Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me, it happened moments before he lost the World Heavyweight Championship at TLC. Rey Mysterio goes for an ill-advised moonsault on Kane, but of course Kane catches him and Tombstones him to hell. And Kane simply starts to grin and laugh, like an overgrown monstrous child who's just dropped a large, heavy rock on a lizard in his backyard.

It wasn't cartoonish like his promos against Undertaker in late summer/early fall with the overproduction that plagued so much of that material (the incessant lights, but far worse the music they put in during postproduction), it wasn't redundant or made him look stupid like the entire feud with Edge and it wasn't something you've seen fourteen years ago from a much-better Mick Foley promo rewarmed for the five thousandth time (easy, quick example, the "Christmas promo" earlier in the night).

It was, in my opinion, what Kane should always be: a sick, twisted, deranged and disturbing figure who actually casts a palpable sense of discomfort. For the first and only time as World Heavyweight Champion, I genuinely felt that come through for those few seconds following that Tombstone.

What do you think was the best moment of Kane's five-month reign?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I did enjoy that moment.

The "Devil's Favorite Demon," was a bit much. Kayfabe has limits, and the Undertaker/Kane feud crossed them many times.

Kane is much better off being psychopathic, and not possessed and demonic. Someone who has fun toying with his opponents, and will long to do it again if he has the chance. Like you said, a deranged overgrown child.

The realistic craze that a psycho Kane would give off would be much more frightening, much more intimidating than a demonic Kane, who even the children can tell is kayfabe.

So I would have to agree with you. In 5 months of a title reign, tonight was where I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Haha yeah. That moonsault-Tombstone reversal was pretty epic, I dunno his MITB cash-in was kind of my favorite moment, it was just so shocking but also well-timed.

·
The Man
15,344 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. That was great.

I really enjoyed Kane's reign, even though I know a lot of people didn't. His promos were usually good, the matches were... well not so good, but acceptable at least. And although the storylines got kind of silly, what I like most about his reign is that unlike the other reigns this year in Swagger, Rey, and even Jericho, the belt was CREDIBLE. Kane played a big part in every episode of Smackdown unlike some other champs (cough Seamus) and was built up as a monster again, something I never thought they would pull off with Kane. He also had a long reign, by todays standards, and got some big wins over Undertaker and others. My only complaint is that I kind of wanted him to go over at TLC, as Edge has been one-upping him every week, and honestly I don't want to see Edge as champion again anyway. But on the plus side Kane should be in the Royal Rumble again, and it is his 13th appearance in a row right? It would be neat if he matched or broke his Royal Rumble elimination record of 13, to keep his momentum as a credible monster going, only to finally be toppled by an up and coming face like Kofi Kingston at Wrestlemania.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Hard to say really. I've already begun to repress the whole thing.

I'd probably say its that milli-second after realising Kane isnt champion anymore and before realising Edge is champion now. That or when Undertaker smashed that can of mountain dew against Kane's head at Night of Champions. That or the night Taker was all emo and shit, then he see Paul Bearer, rolled his eyes back, went crazy, beat the holy hell out of Kane Old School Undertaker style.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
The second his reign went longer than 24 hours, already making it better than his first haha but seriously, my favorite was his promo after Summerslam.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
His promo on Smackdown after Teddy Long announced that Taker was in vegetative state gave me goosebumps, so yeah, that.

Edit*- Oops, i forgot he still wasn't a champion at that time, lol, my bad. His cash in on Rey at MITB totally caught me by surprise, it was totally a great moment, i think that's my pick.

·
Premium Member
12,236 Posts
Apart from the initial cashing in of the Money in the Bank briefcase and subsequent winning of the World Heavyweight Championship, my favourite moment would have to be from SummerSlam. Having destroyed Rey Mysterio, we had the predictable Undertaker return, where I guarantee NOBODY thought Kane would get the upper hand. Instead, WWE finally does something different and has Kane lay out Taker on the night of his return. That was the moment for me.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Probably Summerslam when Taker returned and Kane still took him out.

I'm interested to see where Kane goes from here now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Kane's Goldfish promo of course! It was a really emotional moment and I think Kane delivered the best promo I've ever seen, too bad if you don't agree and think that the sub-standard promos delivered by the rest of the roster are even worth mentioning. This man has a degree in English Literature and his articulation serves to prove that.

I loved every single moment of Kane's reign and am pretty distraught that it's over. However I'm glad that such a reign even came to pass. No matter how much the naysayers and Kane-bashers detract his abilities, Kane is one of those cult-figures who has a limited yet very passionate fan-base who will continue to appreciate everything he does and mark for every milestone he reaches. In my opinion the most underrated and misunderstood wrestler on the roster.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
For me, the best point was the moment when Edge took the belt and ended it. Smackdown, bar ADR, has been so poor during his reign.

Now we just need someone to take the belt off Edge now too lol.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, being in attendance for Summerslam, I must admit, the sight of Undertaker returning only to get his ass whooped by Kane was pretty awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Beating Undertaker not once, not twice, but three consecutive times on PPV. Massive Undertaker mark, but I absolutely loved seeing Kane finally get some real victories in their perpetual feud.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts