Wrestling Forum banner

Best Mic Worker from the eighties?

Best Mic Worker from the eighties?

2061 Views 38 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Arya Dark
The eighties were the most important decade in wrestling history. That was when wrestling evolved from a backyard sport to a mainstream entertainment business. Mic work wasn't as important then, as it it now; but there still were some great mic workers in the business at that time. Which of them is the best in your opinion?

NOTE: No Managers Please. If there is a wrestler not listed above, please specify the same.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Banned
18,124 Posts
Ric Flair, of course. Best in any decade.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
Well considering i have said on many occasions that i believe Ric Flair and Mick Foley to be the greatest mic workers on a consistant basis of all time and Ric Flair was the best in ring performer anywhere in the world in the 1980's i would have to go with Ric Flair just over Rowdy Roddy Piper. I am not saying from that list that Jake Roberts wasn't great but he became a much better mic worker in 1990 in my opinion and was at his absolute best when he turned heel in mid 1991.

There is a reason for why Ric Flair recieved so much praise for his all round game in NWA/WCW back in the 1980's and that was because not only was he the best in ring performer but also his mic work made people buy into his feuds and matches even more. Ask any wrestler who excelled in the mid to late 90's and they will all tell you that Ric Flair was their wrestling idol and a lot of them like Shawn Michaels, Triple H and Chris Jericho to name a few will tell you that they based a lot of their heel promo's on the style and material that Ric Flair would use in the 1980's.

· Registered
290 Posts
What'cha gonna do when the 24 inch pythons run wild on you brother dude? Hogan & Savage were above average to solid on the mic. That's all they needed to be since they had presence and charisma. Y'know, Mean Gene, they could really build an expectancy for their next big match with their pre-taped interviews but its not really comparable to now when most mic work is done live in the ring and smaller guys like Jericho and Punk can elevate themselves by doing it well in one take.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.