Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I have no problem with a believable woman lile tessa becoming champ. I think of wrestling the same way i think of a fighting game like mortal kombat.. well at least some companies present the wrestlers that way. Lucha Underground did it best and now Impact is somewhat going for the same thing

Its literally all fake. I would be a little surprised if an especially dainty woman was world champ but a scrappy woman like tessa is 100% believable to me

I don't think that there is any issue with believability at all in wrestling let alone in this particular situation. Anyone ranting and raving about believability in pro wrestling is purely ridiculous. It's people who are willing to suspend their disbelief for people taking 30, 40, 50 unprotected shots to the head and never bleeding let alone still being able to stand upright. They are somehow okay with nonsense like people just standing around waiting for another person to jump onto them or doing 1000 flips and dives every match and yet THIS is where people draw the fucking line. It's absurd to think that there is even a line to be drawn in the sand with how much absolutely UNBELIEVABLE things happen in a wrestling match yet here we are with this nonsense.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Im pretty sure bringing in Hogan and Bischoff was a worse decision.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It's funny that literally the worst world champ in wwe history says that. I can't came up with anyone throughout wwe history who would suck so much and yet receive push. Some may bring up Jinder Mahal, but we all know why that happen. India $$$. And why Booker in wwe happened I just don't know. So many WCW guys flopped, but he did not.
I just can't imagine why guys from a rival company weren't booked well in WWE. It's not like Vince is known for that sort of thing. . .

Anyway. Booker T is right. Everyone knows it. Putting the belt on a woman buries not just all the men on the roster but holds every other woman to such a ridiculous standard that it buries them to.

It's too late to buy into this type of bull.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
16,540 Posts
He's right, i mean now that shes beaten Sami and won the world title she should be able to beat any of their women with ease, so it makes all of them look bad in comparison to her. And it makes all your male talent look even worse, they gotta put over this small skinny female that anyone with eyes can see they could kill her. When Booker said imagine Becky beating Lesnar or Samoa Joe it really makes you realize how dumb it is, could you ever imagine Becky beating any of those guys? no it would look dumb as all fuck.

Imo this has all just been a way to keep Tessa from leaving their dying company, they're deathly afraid shes gonna leave, so they're putting their top title on her and making her the most important wrestler in the company.

And for those that wanna go "Well shes the most popular and shes the biggest star they got they should put the top title on her", they can easily start booking the womens title to be a bigger deal, let it main event a ppv, build their talent up more, make the womens division seem on par with the mens, she doesn't have to go into the mens division and win their top title to be the biggest star in their company. All they're doing is saying they don't have faith in any of their other female talent and consider them inferior to the men, i know if i was a woman on that roster i'd be pissed that Tessa is being placed above all of the other women and too good to even compete with them anymore.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I like intergender wrestling but you can't do it halfway.

If you let a woman be world champ and still keep the women's division separate, you've told your audience that this one woman is better than all the rest. So it diminishes the value of the women's championship, while at the same time placing the men in a position where only one of them at any given time is fighting against and losing to the women.

So, in a way, it diminishes EVERYBODY on the roster except Tessa.

They should do it Lucha Underground style, where all the women and all the men fight each other all the time. Unify the Knockouts title with the World title and be done with it.

This way, the only women who stay on the roster are the ones who are truly great like Tessa, Taya, Rosemary, Madison, etc.

All the women's wresting rosters outside WWE are very shallow right now, which means companies like Impact and ROH have to end up with some pretty low end talent at the bottom of their women's divisions so that the top women have someone to beat.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
16,540 Posts
I like intergender wrestling but you can't do it halfway.

If you let a woman be world champ and still keep the women's division separate, you've told your audience that this one woman is better than all the rest. So it diminishes the value of the women's championship, while at the same time placing the men in a position where only one of them at any given time is fighting against and losing to the women.

So, in a way, it diminishes EVERYBODY on the roster except Tessa.

They should do it Lucha Underground style, where all the women and all the men fight each other all the time. Unify the Knockouts title with the World title and be done with it.

This way, the only women who stay on the roster are the ones who are truly great like Tessa, Taya, Rosemary, Madison, etc.

All the women's wresting rosters outside WWE are very shallow right now, which means companies like Impact and ROH have to end up with some pretty low end talent at the bottom of their women's divisions so that the top women have someone to beat.
Exactly, great point, while i don't like intergender wrestling period, doing it the way you said is how they should be doing it. Thats why i was saying it makes all the other women look completely inferior and lesser than Tessa, cause they have to be kept in the little womens division while Tessa is above that now and can't be bothered wrestling the women anymore. Its just making all the talent look bad except for Tessa, while Tessa is great shes not that fucking great, we don't need just her being the only one on the show who isn't looking bad in all this.

Thats one reason the intergender wrestling didn't bother me as much in Lucha Underground, cause as you said everyone was treated on the same level, as equals. They didn't just hold one woman above everyone else.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I have no problem with a believable woman lile tessa becoming champ. I think of wrestling the same way i think of a fighting game like mortal kombat.. well at least some companies present the wrestlers that way. Lucha Underground did it best and now Impact is somewhat going for the same thing

Its literally all fake. I would be a little surprised if an especially dainty woman was world champ but a scrappy woman like tessa is 100% believable to me
It is nowhere near 100% believable. It's bullshit. There's a lot of surreal things in pro wrestling, but you drive any lower suspense in this business as a fan and sooner or later you got to denounce bullshit. Or will you watch anything on wrestling that's bullshit? UFOs will land in the ring at any moment? We may as well book Charlotte Flair against Braun Strowman and Braun tapping to her Figure 8. Do you realize how asinine stupid that looks to even imagine? Just because pro wrestling is worked, doesn't mean gravity is! The artform is designed to include some physical realism despite it being a worked fight; people are really getting hit and slammed in there.

Also, you're not going to avoid the perceptions. "I did it for the business" isn't going to mean jack beans dip to the average fan. Callihan will look embarrassing on this show from now on. As soon as he shows up on the show that's what the majority of fans are going to think of him. You lost to a woman, you couldn't beat a goddamned woman in a wrestling ring, there's nothing that will excuse that. Sami will look pathetic. I don't care how many gender-neutral signals you want to teach to the viewer.

You're not thinking this completely through, you just see how great Tessa is and say "well because Tessa is a great performer, and I like Tessa, it's alright". If this becomes a trend, it shifts everything. People are going to start asking why the fuck, if you are a big muscled up male, you would even get in this business just to get kayfabe ass kicked by a woman you outweigh by at least 100-200 lbs, and laugh at you! This lowers men to the lowest denominator you can get in the business.

You're not bucking tradition, you're just making this business look like a turd. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not hating on Tessa herself, I'm directing this totally on Anthem Sports and the ridiculous ideas they've been greenlighting lately.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's funny that literally the worst world champ in wwe history says that. I can't came up with anyone throughout wwe history who would suck so much and yet receive push. Some may bring up Jinder Mahal, but we all know why that happen. India $$$. And why Booker in wwe happened I just don't know. So many WCW guys flopped, but he did not.
The worst world champ in WWE history? Booker T is loved by fans all over the world and is a massive fan favourite. I didn't like King Booker but there was much much worse out there and Booker T like it or not was a TV wrestler for like 20 years. The dude knows what he's talking about.

Not shocking that Booker feels this way.

Listen it comes down to one thing, and if you dont believe that a woman can believably and capably compete with men then that's up to you but clearly Tessa can.
Based on what? She is 5'5 and 57 kilograms (125 pounds). Most average sized men would have at least 20-25 kilograms on her and 5-6 inches of height. From a kayfabe perspective all wrestlers are trained fighters who have trained their whole career to destroy one another. How is it at all realistic that a small woman with 6 years experience in the industry could defeat a 5'11 100 KG (220 pounds) man that has 14 years experience in the business? He's almost double her weight, has a 6 inch advantage, has testosterone, is in the prime of his life physically AND is much more accomplished from a kayfabe perspective.

Believable would be Sami beating Tessa in 5 minutes with her offering a bit in attack but ultimately falling to the bigger, stronger and more experienced wrestler.

While I'm personally against intergender matches, it could be argued that your most popular talent should the world champ, and I think it's hard to argue that Tessa isn't IMPACT's most popular talent.
Put the women's championship on her then and highlight that as the top championship in the company. What a breath of fresh air that would be and it wouldn't be stupid intergender matches. Bring women in from all around for Tessa to fight.

Look, it's not like she'll be champion long and won't have a second run. The only issue I had with the whole thing was that they made Callihan a transitional champion. Dude deserved better.
It doesn't matter if she's having a second run it kills the championships prestige when it used to actually mean something.

So if it's all fake why not just have Don Callis overcome Sami Callihan on the next Impact and have aliens come from the roof to abduct wrestlers and hold them captive?

"It's all fake" is a really bad excuse.

Im pretty sure bringing in Hogan and Bischoff was a worse decision.
How so? Like them or not at one point during their tenure they had 3 million people watching Impact. Impact does under 300,000 now...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The worst decision would that AJ storyline with the crack addict "pregnant" woman.

I will admit that it makes any babyface who wants to get the title look bad because now they have to admit to wanting to fight a woman.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,262 Posts
I don't think that there is any issue with believability at all in wrestling let alone in this particular situation. Anyone ranting and raving about believability in pro wrestling is purely ridiculous. It's people who are willing to suspend their disbelief for people taking 30, 40, 50 unprotected shots to the head and never bleeding let alone still being able to stand upright. They are somehow okay with nonsense like people just standing around waiting for another person to jump onto them or doing 1000 flips and dives every match and yet THIS is where people draw the fucking line. It's absurd to think that there is even a line to be drawn in the sand with how much absolutely UNBELIEVABLE things happen in a wrestling match yet here we are with this nonsense.
So there are no lines in wrestling? Hornswoggle can beat Brock and you'd be cool with it?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Yeah, some fans will use argument "it's just Sami", but let's not forget, Who was defeated by Samy to get the title?

The reason why WWE cancelled the project to make Chyna headline as WWE title contender at SummerSlam 99 even she was over with fans,because it will be like easy option for Austin and Mankind to gain victory.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
So there are no lines in wrestling? Hornswoggle can beat Brock and you'd be cool with it?
They can do whatever they want to do. If they want to make a fucking traffic cone beat Brock they can do it and it's no big deal to me. Is it entertaining? More specifically do I find it entertaining? That is where my concern starts and ends. I'm not hung up on legitimacy nor do I get outraged over a lack of believability(relative to the real world) It's entertainment there aren't supposed to be any rules to it except to be entertaining. DeLorean's couldn't fly and time travel as it stands right now isn't possible but Back To The Future still fucking rocks.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,262 Posts
They can do whatever they want to do. If they want to make a fucking traffic cone beat Brock they can do it and it's no big deal to me. Is it entertaining? More specifically do I find it entertaining? That is where my concern starts and ends. I'm not hung up on legitimacy nor do I get outraged over a lack of believability(relative to the real world) It's entertainment there aren't supposed to be any rules to it except to be entertaining. DeLorean's couldn't fly and time travel as it stands right now isn't possible but Back To The Future still fucking rocks.
You can do anything in fiction as long as you follow your own internal rules. We can buy Deloreans flying and time traveling in BttF because they established the rules: only this specific Deloreans can time travel, because it had extensive modifications, it needed plutonium or the equivalent 1.21 gigawatts of power, and it needed to get up to 88 mph. If everybody in the movie could just time travel whenever they wanted it would've broken the movie.

Wrestling has it's own internal rules too, bigger people tend to beat much smaller people unless the smaller person has a drastic advantage in speed and athleticism, and/or technical skills and experience, and/or the smaller person outlasts them through sheer heart and determination, but however they win you need the commentators to tell the story of how they won, otherwise you won't buy into it.

Put a woman against a likely bigger, stronger, faster, more experienced man and you have to tell the story of how she beat him. Did she low blow him, did she outsmart him? Or did they trade blows for blows and she just magically won with no explanation, because that ruins the fiction.

Somebody posted the Brian Cage vs Tessa match and this huge hulking guy is just destroying her left and right but for some reason none of his moves hurt her and she ends up beating him with a pinning combination. It was awful, this is the stuff that ruins wrestling.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
You can do anything in fiction as long as you follow your own internal rules. We can buy Deloreans flying and time traveling in BttF because they established the rules: only this specific Deloreans can time travel, because it had extensive modifications, it needed plutonium or the equivalent 1.21 gigawatts of power, and it needed to get up to 88 mph. If everybody in the movie could just time travel whenever they wanted it would've broken the movie.

Wrestling has it's own internal rules too, bigger people tend to beat much smaller people unless the smaller person has a drastic advantage in speed and athleticism, and/or technical skills and experience, or the smaller person outlasts them through sheer heart and determination
You make it too easy. You literally made my case for me right at the end. You threw all realism and size/skill based merit out the window by using fighting spirit as an example of the rules of wrestling. If Hornswoggle can out will Brock then it's okay(even by the rules you've stated) for him to beat Brock Lesnar.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts

Wrestling has it's own internal rules too, bigger people tend to beat much smaller people unless the smaller person has a drastic advantage in speed and athleticism, and/or technical skills and experience, and/or the smaller person outlasts them through sheer heart and determination, but however they win you need the commentators to tell the story of how they won, otherwise you won't buy into it.

Put a woman against a likely bigger, stronger, faster, more experienced man and you have to tell the story of how she beat him. Did she low blow him, did she outsmart him? Or did they trade blows for blows and she just magically won with no explanation, because that ruins the fiction.

Somebody posted the Brian Cage vs Tessa match and this huge hulking guy is just destroying her left and right but for some reason none of his moves hurt her and she ends up beating him with a pinning combination. It was awful, this is the stuff that ruins wrestling.

LOL you edited after I replied and busted you on your own rules.

oh BTW it would still work because she WILLED herself not to feel pain.

a further LOL for trying to apply "rules" to an industry that has featured Vampires, Zombies, Undead Morticians who somehow also have the ability to conjure lightning. wizards etc.

Now on to the real reason none of this shit matters. If you can sell it, you can do it. Impact was able to sell their audience on Tessa being able to accomplish these feats, and the audience got behind her and wanted her to see her accomplish them and that is the real POINT of pro wrestling.

Also in regards Back To The Future Old Biff(2015) Who only knew of a flying DeLorean and that it was in fact a time machine somehow managed to figure out how to use the time circuits, that it needed a nuclear reaction or the equivalent amount of power, and that it needed to get up to 88mph by random fucking chance all within the time it took Marty and Doc to get away from 2015 Marty's house. Not to mention that Old Biff wouldn't have been able to have returned the DeLorean to that particular 2015 after giving young Biff the almanac.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts