Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
#PushElias
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little older but Booker recently spoke on the release of Black and this is what he had to say:

“Let’s be honest. Nothing against Aleister Black or anything like that. The guy can go out and work. We know that. I’m talking about hip tosses, armbars, armlocks, hammerlocks, all the wrestling jargon is what I’m saying. Aleister Black can go out there and do that. But honestly, did Aleister Black wow you when he got in the middle of that ring? Did he make you feel like, man, this is something right here that I have to tune into weekly. Did he do that? Did he do that for you?

“You just can’t give a guy an intro, give him a black gimmick, a dark role, and he goes out there and becomes a star. You put him in a cricketty thing. It did look cool, but understand, you just can’t get that gimmick and think because of the smoke and mirrors you’re going to go out there and get over.

“Aleister Black is a good worker, but I’m looking for guys that’s talent. I’m looking for a guy that’s going to go out there and do things totally different than everybody else on the roster. Aleister Black had his MMA get up, his Kung Fu Karate, black mask for the finish, leg pop on the way around. I get it, but for me, Aleister Black was a guy that didn’t set himself apart from the rest of the guys in the locker room. That’s just a fact.”

I completely agree with Booker here, he's right on everything that he said.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
While I agree that he never set himself apart, he wasn't really given a chance to set himself apart. He was completely mishandled. I'm not saying he was something special but you can't set yourself apart when you are off TV or stuck doing promos in a dark room for weeks. I mean they put him in a feud and released him before he could even have a match he was supposed to have.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
he did kind of do things differently and he was unique. I liked his style in the ring.. only thing is he had a skinny-fat physique and I personally don't like his promos or the way he speaks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
he did kind of do things differently and he was unique. I liked his style in the ring.. only thing is he had a skinny-fat physique and I personally don't like his promos or the way he speaks.
Honestly, I've seen so many people comparing Black to the Undertake etc. It seems these comparisons are many because of him, similar to Bray (who was once also claimed to be the next Undertaker), having a "dark" character who does special vignettes etc.

To me and as a person who watched prime Undertaker (I was a Stone Cold fan) as a kid growing up, and a lifelong fan now as an adult), while I understand these comparisons and also understand why so many people now focus more on "workrate and 'ring skills'", etc now and kind of despise "the look", this is one thing that stands out in my head where appearance was important.

None of these guys (nor many guys ever) could come close to matching the sheer size and strength of Taker, and it was very noticeable. This always added legitimacy and believability to me, especially as a kid. It made the "fear" by "heels" etc when he appear seem real. Black does have a great appearance and very strong/athletic, but still seems almost "tiny" in comparison to Taker. He could just never really bring the same aesthetics in order to be considered a star in that vein.

Not to mention his longevity, and The Streak. While again I was always a Stone Cold fan and not Taker, WM just hasn't ever been the same for me.

This is all just my opinion, albeit in a rather blunt way.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Booker is off here. Black is exactly the guy that was different and unique. No one did anything as cool as the Black Mass and his agility and presentation was great and different. He was just another NXT standout sacrificed on the main roster and barely ever used.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
Honestly, I've seen so many people comparing Black to the Undertake etc. It seems these comparisons are many because of him, similar to Bray (who was once also claimed to be the next Undertaker), having a "dark" character who does special vignettes etc.

To me and as a person who watched prime Undertaker (I was a Stone Cold fan) as a kid growing up, and a lifelong fan now as an adult), while I understand these comparisons and also understand why so many people now focus more on "workrate and 'ring skills'", etc now and kind of despise "the look", this is one thing that stands out in my head where appearance was important.

None of these guys (nor many guys ever) could come close to matching the sheer size and strength of Taker, and it was very noticeable. This always added legitimacy and believability to me, especially as a kid. It made the "fear" by "heels" etc when he appear seem real. Black does have a great appearance and very strong/athletic, but still seems almost "tiny" in comparison to Taker. He could just never really bring the same aesthetics in order to be considered a star in that vein.

Not to mention his longevity, and The Streak. While again I was always a Stone Cold fan and not Taker, WM just hasn't ever been the same for me.

This is all just my opinion, albeit in a rather blunt way.

Pretty much this. With Black, I question if that guy even lifts weights. He is like a walking example of a guy who probably just does a lot of aerobic exercises. Undertaker was typically pretty jacked. Didn't have the ripped arms look but they were still big.

Also helps to be about 6-8 inches taller lol.

