Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Don't rewrite the books, just rewrite the titles,
15,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving for years, and for the first time the other day, I hit a patch of black ice. For those who don't know, it's ice that you can't see. The first thing you know about it is when your car goes off in a different direction with you unable to control it.

So there I was, happily tootling off to work over the windy country road, when I hit it. I turned steering wheel one way, car went the other. Being the knowing driver I am, I steered with the skid so as not to lose control. I had to stop this when a field got too close, complete with hedge, fence and ditch.

I managed to regain control and carried on slowly and safely, when what should wander into my path but a sodding pheasant. Don't know if you have them in America, they look like this:

Right into my path it walked. Now, bearing in mind what had just happened with the ice, what do you think: a) the likelihood of me swerving or braking for it was, and, b) the liklihood of feathers covering the road?

I'm pleased the story has a slightly novel ending, because it (and I) could have ended in a field, in thick fog, with no one around. ****ing ice. Be careful out there, kids.

·
▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▓
3,733 Posts
That sucks. Yeah, I have a Pheasant Farm near where I live(in Canada), but I think they are a different type of pheasant. Though they can't live here naturally.

·
Buzz Killington
2,202 Posts
We've had black ice everyday this last week, I plow snow for a private company and it was bad enough Friday morning to where I had to but chains on my tires so I didn't slip off the road.

Not only however do we have to deal with black ice but also snow covered roads making things even worse.

·
Pronouns: They/Them/Their
7,785 Posts
a mate of mine skidded on black ice trying to avoid a fox. His car is a write off now, was worth 4 grand.

·
Don't rewrite the books, just rewrite the titles,
15,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stryder said:
We've had black ice everyday this last week, I plow snow for a private company and it was bad enough Friday morning to where I had to but chains on my tires so I didn't slip off the road.

Not only however do we have to deal with black ice but also snow covered roads making things even worse.
Ya, I'm really looking forward to when there's ice and it snows on top, that melts and then freezes, giving me lots of multi-layer ice.

I wouldn't mind, but if I go the main-road way to work it doubles my journey time. Damn weather.

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Black ice is a bastard. Ice in itself is a killer especially when your just walking along and you happen to skid on it and make a fool out of yourself.

Irrelevant Point: Just got on for the first time this weekend, major 'props' for un-doing the merge. Good to be back home ;)

·
The Unoriginator
8,011 Posts
Ew. I remember about 4 years ago I was walking home with a big bag of Chinese food, and I tripped on some black ice and all the food fell on the floor.

That crap cost me 7 bucks, I was pissed. All that was left that hadn't fell on the floor was 2 egg rolls and some fortune cookies.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Man that sucks for you, my mom was driving a few days ago and we hit some black ice bit we were in a parking lot and there were no cars around so we were ok, but im parking lots thats the place where there should be no ice, my mom was like "Holy S*it" it was sort of funny b/c thats all she talked about of like 2 days. When she was talking to anyone about anything she would say "Yea i hit some black ice and almost wrecked" lol

·
Registered
526 Posts
Back ice is tough haven;t come accross with my winter tires, just some traction issues. Although i did run into this big ass pot hole which seem to come out of no where in the winter. It took up a little more than half the lane, no physical damage but man it hurt.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My brother hates black ice too, he broke his leg a few years ago when he stepped on some black ice, that sucked for him. :agree:

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I had to drive back home from Fresno in it. Fresno is like 45 minutes from me. It was dense as fuck. Couldn't see within 5 feet of yourself.

·
Better Than You
14,206 Posts
Omg, Flash nearly died!

Anyways, l have nothing to worry about since it doesn't snow in Australia, but up at Perisher it does. So l should watch out.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
We eat those birds. Yum.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts