Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2073 Posts

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
Re: The "Book" thread.

You really should. I loved the whole concept of the book. Good Omens is also another good book by him. It's a much lighter tone but it really is pretty funny. Those are the only 2 from Gaiman that I've read but I have Anasi Boys in my house as I just picked it up from the library the other day.
American Gods is fucking brillaint, yeah +1 here. Strongly reccomend it. Gaiman's really really good. Anansi boys is good but not as good as American Gods, for me. Though that may be because of
My love of all things Norse

Read The Blade Itself recently from Joe Aboercrombie. Interesting book, couple of typical Fantasy style characters but there's one very interesting character. Crippled torturer, enjoyable read and I'll prob continue to series.

·
40,758 Posts

TKOK™;8630250 said:
Seeing as i've read books that are 7/800 pages long i'm not really put off by size unless it's like 1500 pages.
Like jjapples said, George Martin's stuff is easy to read. He's very reader friendly, he's not trying to reinvent ways to construct sentences. His writing flows together. That said, he's pretty much what I'd call a master of the language. He can create some vivid scenes without a doubt, stuff that sticks in your mind and lingers. His books aren't small save A Feast for Crows, the fourth.

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts

Right now I'm reading The Strain by Guillermo Del Torro

It's a vampire horror novel and I absolutely love it. This is my second read through it. It's how vampire stories should be told. :D

Pretty good read, I finished 'Glass so one of my friends is lending me her Vampire Academy series.

I am a bit hesitant, though, as she was the one that recommended 'Twilight' and 'New Moon' to me when 'New Moon' first came out.

I really enjoy reading the books based on Angel's (Joss Whedon's Angel) history, or in this case since it is written by fans, histories. Right now I am reading 'Angel Cursed' by Mel Odom.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts

K so anyone here read Dune? I'm going to pick it up more than likely anyway, but some opinions would be good if you've read it.

·
Registered
955 Posts

For a scholarship, I have to write a 800-1600 word essay on Atlas Shrugged. I'm definitely happy to do so as it is one of my favorite novels ever.

·
40,758 Posts

For a scholarship, I have to write a 800-1600 word essay on Atlas Shrugged. I'm definitely happy to do so as it is one of my favorite novels ever.
I've never read that as I think Ayn Rand is a nut. On the other hand I have tried to read Battlefield Earth, which of course, was written by a nut as well. Maybe I should give it a go.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,977 Posts

I really don't want to get flame for asking this, but has anyone bought an audio book? Do you think it takes away from getting into the story?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts

Someone mentioned books that are "hard to read". What are examples of books that are hard to read and what makes them so? I'm guessing Lord of the Rings is an example because I tried to read Lord of the Rings 3-4 times from the beginning and stopped each time. I just couldn't get into it.

·
40,758 Posts

Wrestling>Cena said:
I really don't want to get flame for asking this, but has anyone bought an audio book? Do you think it takes away from getting into the story?
Why would anyone flame that?

Anyway I don't like audio books very much. They work for really long road trips though. It's a good alternative to music.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,977 Posts

Why would anyone flame that?

Anyway I don't like audio books very much. They work for really long road trips though. It's a good alternative to music.
who knows if there are elitist book lovers lurking these forums :lmao, but yeah I mostly want to get one for work since it can get pretty boring sometimes.

·
40,758 Posts

Yeah work would be a good place for an audiobook for some jobs. Some are pretty well done, read by talented voice "readers"(?).

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts

Yeah I can't get in to audio books. I've tried once of twice (The Gathering storm chapter that was released by audio book) and I just kept getting distracted and being unable to take in what was happening as her voice was annoying.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

who knows if there are elitist book lovers lurking these forums :lmao, but yeah I mostly want to get one for work since it can get pretty boring sometimes.
I've never read one, but off-topic I have been in your situation before & there is one cure for boredom at work when everything usual becomes passive (music, internet etc,,) ; Stand up Comedy that comes in an audio form. Really gets me through a lot of days & ya can simply make ya own by distracting the audio.

Still not finished Lord of The Flies :cuss:

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

Someone mentioned books that are "hard to read". What are examples of books that are hard to read and what makes them so? I'm guessing Lord of the Rings is an example because I tried to read Lord of the Rings 3-4 times from the beginning and stopped each time. I just couldn't get into it.
Was that before or after you seen the movies, man? I struggled to read it after seeing the films. I was young & skipped the first book because I'd seen the first movie,, hmm. Got through it in the end, definitely worth it. Try The Hobbit first, if you enjoy that, you should enjoy LOTR & be able to get through it.

·
Just Remember
1,092 Posts

The Lord Of The Rings is not difficult, I don't think. Sure it's long, but the story is so strong that it just carries you through. You want a really difficult read by Tolkien, try The Silmarillion or the Unfinished Tales. I love all of them, cause I happen to be a bit of a Tolkien nut, but my God, those books were a bit of a challenge. The Hobbit is easy to read, but then it's a children's book, so of course it's meant to be easy to read.

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts

LOTR is very difficult to get into, and as such I have yet to read them.

I buy too many books, I have about 300 and I've probably only read a third of that.

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts

Are the Percy Jackson books any good? I want to read some Greek mythology and thought it could be a good starting point rather than jumping straight into Homer's works.

81 - 100 of 2073 Posts