• Shawn Michaels

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Ric Flair

Votes: 3 1.9%
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Cena shouldn't be on this list. Cena's fans are kids and horny women. The other guys on the list had fans of all ages.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
The Rock. By far the most charismatic, appealing, and greatest talent in the companies history.

Reactions: BOOTS 2 ASSES

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Andre the Giant

He's the most popular wrestler of all-time - bigger than Rock, Austin, and Hogan ever was.

I also believe that he is a proven 1-man draw. People paid money just to see him.

Even today, everyone from the little boy to the old grandmother knows of Andre the Giant.

(You don't even have Andre on the poll?)

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
Hogan and then Rock are the 2 biggest WWE/wrestling stars ever. They have both truly transcended the business and are known pretty much everywhere. Austin probably comes after them somewhere.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Cena shouldn't be on this list. Cena's fans are kids and horny women. The other guys on the list had fans of all ages.
LMFAO

If anything, Flair shouldn't be on this list since it is WWE History.

Hogan is obv the biggest star.

Second biggest star is far more arguable. You got Rock, Austin, Andre, Cena, etc.

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
Hogan would be the biggest.

Austin is not far behind

After that i'd say Rock

Then Cena

Then probably HHH for longevity

Then Undertaker

Then HBK

Flair isnt in there

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I would say Dwayne since he was able to appeal to fans who didn't even watch wrestling during the attitude era. He brought in women fans that had zero interest in wrestling, but personal interest in him.

However Dwayne is number 2. Number 1 is Hogan. The guy is known all over the world. There are little kids in tiny asian countries on the other side of the world who know Hogans name. Dwayne isn't quite that big a star. Even his movies haven't given him worldwide fame like that.

3rd would obviously be Stone Cold. While he was the biggest star of the attitude era, he was mostly known only to wrestling fans. Dwayne was able to appeal to a much broader audience.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I think at his peak in popularity Austin was more popular than The Rock and Hogan, but Hogan did it for far longer than Austin which made him a part of like 90% of America's childhood/adolescence for atleast a decade. The Rock has also maintained and even expanded his popularity by jumping to Hollywood.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hulk Hogan

He paved the wave for The Rock and Stone Cold, it doesn't matter if the Attitude Era was more successful financially, Hogan made it mainstream in the first place.

I think at his peak in popularity Austin was more popular than The Rock and Hogan, but Hogan did it for far longer than Austin which made him a part of like 90% of America's childhood/adolescence for atleast a decade. The Rock has also maintained and even expanded his popularity by jumping to Hollywood.
Don't know about that, Rock's popularity peaked in 1999 (he wasn't any more over in 2000 IMO, Austin just wasn't around so it seemed that way) and the years '99 and 2000 were the peak of WWF's popularity. They were dead even in 1999 IMO, both got some of the biggest pops of their careers that year.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I remember a couple of months back when I first joined the forum someone did an excellent post, referencing WWE's merchandise and buy-rate statistics, when determining WWE's biggest star ever. From what I can recall he determined that Stone Cold was easily the biggest merchandise seller of all time (taking into account inflation, availability etc.), Hulk Hogan was a far second. So in terms of merchandise sales, it's Steve Austin. Not sure, if that's what you'd base stardom off though.

I would give you the link but it was from a while back.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
2 of most influential and impact of WWE/F is Austin/Hogan...Austin make money for WWF in 2 years which Hogan make money for WWF in his lifetime.

WCW has hogan which nearly killed WWF but they able to bounce back with one man that is "Mr Mcmahon" one of best heel in wrestling industry. everyone just love to see Mcmahon ass kicked. Vince Mcmahon play that character so well, even tho Mr Mcmahon have low level of wrestling skill but he got so much heat and over with his promos and personality. i didn't follow much Mr Mcmahon fued with Orton or Cena but he's the top guy who been on WWE screen for so long. for me Biggest star from WWF to WWE is Mr Mcmahon.

result of kiss ass stipulation match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvmKVypygp0

Rock win and Mr mcmahon have to kiss rock ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii4FnBnZ-6w

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I remember a couple of months back when I first joined the forum someone did an excellent post, referencing WWE's merchandise and buy-rate statistics, when determining WWE's biggest star ever. From what I can recall he determined that Stone Cold was easily the biggest merchandise seller of all time (taking into account inflation, availability etc.), Hulk Hogan was a far second. So in terms of merchandise sales, it's Steve Austin. Not sure, if that's what you'd base stardom off though.

I would give you the link but it was from a while back.
Yeah, the biggest merchandise sellers are usually those who promote it all time. Rock was definitely was a big time merchandise seller, but in 1999-2000 I don't think he promoted his merchandise as much as Austin did (I think the only shirts he wore a lot were his Layeth the Smacketh Down Shirt and Just Bring It shirt). With Austin you were guaranteed to see him with a T-shirt, same thing with DX, they wore their shirts pretty much all of the time, that's why their merchandise sales are also very high. With Rock you mainly saw him in $500 shirts or a plain black/white shirt on, but yeah, promoting the merchandise heavily helps you out in the long run. IMO merchandise sells are only a small part of what makes you big, DX were one of the biggest merchandise sellers of all time but really, does anyone actually think they were huge stars at the time, I don't really think so, they were midcarders (or in HHH's case uppercarders) at best. What really makes you big is if you can sell out a show on your name alone, The Rock has done this, that's why he's a bigger star than you think. Remember there were huge draws in wrestling before merchandise was ever even a thought, they sold out arenas to get that title in the beginning, merchandise came much later.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts