Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've been re-watching Vader's run in WWF and, well, what a huge disappointment the whole thing was.

Here you have a guy with legitimate "tough guy cred" and had dominated Japan and WCW before coming to WWF and things were actually going okay until his feud with Shawn Michaels started. Shawn being Shawn had to whine and complain and get Vader's push derailed and made him look like a goof. The logical outcome of SummerSlam '96 was for Vader to win the WWF Championship and then proceed to go on a tear through WWF, until whoever Vince & co. wanted to put over huge slayed the beast so to speak.

Now, I know not everyone can be the tip top guy and win all the time, but this was VADER. This man won the IWGP & WCW World titles. He was a force of nature. The precursor to Brock Lesnar, and they treated him like any other guy. His run should've and could've been so much better and is one of the biggest dropped balls (hee hee) in WWE history in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
i believe Vader should have won the belt...but give Shawn time...Vader could have gotten the belt at Survivor Series, honestly.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,726 Posts
His moonsault is always the thing I gave Vader props for, but aside from that I really don't think WWE missed much with him. He just never struck me as "the" guy when he showed up on WWE programming in 1996.

Also for the record, Vader's WWE career was not squashed by Michaels in 1996... Vader was still apart of the WWE title picture in early 1997. He was apart of that whole final four thing. He can thank Shawn for loosing the smile, and that allowed him to have some more time to shine...

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
The people in the WWF obviously didn't watch him in WCW, where he rolled over people and cut awesome promos. in the WWF, they had Cornette do much of the talking and Vader wasn't the monster he was in WCW.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the wwf booked vader all wrong from the start.

he debuted at the rumble but still had a serious shoulder injury from wcw that was getting fixed soon.

the next night on raw he destroys the wwf president, gorilla monsoon. and they do a suspension angle to explain why he was off tv getting surgery.

they should've let him get the surgery and THEN debut on a raw or in your house, attacking monsoon. to have him debut, get some crazy heat on himself and then be off tv for weeks was dumb.

he and shawn michaels worked house show matches in cities across america for over a month prior to summerslam, so thousands of people had seen shawn vs vader already and probably didnt feel very compelled to order the ppv.

vader was supposed to be a monster heel, but if hes booked like a jobber then thats what fans perceive. Vinces ego couldnt permit him to allow someone else's creation defeat his precious superstars.

After leaving the wwf, vader went to all japan and had a ton of great matches. he was just booked wrong in the wwf. having him call himself a fat piece of shit was ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Never really understood the Vader hype to be honest. He was just a big fat dude who worked too stiff in my opinion. He also seems like a jerk

He had a nice moonsault though..

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
They really botched his booking from the get go. I watched Wrestlemania XII last night. Opening bout, just a throwaway 6 man tag. Now, I loved him with Camp Cornette, but that match was just meh.

Though there really weren't many people he could have worked with, since the top 4 guys were all tied pretty tightly together from late 95 through Mania.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I agree, mrdiamond. Sid had no business holding the belt

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Vader was just wrecked, going from destroyer in WCW to jobber in WWF. Vince not loving dem nonhomegrown talents.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Vader could have been so much more in the WWE, he could have been the top heel in the company in 1996 if used right.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
in terms of blaming shawn well if he lost the belt at summerslam it would have made shawn a shit champion since he never pinned the bulldog and lost to vader the month before

·
Butter My Arse
12,565 Posts
His debut at the Rumble and the attack on Gorilla Monsoon (which was AMAZING television) perhaps previewed big things for Vader. He was treated like a monster and he just steamrolled over everybody in his path.

HBK pretty much derailed his momentum and chopped the legs off his push. He was in the WWF Title match but only three months later was involved in a meaningless midcard Survivor Series match.

He was still working at his peak though as seen in the Final Four match where he suffered a nasty cut above his eye, and his BRUTAL match with Ken Shamrock at Cold Day In Hell. In 1998 though he was just treated like a piece of shit. Just awful booking. I feel that he would've made an ideal henchman for Vince's Corporation rather than bringing back Big Boss Man.

Just imagine an Austin-Vader feud in 1998. :damn

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
54,639 Posts
in terms of blaming shawn well if he lost the belt at summerslam it would have made shawn a shit champion since he never pinned the bulldog and lost to vader the month before
Yep. Most people don't even know that that actually happened when speaking about this.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yep. Most people don't even know that that actually happened when speaking about this.

the new generation era gets such a bad rep. like most things it wasnt that bad. but people basically describe it as the entire roster being horrible repo man style gimmicks apart from basically bret and shawn and the kliq basically were the bookers. only other era that gets more inaccurate revisionist history is wcw in the mid 90s onwards

1 - 20 of 35 Posts