Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He should have had him come out on Nitro the night after the Screwjob and unload on Vince McMahon and the company.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
WCW really did do a bad job with Bret. However, it's a double edged sword because having him come in and beat the WCW guys sort of says that WWF is better than WCW.

However Hall and Nash had been doing it for a while before Bret arrived so it probably wasn't a big deal.

What WCW screwed up on is the big dream match between Hart and Hogan. Lost a bit of money there...

Many people blame Hogan's politics.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bret was in a weird spot he had no personality and came out looking smug with his hockey jersey and hand in his jorts and just looked so out of place. WCW seemingly signed him just to have him under contract and they just threw him into the fray.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No he had a no compete for 3 weeks. That doesn't mean you can't come out and talk on TV.
Nope, he was still contracted to work with the WWF for another 3 weeks, and he got/tried to get permission from Bischoff to work the DX ppv before Bret "settled" with Vince on the DQ finish at SS, and handing over the belt the next day. They didn't have no compete clauses back then, let alone for only 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
15,015 Posts
No he had a no compete for 3 weeks. That doesn't mean you can't come out and talk on TV.
His final date with WWE, thanks to Bischoff trying to do the right thing, was 12/8 and all parties (Bret, Bischoff and Vince) agreed to it.

There's a reason Bret didn't debut until 12/15, the first Nitro after the McMahon suggested & Bischoff approved extension to 12/8. Simply put, he was signed to Titan until 12/8.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
WCW really did do a bad job with Bret. However, it's a double edged sword because having him come in and beat the WCW guys sort of says that WWF is better than WCW.

However Hall and Nash had been doing it for a while before Bret arrived so it probably wasn't a big deal.

What WCW screwed up on is the big dream match between Hart and Hogan. Lost a bit of money there...

Many people blame Hogan's politics.
At the same time if you let all the WCW guys beat Bret, you're down playing the significance of acquiring that big name. That was why WCW took him in, he was top talent.

And if he's now under contract and working for WCW, who cares who he beats. He's a WCW guy and I'm sure if anybody asked him about his thoughts on the WWF at the time he would have severely put them down.

Anyways, that's just speaking to him beating WCW guys, not the quality of his debut in WCW.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
How they booked Hart pretty much showed WCW was nothing more than WCW vs NWO. So Bret comes in and really looks out of place no matter what he does. If he's a face he's outdated like he was in the WWF and too northern for WCW's fan base. If he's a heel he's bowing down to Hogan. He fit well in the mid cards putting on great matches with Benoit etc, etc he was just above that and everyone knew that.

It's tough to book him but I think I would of kept in as his current WWF character before he left and had him feud with Sting on his own away from NWO. Let Hogan vs Sting end clean and then you could start Sting vs Hart, the break up of NWO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has Conrad Thompson ever asked Eric why he didn't put Bret in angle with either Hall or Nash right away? Everyone knew they were Shawn's best friends and that Bret & Shawn had real heat, it just seems like it would have been a great way to bring Bret into the company.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
His final date with WWE, thanks to Bischoff trying to do the right thing, was 12/8 and all parties (Bret, Bischoff and Vince) agreed to it.

There's a reason Bret didn't debut until 12/15, the first Nitro after the McMahon suggested & Bischoff approved extension to 12/8. Simply put, he was signed to Titan until 12/8.
Correct. The WWF even teased Bret being on RAW and confronting Shawn as part of that bait and switch that resulted in one of the midgets coming out in a Bret mask. The buildup on WWF programming leading into that RAW stated that Bret was still a WWF contracted talent. Saying that on television would likely have gotten them into trouble if it were untrue. There was a reason why Rude showed up on Nitro before Bret did.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
It was a screwup of the highest proportions, we all know why. Bret Hart being the hottest thing going didn't work for The Hulkster, brother. Eric was a Hogan bootlicker.

·
Registered
12,997 Posts
Bret has told the story more than once that Vince told him "WCW wouldn't know what to do with Bret Hart" to Bret's misfortune Vince was proven right.

It should be noted that Bret's WCW run didn't last very long until it was cut short by the concussion, but it's hard to imagine the run improving to a meaningful degree.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
He wasn't allowed to wrestle for WCW for a set period due to the no compete clause.

He was said to be in the wrong head space after leaving WWF and didn't really want to be in WCW.

He was said to arrive to the arenas late and left early. He chose not to really interact with the rest of the roster. So he became an outcast.

Owen died.

Bret was off for about 6 months in 1999.

He suffered multiple concussions and chose to retire.

·
Registered
474 Posts
He wasn't allowed to wrestle for WCW for a set period due to the no compete clause.

He was said to be in the wrong head space after leaving WWF and didn't really want to be in WCW.

He was said to arrive to the arenas late and left early. He chose not to really interact with the rest of the roster. So he became an outcast.

Owen died.

Bret was off for about 6 months in 1999.

He suffered multiple concussions and chose to retire.
What is sad, is people actually believe this bullshit narrative Eric Bischoff peddles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a huge Bret Hart fan, for me he's the GOAT, but even I struggle to book him here. You can't really throw him right in against Hogan because he's just lost to Sting, so you can't really see Hogan losing two major feuds in a row. Goldberg wasn't Goldberg yet. You can't put him in the nWo because it was way overcrowded.

Best I could come up with is he immediately challenges Sting for the title?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a huge Bret Hart fan, for me he's the GOAT, but even I struggle to book him here. You can't really throw him right in against Hogan because he's just lost to Sting, so you can't really see Hogan losing two major feuds in a row. Goldberg wasn't Goldberg yet. You can't put him in the nWo because it was way overcrowded.

I think you're right, Bret & Sting probably would have been the best matchup for the Hitman right from the start. Nothing against Ric Flair or Curt Hennig but putting Bret in those "feuds" seemed like an underwhelming way to start his WCW run. A dream matchup against Sting would have got fans way more excited about him.

It's too bad the Starrcade 97 finish was botched so badly. Had it gone off correctly, they could have had Sting come out the next night on Nitro, thank Bret for helping him defeat Hogan and then offer Bret the first title shot as a thank you.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

It becomes a tricky one. The roster was getting massive at this point. I would have built to a Hogan match for the next year's Starrcade or at least, Bash at the Beach, in the middle of the year, but you still run to a lot of issues with so much talent and so much TV time to fill. Picking him up at a time when they didn't need him at a price that was way more than WWF would have given him with no real plan for how they would have used him feels like the fatigue of the ratings war success taking its toll. I think being able to sign away Bret while he is holding the WWF title was Bischoff thinking he finally had crushed Vince. WCW was its hottest and they were now about to take the WWF's biggest star away from them. On the flip side, you have now taken their highest paid star off their hands and also removed one of the older names in their main event scene. They can go younger, embrace a new creative direction, and avoid a potential headache with contract negotiations down the road.

Bret was more or less doomed to get lost in the shuffle at WCW. He was able to jump to the top of the WWF because most of their big names had either jumped ship or been downgraded to part-timers once the business started to sink in the early 90's. In 1998, you have pretty much the same ten or twelve guys who have made up the main event scene in both WWF and WCW since the late 80's plus Goldberg and Page. They would also add Warrior at some point.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts