Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a thread like this somewhere else but I can't seeem to find it....
So in your opinion what Mania results would you have changed (significant matches).
(which would of been better for both competitors in the long run)

- Booker wining the strap at 19, losing it at Backlash to Hunter.
- DiBiase cheaply winning the belt at 4 (heel heat to the max), losing it Macho at Summerslam.
- Edge retaining the belt and Mania 25, Cena had NOTHING to prove, and Edge harldy ever wins cleanly in big matches, makes him look weak.

- Others include, Austin beating Rock at Mania 19 (Austin to go out on a high, losing wouldn't change anything for The Rock, he was never viewed as better than Austin). And Yokozuna holding onto the belt at Mania 9 (seriously what was that w/ Hogan wtf)

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I agree with some of yours and the obvious Hogan/Bret/Yoko change but the Austin/Rock WM 19 one should stay. The whole reason they faught and the Rock wanted the match was because every time they met at Mania (17 & 15) Austin had won, the Rock wanted to prove everyone wrong and finaly be able to beat him at Wrestlemania, accomplishing the only thing he had yet to do in the WWE at the time. It was the right thing to do having Rock win with the third time lucky storyline.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
Triple H/Booker T at WM19...I just don't understand why Trips went over. Booker was well over with the crowd and this was his big moment...but it just never happened. And strangely he would have to wait another 4 years or so until he finally won the big title, strange decision imo.

Evolution/Rock and Sock WM20: People might disagree with this because Orton got the win in the match and was made to look great signalling his rise to the top but I don't know, the storyline called for Foley to somehow finally get his big WM win. Rock returned for his first match in a while and it just would have been more memorable with them going over.

Cena/Show/Edge WM25: I find Cena's yearly WM title win quite tiresom and in this case especially, he had no reason at all for winning it...since he lost it straight back to Edge the PPV after. It didn't end Mania, there wasn't any reason for Cena to leave with the title. Leaving it on Edge would have been good as he would have finally retained in a big Mania match and stopped the pointless title changes.

Cena/HBK WM23: Cena had his big moment retaining the title against Trips the year previously. This is more me being a big mark for HBK though. I so wanted him to win the title, it would have been a big WM moment and the crowd wanted it too. As it stands, for me the event ended on kind of a downer since it was just the same as the last year.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
HHH/Orton & HHH/Booker really stand out. I still dislike the guy for not putting them over when they needed it. Sure Randy got there, but Booker never made it to the top as a face in WWE

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Orton/HHH also, and on my first post, I actually wouldn't have Triple H win the belt back at Backlash, as his reign was dire in 03 (and he also would of came off a dire reign), atleast a Booker reign would of been fresh, plus he was super super over.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
- Others include, Austin beating Rock at Mania 19 (Austin to go out on a high, losing wouldn't change anything for The Rock, he was never viewed as better than Austin).
Austin/Rock at Wrestlemania XIX should not have gone any differently than it did. It was Austin's last match and he knew that the true legends leave the business on their back. Perhaps it is me being a bit biased because that match is one of, if not my favorite match, but I think it was only right for The Rock to win the 3rd installment of their Wrestlemania matches seeing as Austin went over both times before when it really made sense for him to win the belt at Wrestlemania (15 and 17). It also made sense that The Rock was the man to retire Austin, as the two of them made the biggest feud in WWE history.

As for other Wrestlemania matches in recent memory that should have had different outcomes:

- Booker T over Triple H (Wrestlemania XIX): Honestly, I always thought that the World Title match should have been Lesnar vs. Triple H, but that's a different conversation for a different day. Point here is, that at that point, Triple H was the top heel and had been on a very dominant streak as World Champion. I think he should have dropped the belt to his opponent at Wrestlemania, whether it was Lesnar or what we ended up getting with Booker T.

- Randy Orton over Triple H (Wrestlemania XXV): It has been said so many times, but this is how the match should have gone. The feud was red hot going into Wrestlemania, and Orton had so much damn momentum behind him. He had taken out Mr. McMahon, he won the Rumble, he got inside Triple H's head when he knocked out Stephanie and then kissed her. Orton should have gone over in a big way.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I completely forgot about the Orton/HHH at Mania one, and it's one of the most obvious! Another case (like Booker) of someone being on a roll and going for the title at Mania, they have all the momentum in the world behind them and then...they lose. For no good reason. This is a case like with Cena winning at WM25 where is just had no point at all, as Trips dropped the title to Orton at the PPV after. Surely it would have given a bigger win and more heat if he were to win the title at WM25 AND take Trips out for a bit at the next PPV.

Just didn't make sense. Cena won on the same PPV (Even though he shouldn't have) so they may as well have had that on last to send the fans away happy...it was also a far better match.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Honestly for me:

Cena/HHH- WM 22(I'm sorry, I just hated seeing Cena make HHH tap and I dont even like HHH that much)

Cena/HBK- WM 23(HBK deserved it at that time even though I dont think he wanted it)

HHH/Booker T- WM 19(obvious as to why this is chosen, the biggest screw up in WWE history)

HHH/Orton- WM 25(I hated the fact that HHH won this match and I have only watched this shit maybe once or twice)

Rey/Angle/Orton- WM 22(I know why the WWE did it, but I just didnt wanna see Rey get the belt piggy backing off Eddie's legacy. They should've had Angle keep the belt or give it to Orton)

Edge/Cena/Show- WM 25 (This match shoulda just been Edge/Cena with Edge going over

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
HHH/Booker T- WM 19(obvious as to why this is chosen, the biggest screw up in WWE history)
I agree 100%. It's probably the worst individual match outcome in WWE history, unless McMahon winning the title in 1999 really bothers you. I had about 20 people over to watch WrestleMania XIX, and every single one of them was pulling for Booker. When he lost, it totally took the air out of the room, and some people even left before the event was over. It's the only scripted outcome to a wrestling match that actually made me genuinely sad.

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
Triple H/Orton - Orton had won the Rumble and was carrying more momentum then he ever had and there was no reason for Triple H to win.

Triple H/Rock/Foley/Show - This was Rock's match and he should have had his big Mania moment here.

Mysterio/Angle/Orton - Mysterio had no business winning this match and his shitty title run proved the point further this is the biggest mistake in Mania history for me.

Edge/Cena/Show - As others have said Edge should have won and there was no reason for Cena to get the win here.

Oh and in my opinion Triple H/Booker was great the way it was. Booker was not ready to carry Raw and with Goldberg coming a feud with Triple H was a given. Booker had momentum leading into the match but he was only even given the shot because everyone else was occupied on Raw. He was lucky just to get the match. Hell they even tried to get Sting to some in just to face Triple H because they knew Booker wasn't a great choice.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Everyone's pretty much mentioned the ones I felt should have had a different result to apart from one and that's Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania XIX.

It's not just the inner Jericho mark in me, it's that I felt he needed the win more than Michaels. Michaels could have gotten the win at Backlash but Jericho needed the Wrestlemania win.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Orton v Angle v Mysterio at WM22

They should never have made Mysterio WHC, I wouldn't have cared who won out of Kurt Angle or Randy Orton. I'm more of an Orton fan but Kurt Angle's reign as WHC wasn't long enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
544 Posts
HHH/Sheamus - I know Sheamus wrote him out a month later and HHH hadnt won for years at Mania but this would of been huge for Sheamus

HBK/CENA - Just because i love HBK, would of been nice for him to go over

Jeff/Matt - Never understood Matt winning when they wernt going to main event him

Goldberg/Lesnar - Lesnar was a beast and wwe guy should of gone over

·
Premium Member
43,674 Posts
Wrestlemania IV = I would have had Steamboat win in the first round & have a rematch with Savage where he puts him over in the 2nd round. It wouldn't have been as good as their Mania III match, but I think it would have been a lot more interesting than what they ended up doing. Also, I would have Andre go over Hogan in their match and then lay down for DiBiase.

Wrestlemania IX = I would have made it so that Hogan vs. Yoko never happened. I would have had Bret win the title & then the show ends with a Hogan/Bret staredown or something, and that could have carried WWF storylines for the next few months & built towards the eventual Bret vs. Hogan match.

Wrestlemania 2000 = Oh this is a doozy...ROCK SHOULD HAVE GONE OVER!!! First of all, it should have been Rock vs. HHH one on one from the start. But to end Wrestlemania like THAT was just horrible.

Wrestlemania XIX = Jericho over Michaels. That's what it should have been, in my opinion.

Wrestlemania XXV = Orton should have gone over Triple H at XXV. He had more build up, was more interesting as a character, & Triple H had already gotten his revenge on him on the Raw BEFORE Wrestlemania.

Wrestlemania XXVI = I wouldn't have had Swagger win the MITB. That was a bad decision because his character just wasn't strong enough to warrant such a victory & the title change 2-3 days later was utterly ridiculous. OK, maybe they could have given him the MITB, but they should have used that as a tool to build him up and not as an excuse to do a fucking random title change that nobody is ready for.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I disagree with people saying that Booker T deserved to go over Triple H, I never found Booker to be Main Event caliber to be honest.

I can't think of any match result I'd change at the top of my head, probably would change Y2J vs. HBK at WM XIX or Y2J vs. HHH as WM X8 since I'm a big Y2J fan and it pisses me off how WWE turned him into a midcarder from 2002 to 2005 :no:

·
Premium Member
11,837 Posts
Triple H/Booker T at WM19...I just don't understand why Trips went over. Booker was well over with the crowd and this was his big moment...but it just never happened. And strangely he would have to wait another 4 years or so until he finally won the big title, strange decision imo.
Goldberg was coming into the WWE and creative wanted the title on a heel for him to take it from. That's why Triple H retained, apparently. I don't know if there were any other backstage politics involved.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts