Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dolph Ziggler

Votes: 11 8.6%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,100 Posts
I consider guys like Rude, Roberts, Dibiase, Perfect, and Piper to be stars. They were just from an era dominated by a bigger star and didn't get to hold the top spot. It isn't like they weren't heavily utilized. Out of that bunch I've always preferred Jake. Just barely though.

Now if I'm looking at what has constituted what I feel like a star for quite a long time now, my answer is Muhammad Hassan. He was literally cut off just at the moment he was about to be allowed to really shine.
Absolutely,

I think it's a tad bit insulting to some of theses guys, insinuating that they were not mega stars. or did not get that "extra push?"

I mean no offense OP. Seriously I enjoy your posts and this is the second thread in a row I have sounded like "get off my lawn guy" sorry,

But back then Piper, Dibiase, Jake, Rude....they were mega stars. There was nothing on the cusp about any of them. I mean Piper headlined two of the highest profile matches in the history of the era. Dibiase was the main heel in the world for over two years, and so on.

As far as the Jake answers....he went about as far as he could, or should have.

There was only one Hulk Hogan, no one in that era could touch him, or had any right too. However Piper and Dibiase especially were about as over as anyone ever, and I garuntee you they did not feel like they were "on the cusp" and no one around during that time thought they were either.

My answer would be Butch Reed, or Wade Barrett

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,409 Posts
Christian. He was one of the best in-ring, his character work was great as both face and heel, the fans liked him. I don't know what the hell stopped them from pushing him more.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Absolutely,

I think it's a tad bit insulting to some of theses guys, insinuating that they were not mega stars. or did not get that "extra push?"

I mean no offense OP. Seriously I enjoy your posts and this is the second thread in a row I have sounded like "get off my lawn guy" sorry,

But back then Piper, Dibiase, Jake, Rude....they were mega stars. There was nothing on the cusp about any of them. I mean Piper headlined two of the highest profile matches in the history of the era. Dibiase was the main heel in the world for over two years, and so on.

As far as the Jake answers....he went about as far as he could, or should have.

There was only one Hulk Hogan, no one in that era could touch him, or had any right too. However Piper and Dibiase especially were about as over as anyone ever, and I garuntee you they did not feel like they were "on the cusp" and no one around during that time thought they were either.

My answer would be Paul Burchill, Butch Reed, or Wade Barrett
Piper is not on this list. I agree he is a star, was a star, no question about it.

Jake was the only guy on the list i was worried of putting on the list because he was so very close to being on that upper tier...but that's my point. And Dibiase did main event a wrestlemania, so i agree maybe he's the guy that doesn't belong here.

But Rude and Perfect absolutely belong on this list. Neither of those guys were pushed to their absolute fullest potential...and ill say the same about Jake.

All of these guys were just about there but didn't get that extra nudge to be put on Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Andre the Giant, Piper, Flair, Sting, Dusty (last 3 for JCP) level.

I can conceded Dibiase and maybe jake but not rude and perfect. Those guys were NOT used to their fullest potential. Same with the rest of the guys on the list.

Butch Reed was "on the cusp"?

·
Likes wrestling....
8,100 Posts
Piper is not on this list. I agree he is a star, was a star, no question about it.

Jake was the only guy on the list i was worried of putting on the list because he was so very close to being on that upper tier...but that's my point. And Dibiase did main event a wrestlemania, so i agree maybe he's the guy that doesn't belong here.

But Rude and Perfect absolutely belong on this list. Neither of those guys were pushed to their absolute fullest potential...and ill say the same about Jake.

All of these guys were just about there but didn't get that extra nudge to be put on Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Andre the Giant, Piper, Flair, Sting, Dusty (last 3 for JCP) level.

I can conceded Dibiase and maybe jake but not rude and perfect. Those guys were NOT used to their fullest potential. Same with the rest of the guys on the list.

Butch Reed was "on the cusp"?
Butch Reed was hot when he first came in but for whatever reason Vince soured on him quickly. He was my guy so Im probably being biased.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
In the 80s and 90s, there were a ton of those "ALMOST THERE" wrestlers that had all the talent in the world, and really could've been on that upper tier of stars, but.... just didn't get there.

Which ONE is the biggest head shaker... the one that needed just a little extra umph to get over... the one that could've been on the level of Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Bret, HBK?

