Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some documentaries that made you think 'holy shit!'. What are your favourites?

Looking to get into some documentaries but don't know where to start.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11, Sicko, Capitalism: A Love Story.

So, yeah, I love Michael Moore.

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
An Inconvenient Truth

Beyond The Mat

Confessions Of A Superhero

Empire of Dreams

Grizzly Man

Hearts of Darkness

Jesus Camp

Man On Wire

Murderball

Super Size Me

- Vic

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts
Bowling For Columbine was really good, as was Fahrenheit 9/11. I actually watched a doc today about the events leading up to the Ali/Foreman fight in 1974, it was really good. My other favs are:

Gonzo
The Wild And Wonderful Whites Of West Virginia
Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster (I hate Metallica but this doc is fascinating due to how fragile these guys are emotionally and the amount of tampons needed on tour for these guys must be insane)
Tyson
The Carter (I don't like Lil' Wayne but this was really interesting)
An Inconvenient Truth
Beyond The Mat
Super Size Me
Super High Me (Yes, this is a legit doc and it's amazing)
Grizzly Man (This guy was hilarious, clearly a closet gay)
The Union (THE documentary about weed. God himself Joe Rogan is in it)

Those are just a few off the top of my head, I know I'm missing some. I love documentaries but those are the ones off the top of my head that stand out.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Hoop Dreams

Grizzly Man

Dear Zachary

King of Kong

Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer

Ghosts

Wrestling with Shadows

Beyond the Mat

Easy Riders and Raging Bulls

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know if you guys will have heard of Louie Theroux, thoroughly enjoyed some of his work. Especially the Brothel episode. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Can't go wrong with Louie Theroux. If the subject that he's documenting is of the light-hearted nature, it can be very funny. See his documentaries on Gangsta Rap and Wrestling. Even if he's doing a doc on Neo-Nazis, it's still worth a watch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wouldnt say An Inconvenient Truth is that good. A lot of it is proven false and is bbanned from schools in the UK due to its false information.

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
Inside Job.
Man on Wire.
Gasland.
Tyson.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Planet Earth/Blue Planet. Any of those big-budget nature documentaries BBC make. Tends to be narrated by David Attenborough.

Also anything Louis Theroux does regardless of subject.

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts
I forgot Pumping Iron, the Arnold bodybuilding documentary from like 25 years ago. Great documentary if you're into working out and everything involved with that world.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
fahrenhype 9/11
The Great Global Warming Swindle
Forever Hardcore

are the first 3 that come to the top of my head

·
Ramble On
11,084 Posts
Restrepo is an amazing documentary. Funny, sad and shocking in places. It follows an American platoon over the course of a year in Afghanistan. It's one of the best war doc's i've ever seen, really gives you an idea of the relationships between the troops and what they go through.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
A couple of Errol Morris ones I've seen are great:

Mr Death: The rise and fall of Fred A Leuchter
The Fog of War: About Robert A McNamara (Sec of Defence)

Also

Capturing the Friedmans
McLibel
Bowling for Columbine

Also saw one once which was a great recount of the whole Jonestown thing in the 60s/70s. I had heard the name but didn't know the story and the conclusion left me absolutely shocked. It's the kind of thing that really puts you there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts