Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2073 Posts

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
Re: The "Book" thread.

Well I Imagine this book will be as wide in scope as the books get, i.e. characters should start coming together soon (Dany etc) so hopefully things will be ..simpler.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts

Should go back to killing off major POV characters I'd say.

Dany's never getting to the 7 kingdoms...:hmm:

·
40,760 Posts

Ya think so eh Lostfap? That would be shocking for sure, and not make much sense from a narrative standpoint, but we'll see.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts

Nah, that'd make no sense. I'm saying I'd not object to it happening.

Dany Sue's not getting in peril for a while I'd say.

·
40,760 Posts

Yeah of all the characters, she's gotta at least make it to the end. Everyone else is fair game at this point.

·
Just Remember
1,092 Posts

Just finished 'A Handful Of Dust' by Evelyn Waugh, halfway through a biography of Nick Drake, and I'm about to start Thomas Mann's "Doctor Faustus". I can't claim to agree with the people who were saying that studying books at high school killed it for them - I'm a year into an English degree :)

·
Is a Snit Head
22,155 Posts

Reading harry potter books for the seventh time.
Why? I like the Harry Potter books a lot but I've read them and enjoyed them and with the movies coming out I don't really see any reason to read them again. By brother does the same thing and when I ask him why he doesn't read anything else he just says that he doesn't like any other books. It makes me want to slap him around sometimes.

I'm not reading anything currently. Thinking about picking up American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
You really should. I loved the whole concept of the book. Good Omens is also another good book by him. It's a much lighter tone but it really is pretty funny. Those are the only 2 from Gaiman that I've read but I have Anasi Boys in my house as I just picked it up from the library the other day.

I'm currently reading Fire Starter by Stephen King and it's been really good so far. A lot of it has to do with the fact that early setting in the book takes place about 10 minutes away from where I live but I think I would have liked the start anyways.

·
Tap Or Snap
2,539 Posts

Im Currently reading Frankie boyle's Autobiography but am almost done and will be moving onto Bret Hart's Autobiography. After that i might try getting into some Storys or something and get away from AutoBiographys since thats all i ever buy for some reason lol.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,977 Posts

Im Currently reading Frankie boyle's Autobiography but am almost done and will be moving onto Bret Hart's Autobiography. After that i might try getting into some Storys or something and get away from AutoBiographys since thats all i ever buy for some reason lol.
Isnt Jericho writing one atm? Can't wait for it.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts

Currently, I'm reading "The Fifties" by David Halberstam. I enjoy reading about history and finding out things I wasn't aware of.

I try reading at least 2-3 books a month. I am fascinated by history, crime, the classics, some science-fiction, and politics.

Some of my favorite authors...Halberstam, Tom Clancy, John Feinstein, Mark Twain, and David McCullough.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

* What are you currently reading? I Me Mine by George Harrison
* Who are your favourite authors? Don't have one. I have read 13 of Lemony Snicket's books though. Does that make him my de facto favorite?
* Any books your looking forward to? Chris Jericho's new book
* Favourite ever books? Hitman by Bret Hart, Cheating Death, Stealing Life by Eddie Guerrero. I gave up on fiction. I'd rather read about real life or Riverdale.

* How often do you read? All the time, not books necessarily
* How many books do you read? I try to keep it one at a time unless it's magazine I might flip a few at once.
* Do you believe the merits of books outweight the merits of movies? Whichever is better wins. Harry Potter books are better than the movies for example.

I would also like to mention that school has ruined the so called classics for me. How am I supposed to enjoy Catcher in The Rye or Lord of the Flies when I have to answer questions about the symbolism of Holden Caulfield's hat? Oh, the long hair and makeup of the kids on the island represent the passage of time and their descent into savagery? Geez didn't have to dig deep for that one.

Also, Brave New World and Nineteen Eighty-Four are bollocks. Brave New World is the slightly better book though.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts

I got a question on a scale from 1 to 10 how easy to read is A game of Thrones 1 being easy for everybody 10 being pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

I got a question on a scale from 1 to 10 how easy to read is A game of Thrones 1 being easy for everybody 10 being pretty hard.
Easy. It's not a Mr Men book, but it's not Tolkein either. It flows well, it interesting throughout (really interesting) the style Martin uses (switching POV's) if different and keeps things fresh. It's not a chore to read at all. He doesn't dumb it down and his command of the english language is excellent...it is absolutely worth reading. Don't be put off by it's size, you'll get through it before you know it.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts

Seeing as i've read books that are 7/800 pages long i'm not really put off by size unless it's like 1500 pages.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Seeing as i've read books that are 7/800 pages long i'm not really put off by size unless it's like 1500 pages.
It's just under 800...good to hear because a friend of mine refused to read it for ages because of how thick it looked. Finally talked her around though.
What sort of books do you normally enjoy? Might help to know in terms of what you find to be an enjoyable read. It really isn't difficult though.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts

Go read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett or Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard then TKOK. Battlefield Earth took me fucking forever to read (and I can usually put down a 300 page novel in 4 or 5 days, or at least when I was working I could) but then again it was over 3,000 pages. No wonder the movie was godawful.

My Favorite series of books is Lee Child's Jack Reacher series because well Reacher fucking owns (he might be superhumanly awesome, he's a throwback to the western style drifter hero types). Last book i read was the 13th in the series 61 Hours, the cliffhanger ending is pissing me off though, need to wait till october.

Also really enjoyed Greg Rucka's "Atticus Kodiak" books as well. Shame after 5 years I still can't find the 1st one.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

* How often do you read? All the time, not books necessarily
This I can relate to. I read all the time if you count magazines & online.

Does anybody reckon that reading things such as this forum should count towards a steady level of reading?

I know it sounds like if someone was online for ten hours a day wouldnt get the same as someone who read 3 books a week, but if we are constantly reading here that should count for something?

I've never really thought about it, but on the level I read on the internet a week, I think if I put all of that into paper I'd have read a few hundred pages of a book a week easily.

61 - 80 of 2073 Posts