Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,687 Posts
Did this n!gga really point out his PWI 500 ranking? What kind of mark shit is that?

Comments like Book's are confusing. If he feels this "kid" has a lot of work to do but, hypothetically, Steve Austin feels this "kid" is ready and they need to strap a rocket to him, well what the fuck? It comes off as being bitter rather than offering objective advice. It's clear Book is trying to bury him due to his comments on Goldberg but it's weird to use your status to justify your perspective, as if there's no one more accomplished than you that actually feels this "kid" is doing great.
I feel like top 5 was more a general ranking rather than specific to any publication's opinion, it's kinda like when rappers say "top5 dead or alive". That's just what you say to indicate that you're good.

Um Booker that is why he is in DEVELOPMENT
NXT is NOT development and hasn't been for years. I guarantee Riddle doesn't change one iota by the time he's called up. Why would he even need to change/develop/improve? He's already getting shittons of tv time and being poised to be next NXT champ.

·
Asuka
96,537 Posts
If Booker is talking about in ring then he needs his head examined.....in fact, he should anyway, since he thinks he was top 5 in the world.

In ring is the only thing Riddle has going for him. His look, his gimmick and his promos are some of the worst in the business, but he doesn't need to change anything in the ring.

·
16,687 Posts
I can do that if you want lol Booker wouldn't even be in my top 50

Unless you mean pick a prime year for Booker and 29 better for that one year. Then maybe he could crack the top 25
Take a year of his prime and name everybody who was a better worker. If more than half the list is Japanese don't bother, I didn't have access to 90's Japanese wrestling so it would be a meaningless reference point.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
I feel like top 5 was more a general ranking rather than specific to any publication's opinion, it's kinda like when rappers say "top5 dead or alive". That's just what you say to indicate that you're good.

NXT is NOT development and hasn't been for years. I guarantee Riddle doesn't change one iota by the time he's called up. Why would he even need to change/develop/improve? He's already getting shittons of tv time and being poised to be next NXT champ.
Yes NXT is development to learn the WWE style of doing things and to get you better seasoned. If I had to use a baseball analogy, its AAA compared to the major leagues.

Take a year of his prime and name everybody who was a better worker. If more than half the list is Japanese don't bother, I didn't have access to 90's Japanese wrestling so it would be a meaningless reference point.
I will let you pick the year. I don't watch new Japan so I wouldn't pick that many anyways outside the few I know

·
16,687 Posts
Yes NXT is development to learn the WWE style of doing things and to get you better seasoned. If I had to use a baseball analogy, its AAA compared to the major leagues.

I will let you pick the year. I don't watch new Japan so I wouldn't pick that many anyways outside the few I know

·
Premium Member
14,794 Posts
You think there were 29 workers better than prime Booker T? Please list them.

What do you consider to be prime Booker T?

Plus, Book's comments were based on his PWI 500 ranking in 2001, which is a terrible indicator of how good a worker is, as it's largely influenced by how you're booked. Win-loss record, title wins, main event feuds, level of push, etc., as well as in-ring ability.

Perhaps all of that is needed to assess something this subjective but if you base it solely on in-ring work, I really doubt, at any point in his career, would he be in the top 10. Top 20-25, maybe and that's a matter of how broad we're looking.

·
Banned
1,315 Posts
Riddle's already better than this broken down old man ever was. He should kick his ass, tie him to the bedpost, and make him watch as he has sex with Sharmell. Cucker T.

·
16,687 Posts
Jericho
Eddie
Benoit
Angle
Austin
HHH
Lesnar
Rock
Edge
Taker
HBK
Jeff Hardy
Orton
Bryan Danielson
Punk

yeah he'd probably make the top 20 in that year but on the lower end.

But all time he is not evne close to being in the top 50
I largely agree with the list but there are some glaring exceptions:

Rock
Austin
HHH
Taker
Hardy

I said who were the better workers, Austin, Rock and HHH were turning out extremely basic matches that relied on heat to get over, Taker didn't even start having good matches until WM 21, and Jeff Hardy has never had a good match that didn't have a stipulation.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
I largely agree with the list but there are some glaring exceptions:

Rock
Austin
HHH
Taker
Hardy

I said who were the better workers, Austin, Rock and HHH were turning out extremely basic matches that relied on heat to get over, Taker didn't even start having good matches until WM 21, and Jeff Hardy has never had a good match that didn't have a stipulation.
Either way, he falls in the top 20 of 2002. So in that regard, you are correct. He was one of the best workers in his prime years for those years. That is why I asked if you meant just for his prime years did you mean of all time.

So you proved to be correct going by his prime years.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I watched Books career from day 1, and while he was fun to watch, he could never in his wildest dream put on a match as good as Riddle vs Roddy from the last Takeover.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,608 Posts
Anyone who watched him on the indies knows that he has a big tendency to be prone in indulging the no-sell-pose style of wrestling that a ton of indie guys do but he can switch it up and be very intense when required. He can certainly improve, no doubt but hey, he is also someone who can get the best out of some more rawer guys and mix it up with many different kinds of guys.

I want to say Booker T was trying to be friendly and offers some advice but there is a clear agenda behind his comments. I did think it was funny that he thought he was "Top 5" though. Even in WCW 00 there was were better guys than Booker T (I.E DDP, Mike Awesome, Rey Mysterio, Kaz Hayashi, Goldberg), let alone the rest of his career. But whatever, it was only used as a ready made defence for any backlash. And also, someone should tell him that he is a six time world champion, not five. Just a thought.

·
16,687 Posts
I've seen plenty of Booker T matches and plenty of Matt Riddle matches.

Riddle blows Booker out of the water, so I'm not sure what he's referring to, and it doesn't seem like he does either.
To me that's like saying Ricochet is better than Lou Thesz: it's a different era and a different style is popular now. I feel fully confident Book could do the "spot, no-sell, spot, spot, no-sell, spot, cover, kickout" style too if it existed in his day.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts