Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 2073 Posts

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
Re: The "Book" thread.

The Lord Of The Rings is not difficult, I don't think. Sure it's long, but the story is so strong that it just carries you through. You want a really difficult read by Tolkien, try The Silmarillion or the Unfinished Tales. I love all of them, cause I happen to be a bit of a Tolkien nut, but my God, those books were a bit of a challenge. The Hobbit is easy to read, but then it's a children's book, so of course it's meant to be easy to read.
The Silmarillion was a pretty tough read. I had to constantly check the appendix because I kept getting lost on who was who.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #102

The Lord Of The Rings is not difficult, I don't think. Sure it's long, but the story is so strong that it just carries you through.
Agreed. No matter how many "boring" bits there are, you know there is always something coming up that is compelling.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

I gave up on Illuminatus Trilogy. Way to hard to read

I did buy Children of Dune today. Looking forward to it.

·
Ambrose & Cesaro 'nuff said!
1,987 Posts

Two of my favourites <3

Prey is a thriller and a true page-turner. But what raises Crichton’s books above the average thriller is his knowledge of science and his ability to incorporate that knowledge into his novels to explain, scientifically, what is happening. To make the most astounding plot concepts sound plausible. The concept of the threat to life on Earth in this novel has the characteristics of a maniacal computer game that has insinuated itself into the life force of a modern day plague. It might very well be a ludicrous theory in lesser hands, but Crichton explains it so well that one begins to worry about the possibility of it actually occurring. Perhaps the author is worried as well, hence the ominous warning at the beginning of the book and at the novel’s end.

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will get out, even if it kills them.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

We're on a wrestling forum, and I did like Mick Foley's Tietam Brown, but ... Pride and Prejudice is the shit.

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts

One I'm reading now:

Brilliantly written, Eggers seems to have some natural ability to make his words - and subsequently, the narrative - flow. Its refreshing, and I don't think I've read a narrative quite like that of the main character. Its very understated (the way the character 'talks', describes things, etc) but it's so simple it's brilliant.

And just finished The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams. I was sceptical and didn't expect to like it but it was actually very good, I definitely reccommend that.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

Does anybody here use libraries, or do you just buy??

I've got a few books way over that I found recently. I cant afford to pay the fine, but I want to start borrowing more books. I did plan to post the books back in the night when I can't be caught, huzzah! but I want more books. This is disasterous.

On another note, still fucking reading Lord of The Flies.

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts

My library is terrible. Second hand bookshops or charity shops are the way forward, most people give them books when they've read them once and they're in almost new condition.

·
40,760 Posts

Does anybody here use libraries, or do you just buy??

I've got a few books way over that I found recently. I cant afford to pay the fine, but I want to start borrowing more books. I did plan to post the books back in the night when I can't be caught, huzzah! but I want more books. This is disasterous.

On another note, still fucking reading Lord of The Flies.
I haven't been to a library in years. I usually buy books half price, they're dirt cheap that way.

I don't think I've mentioned this, but I don't like Lord of the Flies. I think it's a total fucking farce.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts

I just buy books, i'm a rereader usually unless I don't like the book much.

Anyone else think that James Patterson is a total hack? Just curious since he is really popular.

·
The Man
15,344 Posts

Currently reading the second book in the Abarat series. Easily the weirdest thing I've ever read.

I never did read Lord of the Flies either, although I have read Catcher in the Rye.

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts

I just buy books, i'm a rereader usually unless I don't like the book much.

Anyone else think that James Patterson is a total hack? Just curious since he is really popular.
I went through a Patterson phase, bought near enough all his books from a second hand store then realised every novel seemed exactly the same. I still haven't read them all and I doubt I ever will.

·
DOOMED
33,209 Posts

i've sort of burnt myself out on reading novels, so i bought the Astonishing X-Men Omnibus. usually find in the summer i can't be bothered to read anything proper due to the heat, not able to concentrate etc.

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts

Ben buy this and then thank me later - http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Shall-Know-Our-Velocity/dp/0141013451/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279916454&sr=8-3

Will and Hand are burdened by $38,000 and the memory of their friend Jack. Taking a week out of their lives, they decide to travel around the world to give the money away. They can’t really say why they’re doing it, just that it needs to be done. Perhaps it’s something to do with Jack’s death – perhaps they’ll find the reason later. But as their plans are frustrated, twisted and altered at every step and the natives prove far from grateful to their benefactors, Will and Hand find that the world is an infinitely bigger, more surreal and exhilarating place than they ever realised.

·
The Power Of Three Will Set You Free
4,022 Posts

I just started reading the first Harry Potter book for the first time ever, way way better than the movie imo. I dont know if I will read the second one or not but the first one is not too bad.

·
DOOMED
33,209 Posts

as i said before though, don't expect me to ask for my money back till about october, too much effort to read novels rit now. so just raid some kids piggy bank and be ready for me to complain.

101 - 120 of 2073 Posts