Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I mean if he said positive, I would had been surprised.

Although strictly from a business perspective and from a consumer, I agree, having a woman hold your World Title beating a man makes your company and your World Title look like a complete joke.

I could never even take the feud between Sami and Tessa seriously? I will say this, Sami certainly needs a promotion or something after all that, everyone will go on and on about Tessa, although I thought Sami worked wonders in that feud and that match.

Of course everyone is going to call me sexist now, although imagine if Charlotte or Becky Lynch suddenly went on and beat Lesnar clean to win the WWE title. It would be a train wreck.

They have a men's division and a women's division and I don't mind a joke ,male vs female match every now and then or a mixed tag match, I just feel for the most part when it comes to in ring competition I think the men should wrestle the men and the women wrestle the women, to maintain some legitimacy and realism.

·
Intoner
6,491 Posts
It's funny that literally the worst world champ in wwe history says that. I can't came up with anyone throughout wwe history who would suck so much and yet receive push. Some may bring up Jinder Mahal, but we all know why that happen. India $$$. And why Booker in wwe happened I just don't know. So many WCW guys flopped, but he did not.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,618 Posts
Not shocking that Booker feels this way.

Listen it comes down to one thing, and if you dont believe that a woman can believably and capably compete with men then that's up to you but clearly Tessa can.

·
The TNA IMPACT Wrestling Guru
205 Posts
Not shocking that Booker feels this way.

Listen it comes down to one thing, and if you dont believe that a woman can believably and capably compete with men then that's up to you but clearly Tessa can.
100% spot on.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
It's funny that literally the worst world champ in wwe history says that. I can't came up with anyone throughout wwe history who would suck so much and yet receive push. Some may bring up Jinder Mahal, but we all know why that happen. India $$$. And why Booker in wwe happened I just don't know. So many WCW guys flopped, but he did not.
King Booker is more entertaining than anything impact crap wrestling is doing now.

Booker is right but some hardcore fans will try their best to defend it. Its part of the tna dna.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
So here's where we're at, let's get to the meat of the problem. Folks.... it comes down to whether you care that pro wrestling, in all its levels of fiction and fantasy, should separate the sexes or not. If you see pro wrestling as a video game or a weekly action hero flick where females and males fight each other by default and females are more than capable of kicking a man's ass on such game or show, then you may be apt to give it enough leeway to pro wrestling.

But if you believe that pro wrestling should maintain just a crucial difference from those kinds of games or shows, in that it should have a realistic factor, you would want to keep men on their roster and women on their own roster. I am one of those who believe in the latter, not the former.

IMPACT is basically saying Tessa Blanchard could legitimately beat anyone in IMPACT regardless of the gender. Basically this is an attempt at gender-neutrality school of thought coming into pro wrestling.

The only way to make it neutral, however, to suspend the level of belief so much in Tessa's favor that she comes out looking as if she can beat anyone man or woman, and the argument's going to be, "well why not, it's pro wrestling and pro wrestling is fake?". Because you got to really dumb down the male in order to do it, that's why. To the point where he looks like a 200 to 300 lb wet noodle, and she looks like Wonder Woman in the ring.

Every single male in the roster now has to tune themselves severely down to Tessa's standard, which already says the sexes aren't 'neutral' if one has to diminish substance to the other.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Realism...not realism I couldn't care any less. They have written themselves in a corner though. I can't imagine there's a lot of men wanting to lay down for her. Surely they dont expect her to drop the title right back to calihan. A champs not the champ till they defend the title.

What's this mean for their women's division or for tessa after thos story is done. Fighting for that title seems like a step down and now all of their women can only win the second place prize.

If it was any other company I'd day this was the beginning of the end. But we've all seen impact survive so much already..

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,246 Posts
While I'm personally against intergender matches, it could be argued that your most popular talent should the world champ, and I think it's hard to argue that Tessa isn't IMPACT's most popular talent.

·
Southern Pride
2,798 Posts
I love Booker T but he isn't thinking this thing through very well.

Tessa was facing Sami Callihan. He is no Brock Lesnar. In fact most men in the WWE are not Brock Lesnar because in a real fight Lesnar would probably woop ass on anyone with his fist.

The only men that shes beaten are guys that haven't exactly been built up as superior male athletes in the fantasy world of wrestling. Disco Inferno has been losing to everyone for most of his career. Dave Crist...? Joey Ryan..? Plus shes already lost to Sami a few times and the story was her overcoming the odds and taking advantage when he wasn't taking her seriously in the ring. Mysterio has beaten giants in the WWE when in reality he would get knocked out.

Impact had little going for them before Tessa started wrestling men. There was little buzz. Making her the champ created some buzz that they needed. Everyone is talking about them. She is the most popular talent on that roster.

Going to Monday nights to compete with WWE was a worse decision, Making EY the champ was a worse decision, bringing in Hogans buddies that were far past their prime in the ring was a worse decision, etc. Decisions that contributed to how scaled back Impact is now.

All men are not equal in athleticism.

PLUS it doesn't necessarily mean that Tessa can't lose to women now or whatever. Look at how they are building Becky vs. Asuka. Becky has already put her hands on a few men (that are about her size or smaller) and yet she hasn't been able to beat Asuka yet.

