Wrestling Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2073 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to read a lot of books. This is mainly fiction. I am studying at college now and I don't have time to read. I read mostly the necessary literature for study. It's complicated. Besides, I have to write essay now. Besides studying, I work. Therefore, there is no perfect time for this. Some gave me a recommend https://edubirdie.com/college-essay-tutor not to write an essay for myself. I don't know what to do.

·
Devil's Blood
3,370 Posts
I recently got the bug to buy physical editions of the books and read them (they're my current reading project goals). I have read the Hobbit in elementary school so it's been ages but I am familiar with all the films, related video games and have only read snippets of scenes in the Lord of the Rings. Never touched the Silmarillion or other unfinished books and tales.

So I said go big or go home if I'm going to buy these!

I bought the 75th Anniversary Edition of The Hobbit (2012) and the 50th Anniversary of The Lord Of The Rings (2004). I'm trying to scout out out a similar edition of The Silmarillion (30th Anniversary Edition, however it'd be a UK import and over $65.00+ USD). However I might just buy a standard vanilla edition hardcover to just try and match in size (since there was also a collector's edition of the Hobbit I never bought by the same company that made my 50th Anniversary of LOTR so it would've matched.)

·
Banned
839 Posts
I recently got the bug to buy physical editions of the books and read them (they're my current reading project goals). I have read the Hobbit in elementary school so it's been ages but I am familiar with all the films, related video games and have only read snippets of scenes in the Lord of the Rings. Never touched the Silmarillion or other unfinished books and tales.

So I said go big or go home if I'm going to buy these! [/CENTER]
I'm happy for you. A Tolkien fan I see. Not into reading George R. R. Martin's ASOIAF series ?

·
Banned
839 Posts
It's a beautiful set but they're small. Also whenever the lazy bastard manages to write and release the next book it won't match. It'll be twice the size of these.
Haha yeah. I was contemplating buying the ASOIAF 7-book set, Harper Voyager, back in 2017. But I dreaded acquiring them as I would neither read those thousands of pages nor would it be wise to have more weight and space in the form of more books. You've read these, I assume?

·
Devil's Blood
3,370 Posts
Haha yeah. I was contemplating buying the ASOIAF 7-book set, Harper Voyager, back in 2017. But I dreaded acquiring them as I would neither read those thousands of pages nor would it be wise to have more weight and space in the form of more books. You've read these, I assume?
I haven't but they're on the to-do list. Considering I have over 30 Stephen King novels I'm adjusted to expect long reads. It just takes me a long time and the right mindset/night/afternoon.

·
Banned
839 Posts
I haven't but they're on the to-do list. Considering I have over 30 Stephen King novels I'm adjusted to expect long reads. It just takes me a long time and the right mindset/night/afternoon.
I understand. It's been a long time since I read fiction but reading any sort of books does take the right mindset, especially for prolonged reading sessions. Fiction can and does make one keep turning the pages. These days I mostly read books on health and nutrition, spirituality and stuff.

·
Devil's Blood
3,370 Posts
I understand. It's been a long time since I read fiction but reading any sort of books does take the right mindset, especially for prolonged reading sessions. Fiction can and does make one keep turning the pages. These days I mostly read books on health and nutrition, spirituality and stuff.
Yeah, I recently got all of The Millennium Series (Lisbeth Salander Novels) by Larsson and Lagercrantz. That's gonna take a mindset and a half to focus and absorb it all.

:HA

·
Likes wrestling....
8,057 Posts
Just a few books I have read since my last post
Freedom of The Mask......typical of the McMannon, Corbett series 9/10 probably the best series few people know of right now.
Blood of Elves.....recommended by many, I should not have listened 3/10
A Winter Haunting......A squeal that had little to do with the original, still a pretty good read 8/10
The Clock-maker's Daughter.....A unique story, which in itself makes it readable in 2019 8/10
Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes......While lauded by the press, this one was hard to get through 5/10
Kings of The Wyld......A fun modern take on fantasy, this one is clearly written for hard rockers who like fantasy. It was fun 7/10
Dodge City......while promising to be the most accurate story of Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson it was also perplexing why the author told the stories in the order he did 6/10

·
Registered
14 Posts
Currently working my way through the HP books. In the fall, I'm going to start my PhD in English Literature with a specialty in children's and YA lit, so it's sort of shameful that I hadn't read any of them until last month. Currently on book 3.

·
Listen. No really, LISTEN.
5,535 Posts
Currently working my way through the HP books. In the fall, I'm going to start my PhD in English Literature with a specialty in children's and YA lit, so it's sort of shameful that I hadn't read any of them until last month. Currently on book 3.
Read the Rot and Ruin series by Jonathan Maberry. There is some fine YA fiction right there. Coming of age in a zombie apocalypse. The struggle is real.

Seriously very well written though.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,460 Posts
Recently I have read:

George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia: 8/10. This book is Orwell’s personal account on fighting for the Republican Army during the Spanish Civil war

John Perkins - New Confessions of an Economic Hitman: 7/10. Interesting account of a man responsible for spreading the influence of the rich and powerful. I feel sometimes Perkins is too full of himself

Sandy Tolan - The Lemon Tree: 9/10. Awesome account of both sides of the story of a Jewish girl and a Palestine man who make a unique connection in disputed land.

Michael Bradley - The Neverending Present, The story of the tragically hip. 10/10. Not quite done this one, but it’s fantastic.

2021 - 2040 of 2073 Posts