Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout the history of wrestling, there have been many hyped up matches where a mystery opponent was advertised for the match, only to be announced in the last moment, some of them fun and shocking, while others a huge let-down.

What are some of your favorites and least favorites?

My Worst Mystery Opponent : No Way Out of Texas 1998. Coming into the match it was Stone Cold, Cactus Jack, Owen Hart and Terry Funk taking on Triple H, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn and ????. (with Chyna at ringside obviously).

Everyone watching that had half a brain cell believed that Shawn Michaels would be the last man on the D-X team, obviously being apart of D-X made sense and his feud with Austin coming into Wrestlemania 14 also added to the reason, throughout the show there were HBK chants and signs, it seemed like a lock.

But I think the reason why Shawn wasn't part of the match was because of his back injuries, and didn't want to risk him not being able to compete at Wrestlemania, which in hind-sght wouldn't have been good. But at the time Savio Vega came out to the ring, who had nothing to do with the feud and any of hte other men in the match, he was just a random filler from the mid card and he got heat for it.

I'll put my favorite mystery opponent in a bit, have to think about that one.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another good one that deserves mentioning was Raw in 2005 where it was HBK, Cena and ??? teaming up and it turned out to be Hogan. which started the Hogan/HBK feud after the superkick.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sur eif it was good or bad but an odd one was Night of Champions 2008 when Cody Rhodes turned on Holly to side with Dibiase.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
My favourites are probably Undertaker at Survivor Series '90 and Tazz at Royal Rumble 2000. Not sure about my worst, struggling to think of any good examples. I accept the OP's example but as he pointed out, it was obviously a situation born out of necessity rather than them thinking "ya know who'd be a good mystery partner - SAVIO VEGA! THEY WON'T SEE IT COMING!"

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
One of the worst I can think of was Cena's mystery opponent in a No Holds Barred the week before Over the Limit 2011. They showed a bunch of backstage segments with Miz and in the end, the mystery opponent was... Job Swagger. And as usual, he dominated most of the match only to lose to the five moves of doom. Ah fuck, that was an awful time when SuperCena proved to still be alive. Just like Extreme Rules this year.

Hulk Hogan tagging with Cena and HBK has to be a great one, though.

EDIT: Not familiar enough with the 'classic' era to have answers from that period.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Best - Ultimate Warrior at SS 1988 when he won the IC belt.

Worst - Agree with OP on Savio Vega (Made absolutely no sense and made it obvious that Austin, Owen, Chainsaw and Cactus were going to win). Duane Gill in the Surivor Series 1998 tournament was quite lame too.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Wasnt Hbk originally on the card but pulled for injury reasons and thus we got the mystery opponet? And Savio actually kind of made sense. He and Austin had a feud a few years before and it was one of Austins first feuds in the wwf.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Just remembered one a little older than a week; Steamboat returning as Dustin's surprise partner against Arn and Zbyszko at Clash of the Champions XVII 19/11/1991. Awesome moment, crowd go insane, Arn looks like he's seen a ghost, and the match is pretty great too.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another good one was Daniel Bryan in Summerslam 2010. Even though it wasn't all that shocking and a lot of people saw it coming, it was still a pretty cool mark out moment.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
Best would have to be Raven returning to ECW, to beat the Dudleys for the tag titles with Tommy Dreamer.

Worst would have to be Scott Steiner in WWE, because they wasted that on a segment and could have at least made it an official match.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
OP, I think at No Way Out of Texas HBK was scheduled to be part of that 8 man unsanctioned match. When the show began, JR announced he wouldnt be able to go tonight (they didnt want to risk his back before Wrestlemania). Savio is possibly the worst choice ever though.

·
Registered
835 Posts
No Sheamus mentions? After he won the rumble he was the Mystery opponent for everyone for like 3 months.

Reactions: Showstopper

·
Registered
784 Posts
Recently Vader was really good and Fat Tensai was predictable and dissapointing.

Reactions: Showstopper

·
Registered
647 Posts
Worst-Big Show Teaming With Jericho at NOC 2009. There were so many diffrent oppurtunity's to take and you pick the fucking Big Show?
It turned out well though, didn't it? I think that Jerishow period was some of the Big Show's best work ever.

On a similar note, one of my favourite mystery opponent moments was at the Bash 2009 when Jericho and Edge turned up before the Legacy vs Colons tag title match and won it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts