Wrestling Forum banner

Better wrestling mind? Bischoff or Russo?

• Eric Bischoff

Votes: 68 72.3%
  • Vince Russo

Votes: 26 27.7%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The title says it all, but to give people a little bit of context...

Bischoff:
Super successful in WCW (in the beginning any way).
Creator of the most successful stable in the history of professional wrestling; the nWo.
Also created Goldberg.
Introduced cruiserweights into main stream wrestling.
Guaranteed contracts.
Monthly PPVs.
Booking of the Crow Sting (before Hogan messed it up).
Portrayed a heel very well; still is the most successful General Manager in the history of WWE.

Russo:
Contributed immensely to the WWE creative during the AE.
Was behind Sable's programming in WWE which drew second only to Austin.

Both have immense failures as well.

Bischoff:
Business fraud (which he got away with).
Didnt know how to book long term.
Let Hogan get away with murder thus resulting in loss in long term booking costing WCW millions in revenue.
No knowledge of international content distrubution resulting in further loss of revenue.
He was 2 trick phony; stables fighting each other was the only thing he knew how to do and anything involving Hogan.
Flopped in TNA.

Russo:
Had the most outlandish ideas in the history of the wrestling business.
Flopped in WCW and made the already bad situation worse in the company.
Made a C list Hollywood actor the World Champion and still defends it to this day.
Flopped in TNA.

So the question is, who has an overall better wrestling mind (if we can factor out all luck which both of them had going for them when they were successful)?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Vince McMahon,Paul Heyman,and Eric Bischoff are the greatest wrestling minds in my opinion.

I know they are obvious choices but that doesn't deny it,too.

Vince Russo is attention seeker and flopped everywhere outside of WWE in an era which everything was open to try.

I had a feeling once that Vince fired Russo and send him to WCW because he knew that he will destroy it to the ground.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Why is this even a question? Bischoff is the clear winner! Vince Russo was clearly nuts

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Bischoff. He was the most all rounded booker in the sense that he never commited himself to a certain wrestling philosophy. His downfall was his pride and arrogance over the NWO, and he used Turner's checkbook far too much originally out of arrogance and later out of desperation to save himself.

Russo by himself is pure horse shit. He needs a filter to help filter out his bad ideas and without that he is worthless. With it however, he was able to bring WWF back from the brink and fight with WCW. The guy is not at bad as people think he is and there is definite value and use in him as a writer or booker. Just not when given full reign.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
29,402 Posts
Lets see, Bischoff cost WCW MILLIONS of dollars, gave away Goldberg vs. Hogan on FREE television, sent his own viewers to go watch Mankind win the WWF Championship, and let business crippling shit like The Fingerpoke of Doom happen. Meanwhile, Russo spearheaded the greatest era of all time, saved WWF from imminent bankruptcy, and increased WCW's ratings while working in a clusterfuck of incompetent wrestlers and executives who wanted to see him fail. :hmm. The choice is easy, bro :russo

·
Silently superior... Minus the silent
270 Posts
Bischoff by a country mile. Russo himself I'm sure wouldn't claim to be a great "wrestling mind", he's a writer. He might think he writes great wrestling shows, but he's all about the 'entertainment'. This is a man who says faces and heels don't/shouldn't exist.

Eric Bischoff also is the reason weekly wrestling shows are broadcast live, so you can add that to his list of achievements.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Bischoff. Bischoff ran an entire company and nearly put WWE out of business and would have if he had planned for the long term in any way.

I don't think he ever realized he'd be nearly as successful as he was, but he and Heyman changed the entire industry. Vince essentially just took those guys' ideas and ran with younger, hungrier talent and eventually persevered.

I don't know how much credit Russo deserves on anything. It's a well known fact that Austin, Rock, and DX basically just went out and said and did whatever they wanted. WWE's ability to stave off bankruptcy is directly tied to those guys' personalities, the violence and sexuality that they took from ECW, and Vince's willingness to loosen his death grip on everything.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Russo was more creative. Bischoff was more business savvy, and had a few ideas that caught fire. (and died out due to a lack of following up on them).

In terms of mearuring success, it's like comparing apple and oranges because one was a writer and the other was heading the managerial side, but RAW under Russo's pen became a bigger ratings success than WCW at it's hottest. So, you can draw your own conclusions from there. I would certainly credit Bischoff for kickstarting the professional wrestling boom of the late 90s, tho.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts