Wrestling Forum banner

Big Show/Mayweather - Wrestlemania 24

1956 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  King Of The Game
Be interested to know what the going opinion is on this little showcase match?

Personally, I thought it was flat out awesome. Just a ton of fun, and probably still stands as the best example of a showcase match in recent years.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· I must away and tend to my ravens
Joined
·
12,061 Posts
I liked the idea of it, I hate it when non-wrestlers come in and beat wrestlers in wrestling matches but doing it as a boxing match was fair enough. Having said that, the size difference was a problem, in that sense, Holyfield vs 'He Who I Choose Not To Name' was a better match up, at least on paper.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
it was a good entertaining match because mayweather did more than expected. Also at the time mayweather was a huge star so it was a big moment for WWE to have him at wrestlemania
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,377 Posts
I really thought that they were going to make it the main event and was pleased that they didn't; a repeat of the awful Wrestlemania 11 would've been dreadful.

It was an interesting spectacle and it gave Big Show something to do at Wrestlemania, so I didn't hate it. It gave Wrestlemania a mainsteam, show-biz, special occasion quality as well, which was nice. The match itself was as everybody anticipated, though, and wasn't that memorable.

The whole time I was watching it I remember thinking, "I wish WWE had hired Mike Tyson to fight Steve Austin".
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
I liked the idea of it, I hate it when non-wrestlers come in and beat wrestlers in wrestling matches but doing it as a boxing match was fair enough. Having said that, the size difference was a problem, in that sense, Holyfield vs 'He Who I Choose Not To Name' was a better match up, at least on paper.
does Mr Holyfield still carry the scares of said fight ?.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,631 Posts
Better than Show vs Akebono (that lasted like 5 seconds right?) but I'm usually annoyed by matches with celebrities involved. (anyway, at least Mayweather belongs to a ring, Snooki or whatever she's called doesn't)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The buildup was terrible to watch and it did not have nearly the impact Mike Tyson had in 1998. But looking back it was still the best celebrity cameo at Wrestlemania to date.
Seriously? Even the molten- hot segment where Mayweather broke Big Show's nose, and things got legit heated?

It's more than fair enough if you didn't like you match, but seriously? That 'broken nose' segment, you thought was terrible?
 

· Ho!
Joined
·
20,568 Posts
It was a good match, amazing for a celebrity match.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
I thought this match a ton of fun. The build up to the match wasn't too good and i didn't expect much from it but boy was i wrong, the match certainly delivered. It was arguably the best match of Wrestlemania that year and definitely one of the best matches of 2008 imo.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
6,835 Posts
Really? What was wrong with it?

Have to say I didn't expect much from it and had very little hope for it being good but it actually turned out to be quite entertaining.
What was good about it? The paid Floyd Mayweather a ridiculous amount of money to come in and alomost give Big Show a concussion, I didn't see anything entertaining about it whatsoever.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
18,863 Posts
Am I the only one who actually liked the build up between Big Show-Mayweather match?

The whole press conference thing, when Mayweather punched big show in the face, when big show threw mayweather out of the ring, the weigh in and that stuff.

They put more effort into building a storyline for this feud than they do for many feuds we see at WM. The hype for WM is like 70% of the feud, the other 30% is the match itself.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,244 Posts
best match on the show. wouldn't argue with someone saying it was moty.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Am I the only one who actually liked the build up between Big Show-Mayweather match?

The whole press conference thing, when Mayweather punched big show in the face, when big show threw mayweather out of the ring, the weigh in and that stuff.

They put more effort into building a storyline for this feud than they do for many feuds we see at WM. The hype for WM is like 70% of the feud, the other 30% is the match itself.
I'm right with you there, DXB. I thought the build was freaking phenomenal.

This was in my top 20 matches of 2008, easily. Why shoudn't it be? Because it was a showcase match? This is prp-wrestling. In terms of entertainment, it's way, way up there. I think the people who deemed it a waste of time are too busy timing exactly how much WRESTLING!WorkRATEZ!~ is produced at each PPV.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,377 Posts
You honestly thought they were going to make Big Show/Mayweather the main event?
They made Bam Bam Bigelow vs LT the main event. The picture of Big Show & Mayweather was the largest on the poster. It wouldn't have surprised me one bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't, but I was worried that they would.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
I thought the match was great because they did it perfectly, the ending was realistic because the only way mayweather was going to beat him was by cheating. The build up was hot and cold HOT: Pressconference Cold: Show vs that lame boxer on raw. It had a big feel and mayweather definitely did his part so i give it a huge thumbs up. Trump vs Mcmahon was awful imo
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top