Wrestling Forum banner

Best year of wrestling since 2005?

1443 Views 18 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  THEBROODRULEZ666
2007 is my pick.

In terms of shows, stories, matches, main event scene. Just awesome. Orton and Batista really arriving in terms of quality, with Orton's first significant, well booked title reign. John Cena had a run of awesome, awesome title matches with Umaga, Shawn Micheals, Edge, Randy Orton. Hell, even his matches with Khali and Lashley were way above average.

Hands down 2007 for me.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
12,296 Posts
2007 was awful for large periods. You had a Khali title reign and Batista challenging for the world title at 5 straight PPVs. Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Edge & Undertaker all missed at least a few months and it really showed with repetitive PPV matches.

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2007 was awful for large periods. You had a Khali title reign and Batista challenging for the world title at 5 straight PPVs. Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Edge & Undertaker all missed at least a few months and it really showed with repetitive PPV matches.

PPV matches were of an awesome quality.

I'll give you the Khali title reign point, but this was financially the most important WWE title reign in the last ten years, bringing in the entire Indian market. That's a lot of money to me and you. Batista challenging for the title at Wrestlemania and Backlash, which were awesome matches. Fair enough, the Edge series was pretty lacklustre. But certainly you concentrate on the negatives over the positives. The other title scene was blistering, and the negatives you list in no way negate this. There hasn't been a series like Cena's since. There wasn't one before, either.

You had Umaga in awesome matches and the undercard during this point was swell too.

What year would you put above it?

· Registered
7,857 Posts
2007 if you remove the Khali title run it was a great year. Michaels and Cena having their matches the Taker/Batista saga. The Rise of Orton at the end of the year with the Age Of Orton Reign. Chris Jericho making his return after 2 and a half years. Other than that most of the last 5 and a half has sucked a lot

· Registered
6,706 Posts

• Birth of the PG era
  • Wrestlemania 24 - the best Mania' since XIX
  • Chris Jericho transformation + feud with Shawn Michaels
  • Edge and Vickie together forming La Famalia
  • Edge and Undertaker Hell in a Cell
  • John Cena not holding the belt for 95% of the year + losing 3 straight PPV matches clean (Much needed at the time)

· Registered
7,244 Posts
07 by far

· Premium Member
6,390 Posts

Rated R
Cena/Edge
Edge/Flair - Edge/Foley - Foley/Flair
Trish/ Mickie
Simon Dean
'Taker/Angle
London + Kendrick
Benoit/Finlay - Benoit/Regal - Regal/Finlay
Vince challenges God
DX
Imposter Kane
Cruiserweight Championship

· Registered
2,463 Posts
2005 and 2006. 2005 because of some of the great rivalries. Especially Orton vs Taker and SD vs RAW. 2006 mostly because Cena wasn't winning at every single PPV, and Edge's heel run in 2006 was immense.

The only thing keeping me watching in 2007 was MVP vs Hardy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.