I'm curious to know if Booker T is actually familiar with the current product in IMPACT overall or if he just made a knee jerk reaction from a clip he saw on the internet of Tessa winning without knowing anything else.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Look, it's not like she'll be champion long and won't have a second run. The only issue I had with the whole thing was that they made Callihan a transitional champion. Dude deserved better.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I love Booker T but he isn't thinking this thing through very well.

Tessa was facing Sami Callihan. He is no Brock Lesnar. In fact most men in the WWE are not Brock Lesnar because in a real fight Lesnar would probably woop ass on anyone with his fist.

The only men that shes beaten are guys that haven't exactly been built up as superior male athletes in the fantasy world of wrestling. Disco Inferno has been losing to everyone for most of his career. Dave Crist...? Joey Ryan..? Plus shes already lost to Sami a few times and the story was her overcoming the odds and taking advantage when he wasn't taking her seriously in the ring. Mysterio has beaten giants in the WWE when in reality he would get knocked out.

Impact had little going for them before Tessa started wrestling men. There was little buzz. Making her the champ created some buzz that they needed. Everyone is talking about them. She is the most popular talent on that roster.

Going to Monday nights to compete with WWE was a worse decision, Making EY the champ was a worse decision, bringing in Hogans buddies that were far past their prime in the ring was a worse decision, etc. Decisions that contributed to how scaled back Impact is now.

All men are not equal in athleticism.

PLUS it doesn't necessarily mean that Tessa can't lose to women now or whatever. Look at how they are building Becky vs. Asuka. Becky has already put her hands on a few men (that are about her size or smaller) and yet she hasn't been able to beat Asuka yet.

I'm curious to know if Booker T is actually familiar with the current product in IMPACT overall or if he just made a knee jerk reaction from a clip he saw on the internet of Tessa winning without knowing anything else.
Putting your hands on someone is different than beating them. Let's hypothetically put Becky in there with oh, it doesn't have to be Lesnar, we'll use someone less dangerous... how about The Miz? We'll use the Miz. Do you really think that Becky would apply the Disarmher on The Miz and he couldn't simply overpower her out of that?

He would be capable of not only overpowering Becky, he'd sling her across the ring with one arm. Then he'd full nelson facebuster Becky and she doesn't have the strength whatsoever to get out of it. He doesn't have to be the most athletic or the most brutal. His standard strength is enough. There's nothing Becky has that would be able to put him down hard enough for a 3 count either. Unless, you are turning the guy into such an unresilient wimp, that he may as well be all but knocked down by a feather.

If you show that Becky can tap out or pin Miz to me in the ring, you're playing me. You're pretty much taking the piss, because I refuse to believe you can't just knock Tessa or Becky around even with all their moves and tricks, eventually. And because she's a woman she automatically gets the sympathy vote with many fans, because THEY KNOW that really she should not stand much of a chance reasonably, whether it is kayfabe or not.

Yeah, it was Sami Callihan, who has taken on Brian Cage, LAX, Moose, guys that are huge powerhouses and beat them, would you therefore say Tessa can beat those guys? I know it sounds like an ABC debate, but you, me and everybody here nonetheless can't escape this question where it concerns pro wrestling.

If Tessa can do that, then yeah, you may as well put the most popular star in WWE right now in Becky Lynch, in there with Lesnar. Well, why not? Cat's out of the bag, it's either you're for it, or you're not. You've just changed the whole science of the "work", by claiming these women wrestlers can beat top male champions. IMPACT spent a very long time working Tessa into this, to use her as a focal point for gender-neutrality in the wrestling business.

·
rasslin
2,510 Posts
Wasn't even the worst decision in recent memory.

That would be the dick boy signing.

Tessa is a good world champ and much better than most if not all of TNA's roster.

·
rasslin
2,510 Posts
Yeah, it was Sami Callihan, who has taken on Brian Cage, LAX, Moose, guys that are huge powerhouses and beat them, would you therefore say Tessa can beat those guys? I know it sounds like an ABC debate, but you, me and everybody here nonetheless can't escape this question where it concerns pro wrestling.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Which is absolutely ridiculous, but Cage put her over out of idealism, not because he couldn't just break her in half like a twig, which anyone booking such a match properly would conduct to be done. Cage has done it twice for Tessa.

Most people are not going to buy into this, it wouldn't matter if he laid down for her 100 times. Are we watching a wrestling match or a cartoon? Now Trish Stratus can beat Steve Austin? Becky can beat Roman? It's jumping the shark, and yes there have been a lot of sharks jumped before in this business, but this one is particularly dangerous. You're sucking the life out of your male wrestlers. I don't buy Brian Cage for a second.

·
Registered
445 Posts
King Booker is more entertaining than anything impact crap wrestling is doing now.

Booker is right but some hardcore fans will try their best to defend it. Its part of the tna dna.
Lmao your opinion is invalid after the first paragraph buddy boy. Impact has got the haters on strings.

Love It

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I was hoping they wouldnt actually go through with it honestly. I suppose if you're looking for a positive at least you can give them credit for having the balls to go all the way instead of half measures like the WWE.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have no problem with a believable woman lile tessa becoming champ. I think of wrestling the same way i think of a fighting game like mortal kombat.. well at least some companies present the wrestlers that way. Lucha Underground did it best and now Impact is somewhat going for the same thing

Its literally all fake. I would be a little surprised if an especially dainty woman was world champ but a scrappy woman like tessa is 100% believable to me

1 - 20 of 64 Posts