Reactions: Heath V

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It's the same old usual crap every time someone is released. Wah Wah Wah WWE misused them, WWE don't know what they're doing blah blah blah. Roll forwards a year and this person hasn't done anything of any note outside WWE and it turns out Vince was right.

·
Banned
203 Posts
It's the same old usual crap every time someone is released. Wah Wah Wah WWE misused them, WWE don't know what they're doing blah blah blah. Roll forwards a year and this person hasn't done anything of any note outside WWE and it turns out Vince was right.
Not in every case. Black was unique. Vinces old ass didn't know what to do with him. Never put him in a position to succeed. As usual. Black was probably the most unique dude on the roster.

·
Registered
#PushElias
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not in every case. Black was unique. Vinces old ass didn't know what to do with him. Never put him in a position to succeed. As usual. Black was probably the most unique dude on the roster.
What exactly makes him so unique? Nearly everyone on the roster could do what he did, his mic work isn't outstanding and the guy looks like he's never touched any weights in his life, he's got that skinny fat physique that's not appealing in the slightest on a wrestler.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
This kinda sounds reasonable until you listen to Tommy End's side of the story.

You can't sit there saying that "This guy didn't get out there and wow me" when he was literally told by Vince McMahon to go home and wait for 7 months for his chance to wrestle on TV!

You ask people for unique offense, then you tell them to not use it. You tell people they need to get themselves over, then you leave them in catering for weeks, waiting for even 10 seconds of camera time backstage, let alone an actual match.

If you look at Black's performance in NXT, you can see what he's capable of. He IS unique, he does have unique offense, his character and his creative ideas are fantastic ... and his promos are good, too. The issue is, we didn't see ANY of this on the main roster.

We saw a guy in a suit, sitting in a candlelit room for MONTHS on end, having no matches.
Then, even that stopped.

In general, Booker's points are good ones. But the fact that he doesn't see any of this in Black really makes me wonder exactly what he's learned in his years in the business.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Black is super talented, and NXT gave us a taste of what could have been.
But I honestly believe his downfall was that his look, gimmick and wrestling style were all too conflicting for the main roster.

The main roster cares a great deal that your moveset and mannerisms fit the charcter you are playing. A classic example is big men who tone down their style and perform less cruiser style moves.

So here is Aleister black, who wrestlers a martial arts style with tonnes of kicks, but he doesnt look like a stereotypical martial artist, and at the same time, his occult gimmick doesnt fit that wrestling style.

I think he would have found more success if he had dropped the occult gimmick and played more of a Steve Blackman type character, og modified his moveset and wrestling style to be more fitting of the gimmick.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Booker had the benefit of working with a creative dept was still somewhat competent. I'd like to see him work today, he'd probably have some stupid dancing gimmick or be the next funkasaurus.

·
Butter My Arse
11,967 Posts
Just curious to find out what other wrestlers out there are similar to Black? My finger is not really on the pulse these days but in the main companies at least I can’t think of anybody. Don’t say Taker or Bray either because the only similarities are that they’re associated with darkness in some way. Take away the darkness aspect and all three are totally different.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
So basically Booker T is saying that if you take away his entrance, theme music, and move set he isn't unique? Well no crap! That's the only possible way to be unique nowadays. Nobody is given the freedom to do anything else. Aleister Black stood out a ton in NXT, Triple H seemed to have no trouble making him feel like a big deal. Vince McMahon strips everyone of what makes them unique.

Aleister Black had a completely unique moveset and an actual badass theme song that you never hear. Sorry the guy didn't take the time to fit spin-a-roonies into his matches. Nobody is allowed to be unique right now because they all have to go through the crazy old man's filter. Hell, we're talking about a company who had EC3 and didn't even place a mic in his hand. A company that had one of the most unique acts in decades (The Wyatt Family) and fed them to John Cena and then split them up because they wanted to make a Raw vs. SmackDown storyline for Survivor Series. A company who had one of the most unique and over tag team acts (Enzo and Cass) and never gave them a single title and split them up within a year. A company that found a way to make one of the most charismatic wrestlers in the world (Nakamura) not feel like a big deal at all.

Booker T can go ahead and blame the talent all he wants. Fact is if he was wrestling right now, he would be a complete failure because the current environment is toxic.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
What the hell is Booker even talking about? How was Aleister Black not unique? Now you could say he still sucks, but he was definitely unique compared to most wrestlers. What a nonsensical analysis by Booker.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts