Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Next month I am going to be the best man at a wedding, I am feeling slightly nervous and need some guidance with my speech. Can anyone give any tips?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Tell some jokes and embarrassing stories about the groom but make sure they're the right kind of embarrassing. Not anything that'll get him an early divorce lol!

But add a moment or two of light heart-warming stuff before finishing the speech with the biggest joke of them all.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Hi all,

Next month I am going to be the best man at a wedding, I am feeling slightly nervous and need some guidance with my speech. Can anyone give any tips?
Good luck with this mate, there'll be a lot of pressure on you but if you stay calm and just deliver something that is suitable to the couple then you'll be fine.

The key to public speaking is catoring what you're saying to your audience (and by audience I don't mean everybody who will be hearing it, I mean the people who you wan the speech to please) and also believing everything that you say and making what you say sound convincing. That way it will draw in the audience and will go down a treat.

·
40,592 Posts
Just remember this day isn't about you. What you say is important, but it really does mean very little relative to the bride and then groom. In other words don't pressure yourself to come up with hilarious jokes and Shakespearean tales. Definitely prepare something, but don't over think it because you're gonna get up, speak, and then it's over. The focus will be on you for only a few minutes. Relax.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,967 Posts
Open with "I was actually so nervous about this speech that I asked for help on an internet message board...<insert punchline>".

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Take a Valium, relax, and talk about one of your best friend's and his wife in a positive light. Don't try too hard, you'll end up fucking it up.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,343 Posts
Get drunk and wing it. My half brother made 2 hilarious speeches at both of my other half brothers weddings and he said he was drunk both times and didn't plan anything.

Just stay away from some topics, mostly other girls. Even my drunk brother knew enough not to mention the first wedding at the second wedding.

Just make sure you say something serious during the end.

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
780 Posts
Like someone before me said, the spotlight is only going to be on you for a few minutes during this speech. The day is about the two people you are speaking about. A couple good jokes maybe a harmless story wrap it up with warm thoughts and well wishes and you're home free. Just remember the difference between a good speech and a bad speech is bedding the maid of honor or going home with the groom's alcoholic great grandmother. In the words of Titus O'Neill "Make it a win"

·
40,592 Posts
brief stories about

something funny
something sweet

then something about their future etc

basically remember that its not about you, its about the groom and bride.
If by groom and bride you mean bride then I agree. The groom is just a prop for her that day (hyperbole btw). Weddings are all about the bride, the groom is just the most important least important person.

Otherwise, yeah there's the nothing to sweat about the Best Man speech. No one will remember it in all likelihood.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I dread the idea of giving a speech at a wedding so much that I pretty much ensure I don't have an absolute best male friend to reduce my chances of being asked to be a best man. If I ever have a daughter someone can adopt her, that covers my father of the bride speech.

I also don't believe in getting married, which covers my groom speech. Public speaking is almost a phobia of mine lol.

If all else fails and you really can't pull off a good speech, do what my Sister's Husband's Father did at his Daughters wedding. "ehhh, I'm not very good at these things so, here's to Michelle and Gordon".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts