Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatta you guys reckon are the best star making feuds?

The great feuds where one guy (or even better both guys) comes in an up and comer and comes out the other end a hugely over star.

For me number one with a bullet would have to be Bert Hart v Stone Cold in 96/97. I guess it's the obvious answer as it's one of the greatest feuds ever, contained one of the greatest WM matches of all time, and basically created the biggest star of the modern age in Stone Cold.

* Stone Cold had won KOTR 96 to establish himself but had yet to face a big star as yet in a meaningful feud
* Stone Cold entered the feud with Bert leading up to their S Series match in 96 cutting great edgey promos against him
* The returning established beloved face Bert Hart challenges Austin and calls him the 'best wrestler in the wwf today' already putting him over
* Their first PPV match is awesome at Survivior Series - Austin is booked to look like Bret's equal but Bret wins with a tremendous wrestling counter. The message is clear - this isn't over
* Austin continues to antagonise and attack Bret on subsequent RAWS
* Austin dominates the Royal Rumble and dumps Bret by nefarious means to win, thus getting an upper hand and raising his stock
* Bret loses it and blames everyone for standing by and letting Austin get away with murder - feud continues
* Austin costs Bert matches here and there and both men attack each other leading up to WM

* WM 13 The Submission Match. It's a full blown blood feud at this point with both men wanting to tear each other apart. The rebel in Austin is getting cheers as the whole attitude of the fans and the company changes. Bret resents this and resents Austin for it.
* The match is arguably the greatest WM match of all time complete with double turn. Bret gets his hand raised but Austin goes over by not submitting to the dreaded Sharpshooter. Thus Austin becomes the toughest SOB in the industry and the rest is history.

Seriously how good was this feud.

·
Registered
849 Posts
First of all, who the F**K is Bert Hart. It's BRET. Anyways, this is the one that came to mind for me also. I agree with all your points and it's definitely the feud that made Austin a main eventer. There WM13 match made him a star and there SS match is also 5 stars. I personally think this is the greatest feud of all time.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, who the F**K is Bert Hart. It's BRET. Anyways, this is the one that came to mind for me also. I agree with all your points and it's definitely the feud that made Austin a main eventer. There WM13 match made him a star and there SS match is also 5 stars. I personally think this is the greatest feud of all time.
Bret recently admitted that his name was really Bert - look it up

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoever said Cactus V HHH is probably the next best one IMO. Even though HHH was a star no doubt - Cactus really got over the Game character and made HHH look like a psychotic main event heel.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cena/Edge
HHH/Rock
Cactus Jack/HHH
CM Punk/Jeff hardy
I'm not sure Cena/Edge applies. In the first instance Edge only won the title after Cena had been in 'Satan's Prison!!!!!!!!!!!' and been basically killed. Then at the next PPV Cena beat Edge quite convincingly to regain his title. Not the best start to elevating someone IMO.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Batista/HHH, Batista wasnt even supposed to work Trips that mania it was meant to be Orton. But because Batista go so over they went with him and was the right decision as he became a top star and made a shitload of money for the company. The build up the the mania match was very good, it might not have been the best mania main event ever but it was ok, there HIAC match was the best match in the program. But the main thing was after the feud Batista was a made star.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
I'm not sure Cena/Edge applies. In the first instance Edge only won the title after Cena had been in 'Satan's Prison!!!!!!!!!!!' and been basically killed. Then at the next PPV Cena beat Edge quite convincingly to regain his title. Not the best start to elevating someone IMO.
best start no but the feud kept getting better and escalating to become the best rivalry in the last 4 years

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Batista/HHH, Batista wasnt even supposed to work Trips that mania it was meant to be Orton. But because Batista go so over they went with him and was the right decision as he became a top star and made a shitload of money for the company. The build up the the mania match was very good, it might not have been the best mania main event ever but it was ok, there HIAC match was the best match in the program. But the main thing was after the feud Batista was a made star.
True that was a great star maker. Even though their WM match under delivered the build up to the Batista face turn was glorious. Loved Batista pretending to sign the SD contract then giving Trips and Naitch the thumbs down on RAW - then smashing Flair and powerbombing HHH through the table.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another old school one would ofcourse be Flair/Sting. Sure Sting had all the tools to become the man anyway IMO - but Flair put him over the top virtually overnight.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
True that was a great star maker. Even though their WM match under delivered the build up to the Batista face turn was glorious. Loved Batista pretending to sign the SD contract then giving Trips and Naitch the thumbs down on RAW - then smashing Flair and powerbombing HHH through the table.
Thats the only letdown was the mania match. But you have to remember Batista was still an inexperienced worker at that time and had never been in a match of that magnitude. Trips is a great worker and did his best he could do in that match. But still regardless of the match not being great, they did what they set out on doing and that was creating a new star in Batista.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats the only letdown was the mania match. But you have to remember Batista was still an inexperienced worker at that time and had never been in a match of that magnitude. Trips is a great worker and did his best he could do in that match. But still regardless of the match not being great, they did what they set out on doing and that was creating a new star in Batista.
The HIAC more than made up for the mania match. One of the best endings to a match ever IMO with the great visual of HHH about to hit Batista with sledgey in Demon Bomb position - you hear the crowd go 'oooooh' then Batista pulls the trigger and absolutely creams Trips for the win. Made Tista look like an absolute beast.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The HIAC more than made up for the mania match. One of the best endings to a match ever IMO with the great visual of HHH about to hit Batista with sledgey in Demon Bomb position - you hear the crowd go 'oooooh' then Batista pulls the trigger and absolutely creams Trips for the win. Made Tista look like an absolute beast.
The HIAC was the best match in the feud and a great way end to it the feud the match did make Batista look like a beast.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Randy Orton vs Mick Foley was the first one that popped into my head. Bret/Austin and their match at WM13 made Austin a star but I think his feud with Vince cemented him as the top guy.

Sheamus/Triple H, even though he was a former WWE Champion at this point, nobody really took him seriously until he went over Triple H clean at Extreme Rules this year. Also Batista/Triple H.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
John Cena/Brock Lesnar - Moved Cena from midcard to main event. He developed the F-U as a rib on Lesnar's F5.
The Undertaker/Mankind - Taker put over Mankind huge a bunch of times. Of course, also give Foley his signature WWF moment.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,789 Posts
I love all the ones already mentioned...

Miz/Daniel Bryan has the potential to get both guys more over and really cement Bryan as a top-flight midcard act in WWE for the time being.

·
"The Sex Tornado"
2,260 Posts
Batista/HHH. All the stars just aligned themselves for this program. The fans started getting behind Batista in late 2004 and gave WWE no option but to push him as a top star. HHH sensed it (supposedly) and began backing Batista as the next top star. Then the program was just beautifully crafted from December 2004 with the fake backstage brawl, to NYR were HHH let Batista get pinned, to Dave's Rumble win, the fake-JBL limo segment to lure Batista to SD, and finally to the contract signing. After that, the program's intensity never lowered going from Mania to Backlash to Vengeance. WWE has called it one of their biggest programs of all-time, and with good reason as the numbers and money it drew was pretty damn big (the ratings were higher, WM drew a then-almost record buys of 940,000 up from WMXX's 825,000. Not to mention that Vengeance 2005 drew nearly double of what Vengeance 2004 drew.) That's how you become a mega-star.

The Rock vs. HHH in 1998 also cemented both as future main eventers (3 months after their feud finale ladder match at SS, Rock became the Corporate/WWF Champion and the 2nd biggest name in the company. At the following SummerSlam, HHH defeated Austin and Mankind to become WWF Champion)

Randy Orton/Mick Foley 2003/2004 (kick-started Orton's main event push which would lead in to him dropping the IC title to Edge and then a month later winning the World title. Awesome program, with a great match at Backlash 2004).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts