Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I would have to go with WWF Smackdown Just bring it. Just because you could have 8 men in the ring and it made Royal Rumbles awesome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Shut Your Mouth was a long time favorite of mine although it's frustrating not knowing how to unlock Hogan and X-Pac's outfits :/

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Damn, did JBI really have 8 guys? It's been so long since I played it. Makes me mad that we get these stupid excuses as to why the current generation of consoles 'can't handle' more than 6 guys in the ring at once - total bullshit.

I'm going to give the generic answer of Here Comes the Pain. Can't even remember it all that well, but I know it was a damn sight better than the crap we get now.

No Mercy FTW, though.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,111 Posts
Shut Your Mouth's gameplay was slow and unpolished imo. HCTP was far superior. Original SVR was good too but from 06 onward the gameplay really started to go downhill. Really slowed things down.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Can someone give some specifics on why HCTP is so highly praised amongst wrestling games? I can't remember a damn thing about it.

SVR 06 btw. Pretty sure that's the one with the GM mode in it

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Here Comes The Pain was REALLY good. Title histories were recorded and it was fun looking at them. I had a tag team that went 120+ successful title defenses. The season mode was also really good despite some hiccups. I faced Booker T in a backstage brawl once when I was already Booker T. And Lesnar/Goldberg were fucking awesome to use, actually felt like you were destroying whoever you were facing when you played as them. Eric Bischoff was playable which was epic too.

I liked Smackdown 2, too. :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
Smackdown 2, with the first a close-ish 2nd place.
Agreed. Smackdown 2 was so much fun to play back in the day. The roster had everyone on it, even a lot of the lower card guys so the replay value was fantastic. Was just a great pick up and play wrestling game that had a great arcade feel. I also enjoyed, Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes The Pain, simply because i couldn't find many faults with either of them.

·
There's only one of me
1,203 Posts
Like many others are saying, HCTP is the best, and I don't think it's close.

The earlier Smackdown games were far too reckless in the ring...too fast, and too much going on. Graphics weren't as good as HCTP, obviously. The CAW mode for the first two or three was terrible.

Those that followed HCTP...they had everything upgraded, but really, the button changes destroyed the series. When they went away from the controls used in HCTP, I lost all interest in the rest of their games. Let's face it: a game like Legends of Wrestlemania would've been pretty awesome if it had HCTP's controls (the wrestling, anyway...it did lack other features, but you know what I'm saying).

I'd go as far as saying No Mercy, WM 2000 and WCW/NWO Revenge are better than any Smackdown game NOT named HCTP.

I keep reading that WWE '12 is going back to the old HCTP button configuration, so that probably means I'm buying the game, instead of just renting it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I always rent games instead of buying them when they first come out. But WWE 12' will be a definite buy.

I agree though HCTP was by far the best. Playing as Lesnar and Goldberg. They gave the affect that they were unbeatable. It made the game so much fun.

·
Fairy Hunter
1,782 Posts
I'm not being a bandwagoner, but Here Comes the Pain gets my vote for first place. I haven't played it lately, but I probably should. The last time I played its season mode, I picked Austin and I was whippin' everyone's ass, lol. I hardly ever, if not at all, lost.

If I were to pick a game for second place, I'd have to go with Just Bring It. The commentary by Cole and Tazz is so bad it's hilarious.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
As far as the SmackDown titles goes my vote goes toward Here Comes The Pain, easily. Up until I sold my PS2 earlier this year. I would play that game constantly. Probably, one of the only SmackDown titles that I could really go back to. I loved playing as Ultimo Dragon myself, as I was a decently big fan of the guy. Well...him and Hollywood Rock were always my two choices.

SmackDown 2 was pretty good for it's time, but the loading times are what kills me. Plus, I wasn't a big fan of the season mode at all. Tried re-playing it at my dads earlier (he's got a PSX for my nephew) and I ended up playing KYR for a little bit. And I can't get the enjoyment out of it as I once did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts