Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think is the wrestler that had the most tremendous potential, only to have their career tank because of personal choices and bad decisions?

I am not talking about "wasted talent" as in a wrestler that you think a promotion misused, and I'm not talking about an enormous talent that was unfortunately cut short because of an accident (like Owen Hart). I mean the guys who we've actually seen put on fantastic matches that could've gone on to have countless 5-star bouts, but instead, they were distracted by drugs, alcohol, steroids, fame, greed, or any other sort of vice. It's also probably best if we leave Chris Benoit out of this, since it's still unclear what happened. I mean true "SELF"-wasted talent.

I imagine many will say Jeff Hardy here, given the demographics on this site. After watching Wrestlemania X, you could make an excellent case for Scott Hall.

Personally, after having recently just watched some matches from the early 90s, I have to go with Scott Steiner. Steiner had so much going for him. His offensive was innovative - the Frankensteiner and the Screwdriver were pretty revolutionary at the time, especially for a guy his size. He had the All-American look, the perfect tag team partner, the wrestling background - everything. And he could work. His matches in NJPW are great, he would tear up the War Games, and he generally gave his all to every match.

It was his decision in '97 to turn to steroids (no one can deny it... he has an extra "muscle" for crying out loud) that just decimated his career. He bulked up so much that he had to completely change his move set. His temper changed, he was slower - everything was a turn for the worse. He might have felt compelled to do it in WCW with Hogan around, etc., but he could've easily turned away and had a successful career in Japan, possibly even a return to the WWF. Instead, his career went down the tubes and I don't think he's been in a good match since 1998.

So that's my case for Steiner. Who do YOU think made the worst personal decision and threw all of their potential away?

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Scott Hall without a doubt, this guy could of been a world champion if he didn't have such a love for the alcoholic liquids.

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
Not really a good example cuz 2 of those guys were already main eventers and Test was terrible.
I think he means that all 3 died faster than they should have because of bad decisions. Although Test was pretty much abusing roids. You could tell from his run on ECW.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Scott Hall, still my favorite of all time but should have been one of the all time greats.
Rick Rude should never have cut his hair, he was never the same after he lost the mullet. Marty Jannety, Carlito also could have been a lot bigger.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Definitely Scott Hall... sad story. Carlito could be part of this list too but hopefully we'll see him in TNA now since his no compete clause is up and maybe he'll smarten up if he's in a new company.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Carlito- Drugs, had a loud mouth and lazy despite the fact that he had all the talent in the ring.
Chris Masters- 2 Wellness Policy Violations
Scott Hall- Do I need to explain?
Umaga- He really did screw himself over.
Why Umaga?

Also, I seriously doubt Masters would have been a WWE Champ by now or something. He got the same push Carlito got (they both did well in the Chamber), but they realized he's shit on the mic.

Scott Hall is the ultimate self-wasted talent.

Jeff Hardy comes to mind too. Yes, he's had title reigns and he is extremely popular but how many reigns would he have had, had he not fucked up and left for TNA, only to come back and leave again for TNA? :rolleyes: He needs to lay off the drugs.

Maybe William Regal, he had serious drugs issues, plus when he won King of the Ring 2/3 years ago he violated the wellness policy.

Maaaybe Muhammed Hassan/Mark Copani. I mean, it wasn't his fault UPN wanted him off the air because of a segment, but he asked to be released afterward to pursue acting and that doesn't seem to have taken off. They could have repackaged him, or he could have gone to TNA. He had the look, and especially the charisma.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Dynamite Kid is the biggest example of this surely. His drug, pill and steroid abuse masked his injuries until they literally crippled him. He was an incredible worker.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts