Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like I'm reading all these threads and everyone is hating the latest Raw. I, on the other hand, really enjoyed it. I'd go so far as to say this was the best Raw in recent memory. Now, I know WWE stills needs a lot of improvements but overall this was progressive.

First of all, yes three hours is a long time, I see a few complaints about that. But this is why we have DVR or Tivo or whathaveyou. I could never sit through any WWE program and watch it in real-time with commercials and shit. I need that fast-forward button to get through all the recaps and women's matches.

They gave the KOTR tournament enough time to be good. The Alberto Del Rio vs. Daniel Bryan, Morrison vs. Cody Rhodes, and Sheamus vs. Morrison matches were all pretty damn good for tv. They had an intensity you don't see too often.

And Cena, okay it was annoying to have him back on the show so soon after his farewell and all that. Kinda deflates his farewell tearful speech when he shows up the next episode. But whatever, thats what they want to do. I have to say his beat downs of the Nexus were pretty awesome and a lot more brutal than we have seen in a long time. Putting Heath through the announce table, and Gabriel with the car and all that, that was pretty refreshing.

Now to the final problem people had with it, Miz vs. Lawler. Okay, at first I was groaning when I saw this being played out, thinking the match would just be a total train wreck. But you know what? For an old man, Lawler did well. The match was pretty damn decent, and you don't get to see these kinds of matches at all on tv anymore. And Miz, I don't think it made him look weak at all. If anything I respected him a bit more for taking two fairly nasty bumps.

I don't think almost losing to Lawler makes him look weak. It's a crazy TLC match where random chaotic shit happens...they can easily explain away the close finish due to this factor.

And lastly, maybe FINALLY Cole can now go full-blown heel, instead of his annoying flip flopping between face and heel he's been doing lately.

Does anyone agree with me, or am I nuts?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Cena, okay it was annoying to have him back on the show so soon after his farewell and all that. Kinda deflates his farewell tearful speech when he shows up the next episode. But whatever, thats what they want to do. I have to say his beat downs of the Nexus were pretty awesome and a lot more brutal than we have seen in a long time. Putting Heath through the announce table, and Gabriel with the car and all that, that was pretty refreshing.
I think the farewell was heartfelt. I have no questions about his farewell speech. But I think this angle they're pulling off is in direct combat with TNA's recent influx of "___ or be fired." matches lately. WWE started it, but this exchange of ideas is more of competition than anything.

A few months ago, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash weren't even hired, and yet they still make some TV time. This is something that WWE have wanted to do for quite some time, I bet. And they did it the PERFECT way. They ALMOST did it with Chris Jericho when JeriShow was about to fall apart. But the ratings told them a different story, so they canned the whole storyline before they could build it up.

This storyline with Nexus is so big, that Nexus is selling tons of T-Shirts. I mean, shit, they even have two different shirts, and one sweater now.
And lastly, maybe FINALLY Cole can now go full-blown heel, instead of his annoying flip flopping between face and heel he's been doing lately.

Does anyone agree with me, or am I nuts?
That's the part that WWE had me. Cole's been acting a little inconsistent lately. I have a feeling that Cole is the mystery GM. I mean why else would they champion him as the person who does all the reading for the GM? I mean really.

I mean, for fuck's sakes, put someone else on in that position, too for once, if you're going to make the GM mysterious.

And I think Cole is going to be in a new storyline with this twist with lawler.

So, I say the last two weeks Raws has been subpar, and this one was the best one in a while. I was like, "oh shit! FINALLY!" Finally WWE does something extremely creative, and added some edge to it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I actually enjoyed the Raw. It was 2 hours for me, as I missed it so downloaded the show. No ads, thank you very much!

There were some decent matches on it. Morrison v Sheamus was a cracker, and was far better than their match at Survivor Series in my opinion.

They've shocked me in as much as with what they're doing, I'm actually finding Cena's character interesting now. His beatdown on Justin Gabriel looked brutal!

Finally, the TLC match. Well, I'm not 100% sure what they planned to accomplish with that one, but the overriding thought I came out of that one with was how much it must have hurt when Miz got dropped on the ladder back first.

The main downer for me was the 6-diva tag, which stunk up the arena. Even Natalya couldn't save that one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was about to post a similar thread. It seems like the WWE finally has some direction.

They got this recent champion Sheamus and for 2 months haven't had anything to do with him. I think him winning KOTR makes sense with his character, but also it's something new for him. The feud with Morrison has been nice, but this KOTR win is huge for Sheamus.

On the other hand Morrison's advancement to the finals (over Del Rio in Semi's) was huge for him, and elevates him to the upper mid card. Del Rio is already so over with the fans, and didn't need the win. He has an interesting character, a developing with Mysterio that's becoming pretty awesome, and like I said before he's already over, the loses he's had lately don't hurt him at all.

I like Cena's character now. The whole Nexus, Cena angle before just felt go G rated, but last week it jumped up a notch. It makes the Barrett/Cena feud much more interesting, and with this latest turn of events they could ride this feud to Mania (if they do it right). Personally, a Cena/Orton/Barret triple threat main event at Mania would be unbelievable. Cena vs Orton has been done before, and Cena/Barrett might get tiresome by Mania, but this makes the match much more compelling. It would be the best Mania title match in years, i'm certain of it.

Finally, I didn't have a problem with The Miz/Jerry Lawler fight. I actually thought Jerry was going to win by Orton interference, and then they would take the belt off him the following week and make The Miz look very strong in that match. If they continue this angle with Lawler, and Cole, then that will be fine, but it doesn't make sense unless they plan on doing something else. The Miz took some hard falls actually though, and Lawler had a great match. Overall, I just wished they got Orton involved, but after The Miz's celebration speech, I feel much better about his character and feel like the WWE is planning something good with him.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,814 Posts
Every week we argue about particular episodes of Raw, but the real main story right now is that Raw has been better and consistently good in 2010, something that I could not say between mid-2006 through Little People's Court. It's been a great "comeback" year.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh, also I was so thankful they seem like they have a plan for Ted Dibiase ! He's got upside for sure, but he's been booked horribly. I like what's they've done lately, but I didn't know why they had made him job so badly in the last month. Now it makes sense. He's a man angry at the world, hates everything, and will destroy everything in his way. He's got the size (6'3, 245) to be an intimidating heel .. he doesn't look like Batista, but give him a new outfit, theme, and keep the beard, and you could have a good heel.

I seriously I expect a lot of they contiunue to take this direction .. I think WWE lacks a really great heel (besides ADR, who's more of a comic heel anyways). If they give him to Smackdown, let him build some victories going into the Rumble, let him do well in the Rumble (enter early and last 20 - 25 minutes, or have him be in the final 5 or so wrestlers) his stock could soar. You could book him into a single's match at Mania. Sounds like a long shot, but this change of character could put him over in a big way.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think Ted is better off without that bitch on his side, she's too shallow for him.

"Oh. You're making me look bad!" Man, fuck you bitch.

I was happy when he said "SHUT UP!" The first word that came out of my mouth is "EXACTLY! EXACTLY!"

·
Registered
77 Posts
It seems like I'm reading all these threads and everyone is hating the latest Raw. I, on the other hand, really enjoyed it. I'd go so far as to say this was the best Raw in recent memory.
Without even reading the rest of the post I will reply to this:

Yes, KOTR was an awesome RAW, but the best RAW in recent memory was when they went oldschool.

I do think it's safe to say that Raw has been kicking ass lately.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I think Ted is better off without that bitch on his side, she's too shallow for him.

"Oh. You're making me look bad!" Man, fuck you bitch.

I was happy when he said "SHUT UP!" The first word that came out of my mouth is "EXACTLY! EXACTLY!"
Huh? RAW would be better if Maryse came out with someone for every WWE match, in a different outfit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maryse should actually be on commentary more, she is suprisingly good at it. Imagine her and Punk arguing ? That could be good. I've never felt like she was the cause of DiBiase's post-Legacy bland career.

Ted jr. just doesn't really have a good gimmick/character that fits him. They recycled his Dad's gimmick-- which might have been good if they gave him vignettes and stuff of him being a rich prick, but they have yet to do so, so it's largely failed. I'm still kinda in awe that CODY turned about to be the real star.

Oh, and I forgot to mention another reason why this last Raw was good, Miss USA Rima Fakih (there's a joke in that name, somewhere) was just scorchingly hot.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Best raw in a while far from it but I liked the emotional factor that they had.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I somewhat agree with the OP. RAW was really good this week, but I still think "Old School RAW" was a little better. Overall though, the past month has been awesome for RAW. Keep up the good work WWE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts