Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been many moments in the history of pro wrestling that have been surprising. There have been memorable moments. But none as shocking as the 10 biggest jaw dropping moments in wrestling history.

This list does not include high spots in matches or breaking news. It is moments that happened on television that were truly SHOCKING.

10. WWF buys WCW

I remember the weeks and months leading up to the final demise of WCW, and everything I read was that Eric Bischoff and his investors were in the final stages of purchasing WCW from Turner.

So much so that Bischoff was consulted on storylines and the direction of the company.

Eric Bischoff was on record saying he was sitting at the beach when he got a call from his lawyer in which he was told, "We're done."

Bischoff thought the purchase was complete, even he was shocked because out of nowhere, Vince McMahon and the WWE swooped in a bought WCW for pennies on the dollar.

What a way to end the Monday Night Wars. I still wish Bischoff would have bought WCW.

9. Eric Bischoff revealed as Raw GM

Continuing with the theme, who would have thought with all the bad blood and the history between these two men that Eric Bischoff would show up on WWE television.

Bischoff would have never thought it was possible, of course McMahon would have always accepted it.

WWE didn't do a GREAT job at hiding the secret but it was still jaw dropping watching it happen.

8. Vince McMahon gets blown up

Wow, now that I write this, Vinnie Mac has been a part of some shocking moments. You knew while watching that something was bound to happen.

The camera following Vince out of the building was not normal. But nobody expected this.

This was supposed to be WWE's big storyline. They still haven't found a way to find a replacement. But the scene was so shocking local news picked up the story as legitimate news.

The scene left the Internet buzzing and it was something never seen before in wrestling.

7. Bret Hart wins first WWF title

Ric Flair debuts on WWF TV with the WCW title

And Vince McMahon used to get mad when his wrestlers showed up on Nitro with their WWF titles? Karma!

In one of the most brilliant, yet shocking, moments in wrestling history, Ric Flair was introduced on WWF TV by Bobby Heenan as the real world's champion and carried out his WCW title belt.

This was a watered down smaller scale version of the Scott Hall/nWo "takeover" in which you were led to believe Ric Flair was still WCW champion and representing their organization in an attempt to take the WWF title from Hulk Hogan.

Of course, the match never happened and the ball was dropped, welcome to WWF booking.

It will still go down as genius and shocking!

5. Shawn Michaels attacks Marty Jannetty

Shawn Michaels attacks Marty Jannetty on set of The Barber Shop

I never liked the Rockers, maybe that's why I never could stand Shawn Michaels. But when he threw Jannetty through that window on the set of Beefcake's Barbershop on Superstars, it was a jaw dropping moment.

Again, there was no internet rumors to let everyone know Michaels was going to be given a singles push.

Usually WWF didn't swerve much back then so when they seemingly made up from their argument everyone thought the Rockers were back.

I remember when heel turns were shocking, those days do not exist. Heenan also had a classic quote during this segment:
"Told ya! See one without the other isn't any good."

Then two seconds later, "I just knew he was gonna do that! He don't need Jannetty! I told you that off and on."

4. Andre the Giant attacks Hulk Hogan

Andre the Giant attacks and challenges Hulk Hogan

In a time when these things were so rare, two friends became bitter enemies when Andre the Giant sold out to Bobby Heenan and challenged Hogan for the WWF title at WrestleMania III.

For years these two were close friends on WWF television so when Andre ripped the cross right off of Hogan's neck it was chilling and a moment that will be forever remembered in wrestling.

3. Vince McMahon screws Bret Hart

The Montreal Screwjob

It was so shocking people to this day still talk about it. In the only "real" shocking moment to make the list Vince McMahon literally screwed Bret Hart out of the WWF title.

Known as the Montreal Incident, McMahon needed the title off Bret and didn't trust that Bret would show up on Raw the next night to relinquish his title so he decided to screw him out of it.

The Internet and wrestling world buzzed for YEARS after this event.

2. Scott Hall invades WCW

Hulk Hogan turns heel and joins the creates the nWo

I can remember being shocked when this happened. No one predicted this. Hulk Hogan, Americas hero had just turned heel.

There is almost no words that can describe that moment, but shocking!​

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Thanks for writing that list, was nice watching the videos of some of my favourite moments in history. I always thought Alunda Blayze/Madusa throwing the WWE Woman's title in the bin on Nitro was pretty jaw-dropping at the time.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
While I enjoyed this, I thought this was going to be about moments in matches. Not promos.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Stone Cold turning heel:Not the best if you judge now but it was jaw-dropping
1.It was unexpected
2.It was in Texas,nobody expected Austin to team up with McMahon at WM17 after such a great match

In terms of impact it created,Hgan heel turn is greatest
But for sheer OMG moment and stupidity on who thought that moment,it was Austin's heel turn

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
for me it was Christian winning the World Heavyweight title. I never would have believed that Christian would win against Del Rio Vince´s pet project. When he touched the title and had in his hands my jaw nearly fell off and the next second I was jumping and down. I throw the remote control against the wall and was just like..omg finally!!!

and the smackdown after ER when he then lost the title was another jaw drop moment.. i was just sitting there shocked (hadnt read spoilers) and was just like...: oh fuck you vince fpalm

Another jaw drop moment where i again marked like a bitch was the rock returning.. fuck i mean i was smiling like a goof and in disbelief

will write more when i remember other situations

·
Banned
350 Posts
Wait. The montreal screw job was real? Can someone explain a bit more to me about this? I always thought it was just a storyline about the boss giving his heel wrestler an unclean victory, never realized what was so special about it.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Strike Force breaking up during Wrestlemania 4

John Cena overcoming the odds in a match in 2007

Hornswoggle being Vince's son

·
Banned
350 Posts
Wait. The montreal screw job was real? Can someone explain a bit more to me about this? I always thought it was just a storyline about the boss giving his heel wrestler an unclean victory, never realized what was so special about it.

·
A superhero that saves your GF from your sex game.
3,830 Posts
Bret was leaving for WCW and Vince wanted him to drop the title to Shawn in fear of Bret pulling a Medusa(showing up on WCW with a WWF championship and disgracing it). Bret said he'd rather keep the belt and on Monday he would hand it over and walk out because A: he didn't wanna lose in Montreal and B: He didn't wanna drop that belt to Shawn lol. Vince didn't like it, went to Shawn and HHH, gave them the heads up, and it happened. Can't say I blame Vince though.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
The Montreal Screwjob was a controversial, real life professional wrestling event in which Vince McMahon double-crossed the defending WWE Champion, Bret Hart, during the main event match at Survivor Series between him and Michaels in CANADA!

Bret Hart was about to leave for WCW who were literally kicking WWEs asses in the ratings, Vince feared that Bret Hart would take the WWF title to WCW with him. Months previously, Madusa (formerly Alundra Blayze from the WWF) threw the WWF Womans championship in the bin live on Nitro.

The day before the Survivor Series, McMahon met with Jim Ross and Jim Cornette in a hotel room in Montreal and planned the screwjob apparently. It is unclear how many people knew of the impending screwjob, but McMahon's close aides Gerald Brisco and Sgt. Slaughter had been involved in the planning. Hart and Michaels had met with Pat Patterson to discuss the match setup and plan, during which Hart agreed to allow Michaels to put him into the Sharpshooter hold at a time when the referee would be unconscious, as Patterson suggested. The rest of the match was planned to proceed thus: Hart would grab Michaels' foot and reverse the hold, putting him in the Sharpshooter. Michaels would submit to the hold, but the referee would still be unconscious. Hart would let go of the hold to try to revive the referee, but Michaels would hit Hart with his finisher. Sweet Chin Music, and make the pin. A second referee would then run to the ring with Owen Hart, Jim Neidhart, and Davey Boy Smith following close behind. The second referee would start the count, but Owen and Davey Boy would break the pin. The original referee would then recover and start to make the count, but Hart would kick out, setting up about five more minutes of brawling that would result in a disqualification.

Once the match began, Hart and Michaels brought their performance outside the ring and into the crowd, while being followed by McMahon and WWE officials. As the climax of the match approached, the two wrestlers returned to the ring while WWE officials continued to order more personnel to ringside. Bret Hart first became suspicious as to why Vince McMahon was not at the announcers table to perform commentary, and why the on-screen commissioner Sgt. Slaughter was also standing at ringside with Vince McMahon. Nevertheless, the match continued. As planned, Michaels pushed Hebner in front of him as Hart jumped from the top turnbuckle, sending all three men to the canvas. Michaels and Hart both got up, but Michaels performed a rake on Hart's eye, sending Hart back to the mat. Michaels then proceeded to grab Hart's legs to execute the Sharpshooter maneuver. At this point, the match director was heard shouting instructions into his headset for Hebner to get up, but Hart did not notice anything amiss. Mike Chioda, the referee who was supposed to run in after Hebner went down, began yelling back that Hebner was not supposed to be up yet. Pat Patterson reacted in a similar way, and Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith, who were waiting for their cues to run in, remained backstage in a state of confusion. Michaels was then seen by many viewers as having glanced at Hebner as he put Hart in the sharpshooter, which some saw as proof that he was in on the scheme. Contrary to their agreed plan, Michaels tightened the hold and refused to offer his own leg to Hart for the latter to break out of the hold. At that moment, Hebner got to his feet, looked toward the timekeeper, and shouted, "Ring the bell!" McMahon then elbowed the timekeeper hard and yelled, "Ring the fucking bell!" The timekeeper rang the bell just as Hart reached forward and grabbed Michaels' leg, which broke the hold and caused Michaels to fall. Michaels' theme music then began playing and the ring announcer declared him the winner and the new WWE Champion.

Triple H ran out to ringside, got Shawn and hurried him backstage. The ref, Earl Hebner, ran backstage and got into a car which immediately left the arena. Vince stayed at ringside to make sure Bret couldn't chase after Shawn or the ref. Bret spit on Vince, destroyed a TV camera, then left. Backstage he confronted Shawn and Triple H who lied to him, saying they knew nothing about it. Bret found Vince and punched him in the face.

Bret went to WCW. Vince chose to run with the notoriety and hate the Screwjob had generated and created "Mr McMahon" the heel he would play during the rest of the Attitude Era and for years afterward.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts