Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
List your top 5 matches that never happened because of the participants being in different promotions. Even if the match did happen later in their careers and it was a disappointment, then it's cool to name it. Please take the time to discuss what year you would like for it to have happened and why. Lets avoid matches that were impossible because of being from different eras.

1.Flair vs Savage in WCW between 88 and 90. WM8 was great, but WCW 89 would have let them go 60 minutes easy. The promos would have been better as they wouldn't have evolved around fake photos of Liz and the element. The Horseman element would also be there.

2 Sting vs Undertaker at WM14- This was when the Crow Sting still had a great deal of momentum even though it had lost some after Starrcade. They were both very dark and the possibilities to push the gimmicks further than ever would have been awesome.

3.Steamboat vs Shawn around 92. I'm not 100% sure that this match never happened, but I never saw it. I would much rather put a 87 Steamboat vs a 96 Shawn, but no time travel here.

4. Hogan vs Austin WM15- Hogan still had some steam left at this time and had he come back to WWE it would have been a true passing of the torch match.

5.Ultimate Warrior vs Sting Starrcade 90- I always wished that The Black Scorpion was Warrior. Both of them were pretty fresh off of the biggest win of their career and the history of them formerly being a tag team really added depth to the story.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Stone Cold vs Hulk Hogan Wrestlemania 16 or 17

My scenario:It would be revealed Hulk Hogan was the one who ran over Stone Cold.Hogan would reveal that he grew jealous of Austin's success on beating all of the records set by Hogan in the 80's.Hogan would say how he took WWF global and decided what he created,he could destroy.He almost succeeded putting WWF out of business and if it wasn't for Austin,he would have succeeded.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stone Cold vs Hulk Hogan Wrestlemania 16 or 17

My scenario:It would be revealed Hulk Hogan was the one who ran over Stone Cold.Hogan would reveal that he grew jealous of Austin's success on beating all of the records set by Hogan in the 80's.Hogan would say how he took WWF global and decided what he created,he could destroy.He almost succeeded putting WWF out of business and if it wasn't for Austin,he would have succeeded.
That's an awesome thought.I have always compared the Black Scorpion story to the Riskishi story. I honestly think they simply didn't know what to do and had to do something. Vince could have been backing Hogan similar to the way he did Dude Love.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
1991 was filled with missed opportunities with respect to the return of Ricky steamboat.

Steamboat-Bret hart

Steamboat-mr perfect

Steamboat-savage the rematch

Steamboat-flair upon, flair's real world champion run.

Just to name a few, steamboat's entire return was such a waste, that he took a deal with wcw in late 1991.

As for the question at hand:

Austin-Goldberg 1998

Outsiders- new age outlaws 98

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
I've been trying to have a think on this, I was thinking about how I'd have really liked to have seen a Rick Martel/Mr Perfect feud ... they DID have a match on Raw, when Perfect had gone face, but I think a Perfect/Martel heel vs heel feud would have been really good around that time!!!

I would have loved to have seen the Steamboat/Hart match also, and Perfect/Steamboat too would have been great ... maybe a Bret Hart/Rick Rude feud would have been good also, in 1990 or something, but I know Bret was still part of the Hart Foundation then.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Austin-Goldberg 1998
I can't believe I missed that one. Wow. Would you have don it before or after Goldberg's victory over Hogan and would you have allowed Austin to end the streak?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I can't believe I missed that one. Wow. Would you have don it before or after Goldberg's victory over Hogan and would you have allowed Austin to end the streak?
After The victory over hogan, i would have had. Goldberg win.

I'm a bigger Austin fan but everyone would expect Austin to win as the wwe guy but you have Goldberg win, he still has the streak intact and you can do big money rematches.

Austin could handle the loss, Goldberg losses and that's the end of his maximum drawing power.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After The victory over hogan, i would have had. Goldberg win.

I'm a bigger Austin fan but everyone would expect Austin to win as the wwe guy but you have Goldberg win, he still has the streak intact and you can do big money rematches.

Austin could handle the loss, Goldberg losses and that's the end of his maximum drawing power.
So am I correct to assume that you would have done it at Atarrcade 98 or would you have had Goldberg come to WM 15 with the streak intact?

·
Banned
473 Posts
1991 was filled with missed opportunities with respect to the return of Ricky steamboat.

Steamboat-Bret hart

Steamboat-mr perfect

Steamboat-savage the rematch

Steamboat-flair upon, flair's real world champion run.

Just to name a few, steamboat's entire return was such a waste, that he took a deal with wcw in late 1991.
Fuck Vince with his hate towards Steamboat.

He couldn't do a rematch with Savage (Savage was "retired" back then) but a match with Perfect or with Flair could've been awesome.

By the way, he had a match with Bret, only at 1986.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

He couldn't do a rematch with Savage (Savage was "retired" back then) but a match with Perfect or with Flair could've been awesome.

I have always wondered if it bothered Vince that what some consider to be the best WWE match of the 80's had Steamboat in it. I always felt that Vince considered him a NWA guy and robbed us of these matches for this very reason.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
So am I correct to assume that you would have done it at Atarrcade 98 or would you have had Goldberg come to WM 15 with the streak intact?

I would have done it starrcade. The Bret match in 86 was nice but it was more or less a trailer to a really great movie, both were capable of so much more. And by 91 both were so much better, a 91 classic would have been a lock.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Chris Jericho vs The Undertaker at a big time stage, their only match was a useless one on smackdown.

Reactions: austin316 G.O.A.T

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have done it starrcade. The Bret match in 86 was nice but it was more or less a trailer to a really great movie, both were capable of so much more. And by 91 both were so much better, a 91 classic would have been a lock.
91 sounds about as fair of a compromise possible. I haven't seen much of Steamboat's early 80's matches, but form what I saw he put on his best matches in 88-89 and I think Bret was at his best between 94-96.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
What year would you have done it in?

Numerous times at WM. WM 19, WM 27, WM 28.

Especially WM 28 with Jerichos "end of the world return"

WM 19 could have been GOAT

ROCK/HBK
Austin/Hogan
Jericho/Taker

·
Banned
473 Posts
I have always wondered if it bothered Vince that what some consider to be the best WWE match of the 80's had Steamboat in it. I always felt that Vince considered him a NWA guy and robbed us of these matches for this very reason.
Not only that. Steamboat requested some time off after he won the IC title because his son was born. Vince couldn't stand it and since then he jobbed Steamboat out.

Also, Steamboat thinks it was because he "Outperformed" Andre and Hogan at Mania.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
-Kurt Angle Vs Bret Hart around 2002 or 2003
-Chris Jericho Vs Bret Hart around 2002 or 2003
-The Rock Vs Stone Cold Vs Triple H at Wrestlemania 2000
-Undertaker Vs Sting in 1997-1999
-Hulk Hogan Vs Stone Cold in 98-02
-Hulk Hogan Vs Bret Hart around 1993 or 1994
-Stone Cold Vs Goldberg around 1998-2001
-John Cena Vs Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 23
-John Cena Vs The Rock at Wrestlemania 25
-Stone Cold Vs Randy Orton in 2009
-The Undertaker Vs Randy Orton in 2009
-CM Punk Vs Shawn Michaels in 2009

Something like that. There are so many.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,222 Posts
Here is the one I always wanted to see, because both men wrestled just about everyone except each other.

Jerry Lawler vs. Ric Steamboat 1984 in Memphis, both men in their primes, two masters. The really interesting thing to me and the main reason I would like to see this would be watching Steamboat have to play the heel. Did not matter who came into the CWA at this time they were getting boos against Lawler. Happened to an ultra-babyface AWA champ Rick Martel when he came to Nashville in the mid 80's, he could not believe he was getting boos, but he did a pretty good job adjusting and playing the heel. The CWA booking style did not allow for face vs face matches. If they had them someone was turning heel by the end.

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
Bret Hart vs HBK Wrestlemania (screwjob revenge match) - Bret comes back to pay Vince and HBK back for the screw job.

This is the match I wanted to see so bad.

Austin-Hogan
Sting-Undertaker
Cena-Austin

1 - 20 of 25 Posts