Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember the "Billionaire Ted's Board Room" segments from 1996? I'm watching some old episodes of RAW from that time period and these have been on every week so far.

The segments are pretty corny, mocking Ted, Hogan, Randy Savage, etc. with lookalikes/"impersonators".

An example, one segment had "Ted" (always referred to as "Billionaire Ted") in a press conference. Some of the questions the reporters were asking him were, and I'm paraphrasing here:

- "Billionaire Ted, is it true that even though you offer double the content of the WWF, you're purposely undercutting their advertising rates?"

- "Billionaire Ted, you own your own networks, so why didn't you put your show on at a different day of the week or timeslot? Aren't you purposely trying to run the WWF out of business?"

And so on. Kind of funny, the segments actually sort of make the WWF look like babies who don't like competition, to me at least.

Also at the end of one of the episodes of RAW Vince talked about an ad that the WWF was putting in some large newspapers (some of whom rejected the ad) warning Ted's stockholders about something. Couldn't read what the ad said though.

·
Asuka
96,569 Posts
And so on. Kind of funny, the segments actually sort of make the WWF look like babies who don't like competition, to me at least.
Of course they don't like competition, did you even hear what you said? The Attitude Era would've been hell on Vince McMahon's nerves. Great tv for the viewers, but for a promoter, I don't even want to imagine having to compete with another product capable of running you out of business. WWE is the only game in town today, he can relax.

Yeah, I remember them. Well, I remember the idea, at least. I can picture the look alikes in my head but I can't recall specifics. Not surprised they happened, Vince has always been in the business of taking shots at anybody who threatens him.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Hey Pyro you forgot the biggest threat WWE has ever had: TNA!

But yeah I remember those segments, they were kinda funny, Billionaire Ted, The Nacho Man, Scheme Gene and The Hukster.

·
Premium Member
44,212 Posts
Those were terrible & very petty.

Its kind of like when Vince had that impersonator of the owner of the Denver Nuggets. Its like "Oh wow Vince. You humiliated an impostor. You really showed him!"

Just lame. Very lame. And I could forgive segments like that IF they are funny...but these weren't funny at all.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I loved the Billionaire Ted segments.

The sad thing is that I appreciate them even more now when I see terrible Pee Wee skits and Santino Marella on Raw.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
They were pretty funny. And true. Like the Wrestlemania 12 one. Where the Nacho Man fought a geriatric Hulk Hogan. The WWF supposed to be the exciting younger show. Which it was.

But yeah, they were pretty.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I know it has nothing to do with the actual topic, but what if Ted DiBiase became "The billion dollar son" or something like that, trying to be greater than his father

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
Those segments are embarrassingly bad.

I would like to think WWE has evolved and outgrown things like that, but this is coming off the ridiculous "Vince's coma" skit from last week.

*shakes head*

And Santino's name has no place in this thread, by the way. At his very worst, Santino has moments of comedic gold. And that's when they place him in the most childish, lame, unfunny situations as possible.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Come on, the Vince segment from last week is more of a "So bad its funny" thing. The whole nacho Man thing was just bad, period.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I know it has nothing to do with the actual topic, but what if Ted DiBiase became "The billion dollar son" or something like that, trying to be greater than his father
Where is Ted Dibiase supposed to get a billion dollars from?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course they don't like competition, did you even hear what you said?
Well I know THAT. I'm just saying that the things he was attacking Ted for, like putting his "wrasslin'" show on Monday Nights so he could "run the WWF out of business", and so on, were pretty lame, and made the WWF look desperate.

It's pretty ironic though: now Vince is a billionaire as well, and a lot of the WWE's best talent is in their 40s. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts