Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit different then the best match or angle of the year but as wrestling fans, what are the best discoveries that you made that you didn't know about before this year and knocked your socks off?

For me, it was discovering old promotions or gaining new appreciation to something that I didn't appreciate before.

Stan Hansen vs. Andre the Giant - Thanks to the New Japan 80s set, I found this match. Might possibly be the greatest and my most favorite match. This has everything I wanted in a wrestling match: molten hot crowds, two big guys slugging it out and out of control action. Even with a double DQ in the end, it still felt right as the action was so out of control, the ref couldn't do anything. Andre was amazing at this time and Hansen is too cool for school.

Memphis - This promotion, like Mid-South, had it all. Great brawls, title matches, feuds, tag team wrestling, juniors wrestling, Jerry Lawler being on the same level as Ric Flair and completely underrated wrestlers that changed my opinion of them. Watch Koko Ware's match with Ric Flair for proof.

Mid-South - Another amazing 80s southern promotion. Discovering these promotions made me realize how 'meh' WWF was in the 80s. A really great storyline driven promotion with some of the best booking around. No wonder Paul Heyman took as many ideas from this promotion as he did from FMW for ECW. Terry Taylor is still boring.

New Japan vs. UWF feud - Knew about this feud for years but didn't get to really watch it and discover it as I had this year. Their multi-man elimination matches are the best I've ever seen. These matches also disprove the idea that the Japanese crowds are stoic and silent.

These following are not discoveries but things I found a new appreciation for:
Lucha Libre - While I enjoyed lucha in small slices in the past, it wasn't anything I took too seriously. After really delving into tape trading again, I discovered that lucha is one of the best styles in wrestling. It's not just silly "flippity floppity" (coined from this forum) moves but there is some really great psychology, heat and storytelling that can't be matched anywhere. The El Hijo del Santo/***** Casas feud is one of the best I've ever seen. Lucha also seems to be the only thing keeping me from totally giving up on modern wrestling these days.

Dick Murdoch - A wrestler who I digged but never absolutely searched for when looking for wrestling. After discovering his matches in Mid-South and other places, he is just as great as Stan Hansen in my opinion. His style perfectly fits my taste in wrestling these days. He's a tough, mean old bastard who will knock your teeth out if you look at him sideways.

Shoot Style - Something that I really got into recently. I've watched it and enjoyed some matches in the past, but something I've never actively sought after. I think this is a perfect bridge between wrestling and MMA. These wrestlers are tough as nails.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
I watched Chikara, Dragon Gate & FCW for the first time this year. I also watched Dynamite Vs Tiger Mask for the first time as well.

·
WF's AKB Fan
5,757 Posts
Chikara, watched it since King Of Trios and have been watching it ever since, probably my favorite promotion right now.
Also watched Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe & Aries vs Danielson (from 2004 I believe) for for the first time, I thought they were awesome.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I started watching some mid-90s joshi for the first time this year, now I'm trying to get my hands on as much as possible. Pretty awesome stuff.

It's not really a "discovery" per se, but Evolve started up this year and I've really enjoyed all of their shows thus far. Each one seems to be getting better, too.

And of course I've known about New Japan for years, but over the course of this year I started watching as many of their complete shows as I could get my hands on, and I truly believe they're the greatest wrestling promotion on the planet right now.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Got into some AJPW,NJPW,BJPW, UWFi a little Joshi and more PWG/ROH.

There's so much stuff on youtube from Japan.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
SHIMMER, ROH (more of a redicovery in this case, I used to watch it in the early years but lost touch), PWG. I've checked out Evolve and DG USA, not a massive fan overall but I like some of the people.

Oh, and I've discovered I have some free time on Thursdays, 9-11 pm :p

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
The Models

·
Registered
639 Posts
I watched a lot of puroresu media - mostly 80s stuff and NJPW vs. UWFI feud & all Tokyo Dome shows, which I can find. That was awesome.

I also watched WCW from october 1995 to 1997 - nitro after nitro. Great times.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Jun Kasai

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
Jon Moxley and Evolve Wrestling.

I'm not generally an Indy fan but Gabe's a fantastic booker so I always keep up to date with Evolve and DG:USA. I love the sheer concept of Evolve and I really do hope that they stay afloat for the long-term. Some mistakes were made in the early-going continuity-wise but it's still a great promotion and, unlike ROH and the others, it's legitimately cutting-edge and different.

Moxley I had never heard of until seeing some of his promos on YouTube - he completely blew me away. He's, in my opinion, the best talker in the business, and he's only 24 years old which is quite ridiculous when you look at how good he already is. In the ring he's not your typical Indy guy either which I personally like. He has a good look, though will probably be sporting the shaved head before long. He's something of a hybrid between Raven, Austin and Jack Swagger. Tommy Dreamer's a huge fan of his so I imagine TNA will have first dibs on him.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,269 Posts
Chuck Taylor. I had seen some of his matches before and I was a fan of him but I thought of him more as a comedy wrestler. Now I've had the chance to see him wrestle live a few times and he is one of my favorite guys on the indies. He had that fantastic match with Claudio at Evolve 3 and when I did my Evolve/DGUSA/Chikara Triple Shot he went from being a wrestler that I really liked to one of my favorite wrestlers.

Other than some new wrestlers I really haven't discovered all that much other than the fact that I love indy wrestling. A year ago I was really watching everything. Raw every week, TNA, and some indy shows. Now I watch Raw sporadically, don't watch TNA when I'm home and kind of bored, but I still fucking love indy wrestling. I know there have been a lot of complaints about the overall state of wrestling around the world but I really think that this year has been my favorite as a wrestling fan. I've seen so many great matches in person and I really am lucky with how many different companies I've had the chance to see live. I've slowed down a little bit on the DVDs but everything that I've been buying I've really enjoyed.

·
Registered
12,014 Posts
Dick Murdoch is probably the most influential wrestler of all time. And he was so damn great.

NWA Hollywood produce a match of the year every week. Most underrated show on tv and most underrated promotion.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I watched NWA Hollywood and wasn't impressed at all except for their production quality really.

I also discovered more Puro this year ,saw all of Kobashi's and Misawa's raved about matches.Discovered some top class talents like Ibushi ,Devitt etc

Also feel in love with Chikara .I used to watch recommended matches ,that was about it.The BDK is the best storyline to hit the indy scene in quite some time besides Steen/Generico .Also discovered Evolve ,love the idea but havn't seen any thing that would make me buy the show.There is usually an immense match ot two on everycard though.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
Probably grumpy old bastards in pro-wrestling. Tenryu, Kanemoto, Black Terry, Jumbo, Hansen, etc. Guys that just channel complete comtempt for their opponent especially. Tenryu's probably the best ever in that respect. Wasn't exactly a "discovery", since I've liked those guys for years (although Terry was a guy I never payed a ton of attention to until midway through last year), but at this point there isn't much in wrestling that provides more entertainment to me personally than Tenryu assaulting people and being a cantankerous old bastard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts