Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Re: Best racing games you've ever played.

I'm not exactly a big time racing game fan but I was all aboard the Gran Turismo 1+2 train back in the day. Lots of great memories of those games. Its funny seeing either nowadays because they look pretty damn ugly and yet I couldve sworn that back then they looked borderline real.

Burnout 3 was extremely hype and tons of fun. Daytona USA has some brilliant cheesy music although from what I remember the Saturn port was quite stripped down. Sega Rally was great. Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive/Genesis didnt play all that well but for its time the tech was hugely impressive. I cant remember much first hand about the Colin McRae (RIP) games tbh other than they were highly regarded and I liked them back then.

To throw a more obscure one out there - Total Drivin/Grand Tour Racing was hugely overlooked. It had formula racing, rally, buggies etc.

If Wipeout counts they would be up there too. Some of the best soundtracks in gaming history.

·
From parts unknown
23,257 Posts
Re: Best racing games you've ever played.

Not to be like a retro hipster or anything, but tbh this game was *very* good.

I've played a lot of games since, but other than Gran Turismo 2, I haven't gotten as much enjoyment out of them as I did from Screamer.

I did enjoy a few NFS games too.

·
Life is Good.
3,923 Posts

^I have never thought about a racing game so often as much as I have been thinking about this masterpiece. Nowadays I game a lot of Burnout Paradise, Crash Team Racing and Mario Kart 64 but still to this date Hot Pursuit 2 has that special intimate place in my heart.

Used to (and still do) possess similar sentiments toward OutRun even further back in the day:

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
I don't remember the name but it was a PS2 game where you would do underground street races going from city to city moving your way up the ranks and circuits. You could get bonus cash to buy new cars get upgrades repaint your car etc. for doing certain stunts or using certain routes or getting from Point A to Point B in less than X amount of time and the police would show up and chase you set up roadblocks and stuff. It was really fun

·
Fighting the feeling...
2,456 Posts
NFS Underground 2 (legendary)
Forza 4 (hasn't been the same since)
Gran Turismo 3 (endurance races ftw)
Isle of Man TT (bike racing in the arcades on replica bikes, hard as fuck but great fun).

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
modnation racers, wish sony would have made a sequel rather than that lbp racing game

·
Registered
11,806 Posts

Put so many hours into that game on XBL and it's 2 sequels PGR3 and 4 over the years. Still the best racing game series I've ever played.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Crash Team Racing (Original or Remake) if I can include less realistic.

For the more realism sort of racing, probably either V-Rally 2 or Forza Motorsport 2.

·
HEADBANGA
22,462 Posts
Need for Speed Underground
WRC Rally 6 (I much prefer this series over the DIRT series)
Gran Turismo (Tied to my childhood memories)
Burn Out 3
Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero (The highway battles were the fucking bomb)
Grid 2
Forza 2 (This game really put the Gran Turismo series to shame)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Don’t know if anyone else will remember this but for me was a game called toca race driver, loved it and the second one.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Didn't see anyone post this one. I love the Jak series and didn't have a whole lot of expectations for this game as I wasn't really into racing games at the time, but it turned out to be amazing. Very cool concept for the series, addicting gameplay, fun campaign/story mode, cool vehicles (it gave me Twisted Metal vibes), good characters, and a badass soundtrack.
The soundtrack for this game was just awesome, it was a mix of rock, metal, and techno. It was unique.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Burnout Revenge
Split/Second
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart 64
Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed
Sonic Team Racing
Burnout Paradise
Tubeslider
Kinetica