Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are misconceptions about a lot of things in the world but I'm interested in hearing which one's your state has and seeing how far off they are. As you may or may not know I am from NJ, the most mocked state in the US. There are many misconceptions people make that I want to correct:

First and foremost NOBODY in NJ says Joisey, I don't know why people think we do but I don't say it like that and have never heard anyone else say it like that. Usually people who aren't from the Tri State Area think we say Joisey and have these ugly accents which we don't.

Not everyone here has mob connections.

This isn't a misconception made by people but I think everyone should know there is a BIG difference between North and South NJ. The South is closer to Philadelphia and because of that are highly influenced by Philly culture they have Philly like accents and many of them are Phillies and Eagles fans. Whereas the North (where I'm from) is closer to NYC and we're more influenced by NYC culture, some of us have NY like accents and most of us are Yankees and Giants fans.

Most of the Jersey Shore cast aren't even from here, hell Pauly D is from Rhode Island!

Well those are the one's I can think of right now, also if you aren't American then you can list misconceptions about your version of a State.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,975 Posts
Im from California, so whatever people say negative about it are probably right.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,268 Posts
People sometimes think of New York only as NYC and don't think about or realize that New York is a huge state and most of it rural.

And every negative thing about Jersey is true. Worst state ever.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People sometimes think of New York only as NYC and don't think about or realize that New York is a huge state and most of it rural.

This is the kind of Jersey disrespect I'm talking about!

But that is true about how everyone only cares and thinks about NYC and not the rest of the state.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I live in the Bluegrass State... but the grass isn't blue.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
I live in Georgia. The white southern drawl people are becoming a minority and everybody else doesn't talk like that and we're not all so friendly like some people think.

It gets as cold here in the winter as anywhere else in the country but it has it's up and down days when it comes to the whether. What I'm saying is it's not really that kinda weather you get in Florida over here. Georgia should not be put into that stereotypical Texas, Arizona, Flordia, California type of hot climate category but for some reason it is. I'd say the weather has been more closer to New York weather in the last few years here.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I live in Wisconsin, where stereotypes run amok. For example:

-We're all fat....I honestly don't see it. Yeah there are a lot of fatasses here but there are fatasses everywhere. Based on my limited experience, I'd say there are a ton more fatties in Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska. Watch the UW-Whitewater football game on ESPN next Saturday and tell me those chicks aren't hot.

-We're all hillbilly ********....Also not true. In fact, people that drive their jacked up trucks wearing their Carhartt jackets with a can of chew in their pockets are the ones that get the most ridicule here. NOBODY likes them aside from their own cirlce of other douchebag friends.

-We're all drunks.....I guess I can't really dispute that but if you lived in a state that was cold 8 months out of the year wouldn't you try to combat that too?

·
Premium Member
44,440 Posts
I live in Maryland, which is really just an outside border around DC more than anything else. Delaware also prevents from being the edge of the map, so its like we're almost notable, but not quite.

Anyways, misconception...I've talked to some Northerners (New Yorkers for example) who think that Maryland is a Southern Hick state and its really not. We're middle of the road between North & South.

·
Kirk
2,565 Posts

True. That's why teams like the Buffalo Bills are ignored in metro New York even though they're from New York State.Also living in Long Island feels like being separate from the rest of New York.

Just with Long Island people probably think we're all rich and live in the Hamptons and the weather is nice year round.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I live in Wisconsin, where stereotypes run amok. For example:

-We're all fat....I honestly don't see it. Yeah there are a lot of fatasses here but there are fatasses everywhere. Based on my limited experience, I'd say there are a ton more fatties in Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska. Watch the UW-Whitewater football game on ESPN next Saturday and tell me those chicks aren't hot.

-We're all hillbilly ********....Also not true. In fact, people that drive their jacked up trucks wearing their Carhartt jackets with a can of chew in their pockets are the ones that get the most ridicule here. NOBODY likes them aside from their own cirlce of other douchebag friends.

-We're all drunks.....I guess I can't really dispute that but if you lived in a state that was cold 8 months out of the year wouldn't you try to combat that too?
All true. Particularly about our women. I've traveled the country and I'll swear on whichever holy scripture you hand me that we have the hottest women anywhere in the U.S.

To add another one, I grew up in Wisconsin but went to college in Illinois, which for you geography majors is right next to Wisconsin. I swear to God, everyone assumed I grew up on a farm. How asinine is that? Why does everyone think Wisconsin is one giant grazing field? We have cities, damn it.

Another one would be that we're all Packers fans, which is true of all the smart people. :D

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Nothing really. The most common statement I hear about NC is that it's beautiful(with an emphasis on how beautiful the mountains are) and I can't disagree with it.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
To add another one, I grew up in Wisconsin but went to college in Illinois, which for you geography majors is right next to Wisconsin. I swear to God, everyone assumed I grew up on a farm. How asinine is that? Why does everyone think Wisconsin is one giant grazing field? We have cities, damn it.
I can't believe I forgot about the farming thing and you're exactly right. The southern part of the state is made up of a lot of farming communities but once you get north of the Dells that really seems to drop off. That's when you get into those creepy lumberjacks that live in the woods and don't see a woman for months at a time....

Nice call on the Packers. Hopefully we don't overlook the Lions tomorrow with that gauntlet of the Pats, Giants, and Bears coming up.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
I'm from Texas, so yeah... there's about a million misconceptions. Mainly that we're all farmers and cowboys, we wear those big hats, we talk like ********, go to rodeos, and all own cows and horses, etc. Those people exist here, but they're not very common. Dallas, Houston, and Austin are pretty humongous cities with lots of big buildings and there's just as many upper middle class suburban douchbags here as any other big city. There's also predominately-black ghettos in every city. Very diverse too. Within the major cities, it's almost a 1:1:1 ratio of caucasions, african americans, and hispanics. Its different out in the rural towns which are mostly white.

And for the record, I don't have an accent. At least not a distinct one. It comes out a little when I'm drinking though. Or so I've been told. I also know shit loads of liberals, half of my family is liberal actually. Not me though. I'll admit, George W. was my boy.
I live in the Bluegrass State... but the grass isn't blue.
Nah, that's Boise, Idaho...

·
Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
25,685 Posts
Hiplop™;9128500 said:
i do not live in an igloo nor do i have a pet polar bear.
What are you talking aboot? We ALL have igloos and have pet polar bears that we ride around. We can also all speak French.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts