Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Re: Best ECW Match of all time??

Here's a few that don't usually get mentioned:

Shane Douglas vs. 2 Cold Scorpio - Matter of Respect ’96 (5/11/96 TV Title) ****3/4
2 Cold Scorpio vs. Eddy Guerrero - Three Way Dance (4/8/95) ****1/4
Chris Candido/Lance Storm vs. Doug Furnas/Phil Lafon (10/18/97) ****
Rob Van Dam/Sabu vs. Doug Furnas/Dan Kroffat (9/14/96) ****
Lance Storm vs. Jerry Lynn – Anarchy Rulz (9/19/99) ***3/4
Chris Candido vs. Lance Storm - Heatwave ‘98 (8/2/98) ***1/2
Rob Van Dam vs. Doug Furnas - Natural Born Killaz (8/24/96) ***1/2
Lance Storm vs. Chris Candido – As Good As It Gets (9/20/97) ***

Here's a few that are usually overrated:

Raven/Richards vs. The Pitbulls – Gangsters Paradise (9/16/95 - 2/3 Falls Double Dog Collar, Tag Titles) ***1/4
Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn - Hardcore Heaven '99 (5/16/99 TV Title) ***1/2
Taz vs. Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome - Anarchy Rulz (9/19/99 World Title) ***

·
Ramble On
11,108 Posts

I can't remember many being particularly great, just a lot of fun. The match in the OP is the one that first came to mind. Then there's Eddie/Malenko obviously. There are probably a lot that are hidden away amongst some of the garbage matches. I loved the Awesome/Tanaka matches when I first saw them years ago actually. Also probably anything involving Eddie and Benoit was probably worth watching. I remember a RVD vs Bam Bam Bigelow match that I used to go crazy over, the one with those insane dives into the crowd.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts

Here's a few that are usually overrated:

Raven/Richards vs. The Pitbulls – Gangsters Paradise (9/16/95 - 2/3 Falls Double Dog Collar, Tag Titles) ***1/4
Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn - Hardcore Heaven '99 (5/16/99 TV Title) ***1/2
Taz vs. Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome - Anarchy Rulz (9/19/99 World Title) ***
Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko - 2/3 falls match - ***
fyp. i see people give 5* to that last match and it's not even close.

I remember a RVD vs Bam Bam Bigelow match that I used to go crazy over, the one with those insane dives into the crowd.
This was the match where RVD won the TV title and it was great and with a great angle. Bigelow and Sabu had a match coming up at the next ppv and RVD was supposed to just "soften up" Bigelow but instead he won and faced Sabu causing a rift in the tag champs (i think sabu/rvd where the champs at this point).

RVD vs Bam Bam pt. 1
RVD vs Bam Bam pt. 2

Lance Storm vs. Chris Candido – As Good As It Gets (9/20/97) ***
This event is probably the best ever produced by ECW. Had Justin Credible's debut vs Jerry Lynn. Sabu vs Sandman in a Stairway to Hell match, Kronus/New Jack vs Dudleys in an incredible brawl, , Fonzi vs Bealuh, Douglas vs Lefon. Even the opener with Balls and Axl vs FBI was great. And the best squash match ever Bam Bam vs Spike Dudley after Spike had beat Bam Bam at the previous ppv.

·
Registered
402 Posts

- Mike Awesome Vs Masato Tanaka - ECW One Night Stand & ECW November To Remember 1999

- Dick Togo/Taka Michinoku/Terry Boy Vs Gran Hamada/Masato Yakushiji/The Great Sasuke - ECW Barely Legal 1997

- Bam Bam Bigelow Vs Taz - ECW Heat Wave 1998

- Psicosis Vs Rey Misterio Jr. - ECW November To Remember 1995

- Dean Malenko Vs Eddie Guerrero - ECW Hostile City Showdown 1995

- Sabu Vs Shane Douglas Vs Terry Funk - ECW The Night The Line Was Crossed 1994

·
Banned
852 Posts

Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero 2 out of 3 falls is my favorite ECW match.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts

I hated that match to be honest, seem to go on forever. I've not seen enough actual matches to come up with the best match but I do remember really enjoying a Steve Corino-Dusty Rhodes match.

·
Banned
852 Posts

I'm a biased Dean Malenko mark and not ashamed to admit it. I'm such a fan of his work that I probably overrate a lot of it. It's my favorite 2 out of 3 falls match as well.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts

RVD vs. Jerry Lynn at Hardcore Heaven '99. Best match of both their careers. I swear each was born onto this earth just to work with the other.

·
Registered
557 Posts

The Guerrero/Malenko 2/3 Falls match is awesome simply because of the crowd. Its one of the only times they actually go nuts for a pure wrestling match, which obviously makes it stand out above stuff like the Candido/Storm series, even though the action and psychology is about on par for the most part. Its a sentimental favorite of mine for great reasons, but I can see where the piece would have its detractors.

·
Registered
557 Posts

RVD vs. Jerry Lynn at Hardcore Heaven '99. Best match of both their careers. I swear each was born onto this earth just to work with the other.
Really? I remember really digging that match back in the day, but I just watched it a few months back and it didn't do much for me. It is quite honestly just spot after spot (and, granted, some of them are cool spots) with literally nothing tying the spots together to keep the viewer on the edge of their seats. I much prefer their first PPV match from Living Dangerously, where they manage to do some unique spots while keeping it interesting for 20 minutes.

I also recommend picking up a copy of the upcoming WWE ECW DVD/Blu Ray Unreleased Match Vol. 1, which will contain their first meeting from August '98 in the ECW Arena. HANDS DOWN their best match in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts

Really? I remember really digging that match back in the day, but I just watched it a few months back and it didn't do much for me. It is quite honestly just spot after spot (and, granted, some of them are cool spots) with literally nothing tying the spots together to keep the viewer on the edge of their seats. I much prefer their first PPV match from Living Dangerously, where they manage to do some unique spots while keeping it interesting for 20 minutes.

I also recommend picking up a copy of the upcoming WWE ECW DVD/Blu Ray Unreleased Match Vol. 1, which will contain their first meeting from August '98 in the ECW Arena. HANDS DOWN their best match in my opinion.
Also, Jerry Lynn cracked his face on the floor about 5 minutes into the match and was knocked out. The fact that he continued for another 20 minutes is incredible.

But, my top 10 ECW matches are:

Super Crazy/Tajiri---Mexican Death Match from ECW on TNN
Tajiri/Psychosis---from Hardcore TV
Sabu/Chris Candido---from Cyberslam 1997
Raven/Dr. Death---from 1997
RVD/Sabu---from Hardcore TV 1998 (TV Title match that I believe 3 times time expired
Mike Awesome/Masato Tanaka---from Heatwave 1998
Steiners & Guerrero/Benoit, Malenko & Cactus Jack---from Hardcore TV 1995
Bam Bam/Shane Douglas---November 2 Remember 1997
Guerrero/Malenko---from Hardcore TV 1995 (2/3 falls match)
Dudleys/Dreamer & Sandman/Gangstanators/RVD & Sabu---from Hardcore TV 1998.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts

My two personal favorites are:

Taz vs Sabu - Grudge Match of the Century - Barely Legal 97 - After about a year build this match was as violent and insane as I thought it was going to be.

Jericho vs Douglas vs Scorpio vs Pitbull 2 - Heatwave 96 - Great payoff furthering the Douglas/Pitbulls/Francine story. Joey Styles' commentary was especially great in this match. "Mr. Salty". "The Filthy Franchise".

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts

Question I need help with.

Does anybody know the name of Sabu's original theme music in ECW? I'm referring to the music he used from 1995-early 1998. It really bugs me that I can't find it. I thought it was better than "Huka Blues".

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

I'm not good with remembering the events but
RVD vs Bam Bam for the TV title was awesome, as was both Bam Bam vs Tazz affairs but my favorite is by far the Jerry Lynn vs RVD series all the matches except their last one (the one after Lynn had been World Champion). 2 cold scorpio vs sabu for the TV strap was another of my favorites. I don't know if they have one single best match.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts

Douglas v Scorpio from A Matter of Respect 96 is probably the best I've seen. Need to go watch Tajiri's run, though.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts

Question I need help with.

Does anybody know the name of Sabu's original theme music in ECW? I'm referring to the music he used from 1995-early 1998. It really bugs me that I can't find it. I thought it was better than "Huka Blues".
"Little Crazy" by Fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx-dTkVdU4c

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
I was always a fan of the Little Guido/Super Crazy/Tajiri matches but I don't remember much else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts