Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 2073 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Re: The "Book" thread.

I think The Shining is somewhat comparable even if it differs a great deal from the book. I still like the book better though. The Shining on it's own though is an impressive film.

The worst book to movie translation I've ever seen is probably Legends of the Fall.
yah man, I agree with The Shining. Just wondering if there's any books that actually surpass the book for entertainment.

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts

Just got done reading IT again. That will always be one of my favorite books. Sadly I thought the movie was pretty terrible. Of course that was only compared to the book.

Before that I found The Five people you meet in heaven at the laundromat. Now I am not personally a religious person, but I could not help but get sucked into this book. It was incredibly well written, the characters easy to envision, and it was actually a very easy read. A good book to spend an afternoon with. It'll keep you thinking through the next day too.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,155 Posts

I've read a lot of Stanford "Prey" series books but I had to stop because it was messing with my head. You see by the last few books I was rooting for the killers because I just started to really dislike Davenport. After hoping that some crazed maniac would get away with a brutal crime and kill a cop I realized I had to stop reading the books.

The books (or maybe there was only 1) that involved Clara Rinker were the best of the series. But again I only feel that way because she was someone that I hopes would kill Davenport....

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts

Yeah that was Certain Prey, and she was awesome.

Virgil "fuckin'" Flowers is cooler than Davenport.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #185

Just got done reading IT again. That will always be one of my favorite books. Sadly I thought the movie was pretty terrible. Of course that was only compared to the book.
It's due to the telvision version that I watched when I was a youngster that I am so afraid of clowns, but now I've read the book I enjoyed it more due to being scared haha

·
Is a Snit Head
22,155 Posts

Yeah that was Certain Prey, and she was awesome.

Virgil "fuckin'" Flowers is cooler than Davenport.
Wasn't sure if you were up to that so I didn't go and say that she's in 2 of the books or it would have kind of ruined the first one. She comes back in Mortal Prey.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts

Cool, I'll go look for that one. I've been reading them in random orders so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Picked up Children of Dune. That is one messed up universe those characters live in. Of course its suppost to get worse in God Emperor of Dune

·
How you doin?
2,879 Posts

Yeh I've got Phantom Prey almost finished that, which has been really good.

I think the library at my school has Certain Prey so if you recommend it i'll go hire it out.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts

I am reading a fantastic classic Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne, I think I may finish it today.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #195

I am reading a fantastic classic Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne, I think I may finish it today.
I know the spine of the book but have no idea what it's about, I'm gonna read that soon I think.

Onto Pipers book at the moment :D

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts

I know the spine of the book but have no idea what it's about, I'm gonna read that soon I think.
Really the title is pretty explanatory. Its about a guy who bets his aristocrat friends he can travel around the world in 80 days via various mean of travel.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts

Around the World in 80 Days although not science fiction was authored by the Father of science fiction Jules Verne in 1873, the man was so far ahead of his time it's mind boggling. Jules Verne also wrote 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and From the Earth to the Moon.

from wiki: Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of space travel had been devised. Consequently he is often referred to as the "Father of science fiction", along with H. G. Wells, Hugo Gernsback and Edgar Allan Poe.

·
Men of Mayhem
7,330 Posts

My fiance finally picked up the 'Sookie Stackhouse' series by Charlaine Harris. I am a huge True Blood fan, and I am hoping that Alan Ball's inspiration came extensively from the books.

I really doubt I will be able to go nine months without my True Blood fix.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts

I just finished The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. He truly is an amazing writer. The book remains controversial, even 34 years following its publishing, but the content of the book is an integral part of the biology curriculum. Most of the knowledge that we take for granted today was cutting-edge in that book.

I am working on Love's Executioner by Dr. Irvin Yalom. I highly recommend any of his books, if you have the opportunity to read them. This is a collection of ten tales of psychotherapy. Very emotional.

181 - 200 of 2073 Posts