Note: You CAN use hindsight for this poll. So you know some of these wrestlers demons and you know the baggage that might come from a push. OR!! You say, with a better push, and a better atittude, the demons would never come up.

- Jake the Snake
- Ted Dibiase
- Mr Perfect
- Ravishing Rick Rude
- Owen Hart
- Razor Ramon
- Rob Van Damn
- Big Boss Man
- Vader (in WWF)
- Christian
- Booker T
- Cody Rhodes
- Ryback
- Dolph Ziggler

*I consider Piper, Edge, D Bryan, CM Punk, Jericho all to be stars in their own right*

*Jake never got... THERE. Piper had the hollywood career to help him. Jake did not*
Sid Justice - WWE wanted him to be the next Hulk Hogan, and unlike other attempts to generate a new FOTC this one was actually working. But the company got cold feet after Sid suffered a triceps injury and the steroid controversy heated up. Sid went from being the future foundation of the company to a heel opponent for the Warrior.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,615 Posts
If I had to pick just one, Rick Rude definitely.

He was a total package and was always surprised that he wasn't a bigger star.

·
#HAIRBEAR #TEAMPALE
5,250 Posts
This makes me think of the RAW roster in the Ruthless Aggression era. At the time I liked the Evolution story line, and the fallout was really good also. Vacant had a fun 6 month reign as well I enjoyed. But Jericho, RVD and even unmasked Kane (before it became stale) not getting much past the mid card was a waste. Goldberg getting it longer than the 3 of them combined was gross then and still is now. Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash came closer to the gold lirl. Jericho is one the GOAT's but he should have way more accolades and been booked much better than he was. Even his undisputed reign was booked like garbage. Good thing he is too amazing to become irrelevant and finds ways to reinvent himself.

I'll say Bray Wyatt. I haven't been watching for almost 2 years but he was one of the best things they had going for a while and they just never put him over when they had to. By the time I stopped watching, his spark ran out and he was just repeating the same stuff. I think he could have been great instead of what he seems to be now.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
voted Christian.

I watched wrestling in the 80s, but I was a kid. So it's a bit harder for me to relate. Jake, Dibiase, Rick Rude, Mr Perfect...all those guys it's a bit harder for me to pinpoint any missed opportunity with them.

Out of the rest, Christian was the easy choice. I remember he was doing some absolutely awesome stuff...I think it was during his feud with Cena. He even had some moments with The Rock. He was awesome on the mic - they just never went full out with him.

I don't think any of the other modern guys you listed had as much potential as him to main event.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,544 Posts
Dolph Ziggler in 2014(?) after he won the Survivor Series was a Star in waiting...then HHH and Vince remembered the only people they push thesedays is The Shield and jobbed Ziggler out for years.

Cody Rhodes, Ryback, 2016 Miz are good shouts as well.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Dolph Ziggler in 2014(?) after he won the Survivor Series was a Star in waiting...then HHH and Vince remembered the only people they push thesedays is The Shield and jobbed Ziggler out for years.

Cody Rhodes, Ryback, 2016 Miz are good shouts as well.
nah Miz is a star. could he be 'even higher'? Definitely...but in today's wrestling landscape, he's there.

Plus, the guy was given a WWE title win at wrestlemania.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,544 Posts
nah Miz is a star. could he be 'even higher'? Definitely...but in today's wrestling landscape, he's there.

Plus, the guy was given a WWE title win at wrestlemania.
I'm thinking long term. He got one great push well paced push...then got steamrolled by Super Cena and has been a comedy jobber since. The guy should have been a consistent Main Event guy.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,199 Posts
Out of those on the list, simply has to be Rick Rude.

He got me into wrestling.

·
Premium Member
18,164 Posts
Rick rude is a defo shout

Although my heart also says Van Dam was an easy main event star. He literally oozed charisma and the fans cheered for him like nuts every week despite him having no actual character and not actually being that great on the mic.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Muhammad Hassan for sure, that dude was about to become a huge foreign heel & literally got fucked over due to bad timing which I feel would've been more acceptable today :shru

From the list it's Rude

·
Registered
672 Posts
bossman in his original run had a great gimmick that worked as a heel or a face but only got titles as a throwaway in his 2nd run.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts