Wrestling Forum banner

Best Tag Team Era

2581 12
What would you say is the best tag team era?

I know there have been class tag teams over the course of wrestling history but what era and company would you say delivered the best?

My personal choice would be late 1980's WWF with Demolition, Brainbusters, Rockers, Hart Foundation and The Bulldogs etc.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,813 Posts

I know there have been class tag teams over the course of wrestling history but what era and company would you say delivered the best?

My personal choice would be late 1980's WWF with Demolition, Brainbusters, Rockers, Hart Foundation and The Bulldogs etc.
As great as that era was, and it was great, I will always love Edge & Christian, Dudley Boyz VS Hardy Boyz. It may have only been 3 teams, but the whole era and fueds they had was very entertaining I think.

· Registered
3,918 Posts
1987-1989 NWA had Road Warriors, R&R Express, Midnight Express,Tully & Arn, Steiners, Doom, Fantastics SST, Varisty Club, Freebirds etc.

I always loved the Crockett Cup shows I think it's safe to say we won't see anything like that again.

· Banned
2,272 Posts

Hard to argue with this era. Don't forget the Powers of Pain and The Killer Bees as well!

· Registered
3,828 Posts
It was a toss up between the Attitude Era and the 1980s altogether for me. However, I'm giving my vote toward the '80s. With teams like The Freebirds, Hart Foundation, Rockers, Road Warriors, Midnight Express, Steiner Brothers, British Bulldogs and so on. It's hard to compete with that. The '80s in general was a solid decade/era for tag team wrestling.

While I like the teams like The Hardys, Dudleys, New Age Outlaws and Edge & Christian. It doesn't match the names from the previous era(s).

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Outside of the main three teams during The Attitude Era the tag team scene wasn't really anywhere near as great as it was made out to be. You take away Edge and Christian, The Hardys and The Dudley Boys and no one other than The New Age Outlaws at the start of the era did anything of real note as The APA and Too Cool are never talked about as great tag teams from that era.

The answer is clearly the 80's as you had The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express, Arn Anderson and Ole Anderson and later on Tully Blanchard, The Rock and Roll Express, The Steiners, The Freebirds, The Varsity Club and The Samoan Swat Team in NWA/JCP and then The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, Demolition, The Powers Of Pain, The Rockers, Strike Force, The Rougeau Brothers, The Killer Bees and The Twin Towers in WWE as well as a brief stint for Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard there also.

Back in the 80's tag team wrestling was a major part of wrestling which saw five or six tag teams all in storylines on a regular basis and all given proper tv time as well as also closing house shows. Tag teams were built up properly and not used to get someone over before being split up to have two mid card wrestlers around for a brief while as we see now. Even during The Attitude Era we saw the teams being split up to pack the roster out in the mid card and only The Dudley Boys were a long term tag team which was probably due to the fact they had been together for so many years and didn't want to split up even though they were for a year or so.

· Banned
118 Posts
Outside of the main three teams during The Attitude Era the tag team scene wasn't really anywhere near as great as it was made out to be. You take away Edge and Christian, The Hardys and The Dudley Boys and no one other than The New Age Outlaws at the start of the era did anything of real note as The APA and Too Cool are never talked about as great tag teams from that era.

The answer is clearly the 80's as you had The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express, Arn Anderson and Ole Anderson and later on Tully Blanchard, The Rock and Roll Express, The Steiners, The Freebirds, The Varsity Club and The Samoan Swat Team in NWA/JCP and then The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, Demolition, The Powers Of Pain, The Rockers, Strike Force, The Rougeau Brothers, The Killer Bees and The Twin Towers in WWE as well as a brief stint for Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard there also.

Back in the 80's tag team wrestling was a major part of wrestling which saw five or six tag teams all in storylines on a regular basis and all given proper tv time as well as also closing house shows. Tag teams were built up properly and not used to get someone over before being split up to have two mid card wrestlers around for a brief while as we see now. Even during The Attitude Era we saw the teams being split up to pack the roster out in the mid card and only The Dudley Boys were a long term tag team which was probably due to the fact they had been together for so many years and didn't want to split up even though they were for a year or so.
NAO at their apex were more popular than E & C, Hardy Boy and the Dudley Boyz combined.

And I would not say Too Cool are not talked about as a "great" tag team even though they barely any tag team golds to back it up as they were more over than many most midcarders during their peak.

· Banned
18,342 Posts
Basically any promotion from 80s and 90s had a very strong tag division.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.