Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When thinking about great title reigns i automatically think of Samoa Joe's ROH Title Reign, Nigel McGuinness ROH Title Reign, Triple H's WWF Title Reign, etc ... but i was wondering what has been the best title reign in the past 5 years. it could be a low level title or a main event title, what matters is the feuds, match quality, & opponents that a champion endured during his or her's title reign. So Who Has Had The Best Title Reign In The Past 5 Years & Why ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I feel Austin Aries has been booked extremely good as X-Division champion personally.

I haven't watched wrestling in 5 years so I'll just stick with Aries.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Tanahashi has from 1/11-2/12. Why? It Was Booked Very Good And It Was Epic. He Had A Great Caliber Of Opponents And Always Delivered A Stellar Match.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Surprisingly, Bobby Roode's TNA Championship reign has been great. He's doing fabulous work and he's getting me to tune in, and I am far from a TNA fan. Aries' reign has been even better. I can't think of any reigns that were particularly exciting in WWE. Nigel's ROH reign was superb.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
No order:

Bobby Roode-TNA World Title
Austin Aries-TNA X Division Title
Mark Henry-WWE World Title(hate how he lost it)
Madison Eagles-Shimmer Title
The Kings of Wrestling(Claudio and Hero)-ROH World Tag Team Titles

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
Jun Akiyama - Triple Crown

Takashi Sugiura - GHC Heavyweight Championship

Kotaro Suzuki - GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship

Go Shiozaki - GHC Heavyweight Championship

Atsushi Aoki & Kotaro Suzuki - GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

The Young Bucks - PWG Tag Team Championship

·
The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,164 Posts
CM Punk's WWE Title reign after winning it @ MITB2011 could've been a great one, too bad WWE screwed that one up bad..

·
Ramble On
11,108 Posts
Hiroshi Tanahashi - IWGP heavyweight title
Nigel McGuinness - ROH world title
Takashi Sugiura - GHC heavyweight title
Kings Of Wrestling - ROH world tag team titles
Austin Aries - X division title (I know it's still going on, but theres no way Aries could be made to look any better, and the title also gets made to look great because of it.)

Having trouble thinking of more memorable ones. Haven't been watching Roode's reign really but I hear great things.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Totally agree with Bobby Roode's current TNA World Title reign as well. It's been very well booked and quite enjoyable for sure.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Tanahashi defended 11 times (13 title matches total including Kojima #1 and Okada) and only had one less than good match against Yano. He gave Naito his first great match that finally made him credible up top and simply created Okada. The only matches nobody bought into were the Kojima rematch and Yano (and even then some people thought that would be a decent transition to Nagata). That's right on up there with the all time great reigns IMO. Best booked would be D-Bryan's without a doubt. Flawless booking with Mania being the perfect conclusion when the progressively cockier champ got his comeuppance, which simultaneously made him a legit top guy. Tanahashi loses there because three losses killed Nakamura. Looking back over title reigns from all over and can't find any that top those two so I'm confident that isn't just the recency effect.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
5 Years a lot of champions that's hard so I'll break it to a few. I will say that I really enjoyed PAC & Yoshino's United Tag Title run even though they didn't have a lot of defenses which is a shame especially compared to Ricochet & CIMA who defended the Twin Gate every other match. YAMATO reign was pretty under the radar as well and that reign really opened my eyes to the guy after years of not seeing the hype. Mochizuki had a pretty damn good reign as the Dream Gate Champ as well which is a bit overlooked because of how great CIMA has been with the belt.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Nigel McGuinness - ROH World Title reign
Kings of Wrestling - ROH Tag Team reign
Young Bucks - PWG Tag team reign

And I'm probably alone on this but I enjoyed the hell out of Adam Coles Junior Heavyweight title reign.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
NJPW - Hiroshi Tanahashi
CZW - Adam Cole (Junior Heavy)
ROH - Kings of Wrestling (tag)
AJPW - Jun Akiyama Triple Crown
NOAH - Takashi Sugiura
WSU - Mercedes Martinez
SHIMMER - Madison Eagles
TNA - Robert Roode

Out of the entire list, I honestly can't think of who had the best set of matches. I'm thinking either Eagles or Tanahashi.

Best booked? I'm a fan of Mercedes reign and Roode's. But I honestly think it's Adam Cole's Junior reign. Every CZW fan knew damn well who was going to take the title away from him. It was just a matter of how, and how long it would take. And the ride towards Night of Infamy was great to watch.

By the time it happened, the Junior Title was the most important title in CZW at that time. I personally think it still is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts