Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2004, the Yankees lost to the Red Sox in the ALCS. The rivalry, the vocal fans, and thrilling comeback made this series so memorable.

And of course Boston won the World Series 4-0. They broke the Curse of the Bambino, which was a legendary story of baseball.

With all the emotion of the ALCS, some people think beating the Yankees was bigger for the Red Sox than actually winning the World Series.

What do you think?

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Beating the Yankees was definitely a bigger deal because it kind of felt like it was the World Series. It is still painful for me to think about, much less watch the documentary. I am a Yankee fan to the bone and was talking big boy shit to everyone at work and needless to say I wanted to lay out of work after game 7.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,977 Posts
I remember game 5 being 14 innings, and Soxs forcing game 6. Tide had turned.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Actually, Bill Mueller had hit a walkoff against Rivera earlier that year to start turning the season around. For the ALCS: Game 5 Papi's 2nd straight walkoff was when the "Maybe?" feeling that we could win. The big question was "Ok, what can curt Schilling do?"

and the rest is history.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Game 6 was really intense. Schilling's bloody sock, the calls overturned in favor of Boston, the riot police, Yankees almost tying it at the end.

For a long time it was hard to imagine the curse being broken could be overshadowed by anything in the same season.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Dave Roberts.

End of thread.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts

There is really no one thing. But this documentary is pretty sick so definatley the whole comeback from 0-3. I think game 6 was the biggest moment because their bullpen was fucked if Schilling doesn't pitch that effectively.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,559 Posts
Beating the Yankees was for sure bigger than the world series. Dave Roberts steal in game 4 is still one of my favourite moments from that serious. Such a game changing moments. Actually I did a speech in speech class on that moment.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Without cheating I'm pretty sure Millar drew the walk and Roberts pinch ran. Pretty sure Theo got Roberts at the deadline from the Padres? My memory is fuzz on those details. But yeah Roberts steals second, Mueller gets the single, they win in extras. The Red Sox were America's team for two weeks. No way they were going to lose that World Series. It was almost anti climactic.

God I love baseball more than a 33 year old man should. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Beating the Yankees was definitely a bigger deal because it kind of felt like it was the World Series. It is still painful for me to think about, much less watch the documentary. I am a Yankee fan to the bone and was talking big boy shit to everyone at work and needless to say I wanted to lay out of work after game 7.
Die hard Texas Rangers fan since I was 9 years old. I will take game 6 (happened on a Thursday) of the 2011 World Series to my fucking grave if the Rangers never win the big one. One strike away in two different innings? The 86 Red Sox and Buffalo Bills got nada on my Rangers. I didn't go to work until the following Tuesday. Granted I took a few days off just in case there was a celebration in Arlington I had to go to. Maybe someday. Damn now I'm sad. Red Sox....do me a favor and beat the Cardinals.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

There is really no one thing. But this documentary is pretty sick so definatley the whole comeback from 0-3. I think game 6 was the biggest moment because their bullpen was fucked if Schilling doesn't pitch that effectively.
It is a great documentary, but it it took me almost a week to sit through it all because I hated having to relive it.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,977 Posts
God I love baseball more than a 33 year old man should. Oh well.
There is nothing wrong with having a strong passion for baseball, I know I feel emotionally invested in baseball more than any other sport and will continue so well into my death bed.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
^^

True story.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,559 Posts
As a 20 year old Canadian my love of Baseball is far more than any person at the University I am attending in the States. Me and my Cousin both Canadian love baseball more than anyone here.

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
I'm not from Boston so I don't know for sure but I can't imagine that beating Yankees was bigger than winning the World series. That's just wishful thinking on your part. You want to keep that rivalvry going so you remember what you want to remember.

·
It me.
13,505 Posts
I'm not from Boston so I don't know for sure but I can't imagine that beating Yankees was bigger than winning the World series. That's just wishful thinking on your part. You want to keep that rivalvry going so you remember what you want to remember.
I hate both teams now, but as a non-Yankees fan living within 30 miles of Yankee Stadium, I can say for sure that coming back to beat the Yankees in the ALCS was bigger than winning the World Series for any of the local Red Sox fans.

The World Series win was pretty much a foregone conclusion after that. There was no way they were blowing it against the Cards. Not after that.

Shit, I'm sure there are a great number of people who don't even know who the Red Sox played in the World Series that year. But they all remember the ALCS comeback.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts