Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This honestly shouldn't even be a thing.

Wrestlers possess a larger shelf-life than actual athletes, but they shouldn't be wrestling at such an age anymore. I would come to terms with them just having epic entrances and brawls with up and coming talents in order to put them over, but they're not very legit anymore in any other capacity. I think the rule WWE applied to Angle (being older, ergo not as credible anymore) is the correct psychology to use for such guys. I don't think that Taker, despite his mass and height is very intimidating anymore, I could easily see an average healthy 30 years old 5'10" flippy guy taking him out in a fight, considering how wobbly his movement is. The suspension of disbelief can be difficult to attain once the disadvantages of ageing kick in. I don't adhere to the idea that legends should be exposed to large movements as a result, which brings me back to my initial point of making them appear tough via brawls and special segment appearances and make them getting "taken out" something that can put other people over, rather than full matches.

Reactions: RapShepard
Minoru Suzuki, Chris Jericho & Christopher Daniels are the best that I watch.

Suzuki, Jericho and Nagata

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Jericho just had a fun and entertaining match with Okada and has three matches lined up whenever he wants them, Adam Page ALL OUT, Okada rematch and Tanahashi program that has begun.

Jericho is the man!

Reactions: CMPunkRock316
I think its pretty hard to argue that Jericho isn't at the top and as far as everyone else goes

I mean Taker is old and boring, Kane and Big Show are just old news, Goldberg is extremely limited although he's always been limited and Shane is pretty much in the same boat , and Batista is retired so?

Chris Jericho is clearly the best of the 45+ club. Goldust would probably be #2, given how good he still is. Beyond those two, I can't think of anyone who is really all that good within that age range.

I consider Suzuki to be one of the best in ring workers in the world at 50. Jericho is obviously struggling in ring nowadays but they book around his limitations effectively enough, plus hes been reinventing his character expertly the past few years which has bought him extra time. Trips can still go, and he still looks pretty legit and imposing. Goldust is still good partly because he can mask his age with his attire. PCO is good.

Goldberg still passes the eye test pure appearance wise, but that high impact explosive style he had in his prime does NOT age well.

Yeah, Jericho is the clear winner in this category. Goldust/Dustin had an awesome match against Cody at Double Or Nothing, but he had been out of the ring for a year due to injury and was making very sporadic appearances before that for a while. Jericho has kept busy with juggling his Fozzy stuff, promoting his cruise, doing his podcasts, and wrestling for both New Japan and AEW. His style has obviously changed and slowed a bit but he's still capable of having the match of the night, even when there's wrestlers on the card 20-25 years younger than him.

Triple H still looks good physically, but he doesn't have the same amount of strength or spring in his step. He's somewhere in the middle of the pack, his matches with Batista and Orton have been okay this year, he hasn't had a truly great match since that unexpected battle with Ambrose back in 2016. His biggest problem is booking himself to go way too long, shave 10 minutes of all his matches and we'd have better paced stuff that would probably be received better.

Undertaker is probably the worst of the old guys doing it. I know it's recent, but he's had stinker after stinker since the Lesnar series finished in 2015. It's funny, because he talked back in the day about not wanting to hang on too long (I believe the interview was 2002, when Hogan and Flair were hanging around). He might be the worst one for hanging on too long in wrestling history, as far as his decline in the quality of his performances. Terry Funk could still put together something passable in his 60s. I used to think Flair was the worst for holding on, but compare 2007/2008 Flair to 2016-2019 Undertaker. Naitch wins all day.

It pains me to say the above, because Undertaker is one of my all time favourites. But I've watched him struggle in there and fail to entertain for far too long now.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.