Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss says "Being nice is not important if you are not interesting and can't do the work. I rather hire a shitty talented person than a nice dumb person." I noticed this is true in many aspects of the world. People are tolerant of douchebags especially if they have amazing talent or charisma. Example: Fans hate Roman and Natalya for sucking and being "charisma vaccuums" yet they love CM Punk and Sasha Banks despite the latter two not being the nicest people. Fans often cheer heels and boo faces. (e.g. Rocky Maivia and Cena) You see it in movies. Fans love Joker over Batman in The Dark Knight even though the former was the villain because he was entertaining and charismatic.

Do you agree with the sentiment that talent and charisma trumps kindness in business and entertainment? So not including personal relationships cause I assume that you would want friends and significant other to be genuinely nice.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,474 Posts
If a nice person was talented and charismatic they would be catered to as well but the issue is it's the ego that gets worse with talent and success therefore bad people are heavily favored over good people, Face it barely anyone is humble if you met just about as many people as you could in your lifetime.

Now about the workplace scenario I bet a shitty person who's useless would get a worse rep than the better person I guarantee it.

·
Pretty Good
553 Posts
Of course you shouldn't hire an incompetant person just because they're nice, but generally speaking I think being a nice, decent sort of person does go a long way. I prefer to hang out with nice people even if they are a tad on the boring side than I do charismatic people if they are complete arseholes.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If a nice person was talented and charismatic they would be catered to as well but the issue is it's the ego that gets worse with talent and success therefore bad people are heavily favored over good people, Face it barely anyone is humble if you met just about as many people as you could in your lifetime.

Now about the workplace scenario I bet a shitty person who's useless would get a worse rep than the better person I guarantee it.
I know a guy who is popular because he's charming, good looking and talented/smart but kind of a dick. And I know a guy who's extremely nice but not very smart and also awkward and cause of that, he's not very likeable to people.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course you shouldn't hire an incompetant person just because they're nice, but generally speaking I think being a nice, decent sort of person does go a long way. I prefer to hang out with nice people even if they are a tad on the boring side than I do charismatic people if they are complete arseholes.
That's why I mentioned outside of personal relationships. Everyone would want friends and partners to be nice to them I assume.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,609 Posts
The team I work with are really nice and two out of three of them are shitty workers. If it was up to me, I'd rather they be assholes who worked hard.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Workplaces don't have a good atmosphere with antisocial people no matter if they're good at the job or not. You end up with a high staff turnover as there's no reason to stay if you have no loyalty to your boss, your job or your work friends.

Building relationships and making friendships at work is a vital part of growing/being promoted. You'll only go so far in life being the moody guy in the corner who doesn't want to join in on any activities.

·
From parts unknown
23,257 Posts
Personally, I don't care about things like niceties, attitudes etc unless it's in a personal setting with friends. I hold myself and my friends to a high standard when it comes to how we engage with each other (preferring to be nice and cordial because ultimately harmony is good for groups as opposed to discord obviously)

As far as work/professional life is concerned, an overly nice attitude tends to get in the way of getting results. Sometimes you can make the sacrifice "just to be nice" if the stakes are low, but by and large if you err on the side of being nice all the time, you need to be aware that you're essentially choosing a less successful professional life because that's how the world is. (It doesn't have to be, but every single time humans have tried to work together, it hasn't worked either so perhaps at this point we need to accept that humans are incapable of creating systems for the greater good).

Personally, I'd rather be nice than a shitbag, but doesn't mean that my niceness is a weakness. I can and do stand up for myself and others and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but fuck them. I don't live for them. I live for myself and my close circle of family and friends, or colleagues if they so need it.

You cannot be a pushover because an asshole will come for you. This is just how the world works.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
It's important when it comes to your family, partner and friends, of course. For work colleagues and other acquaintances, respect is more important than niceties. I try to be friendly with whoever I meet, but even if it's someone I'm not clicking with for whatever reason, I'll still show them basic respect. Unless they are a complete twat obviously.

In work you should always try your best to have a good relationship with your colleagues, you're going to be seeing them more than you do a lot of your friends and family, so if you can develop a friendship it makes things much easier.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Both.

What am I agree? Being Mr. Nice Guy will not take to be some important.

What am I disagree? It doesn't mean you have to be unpolite and shitty.

Things are not totally black nor white. Have you ever tried assertiveness? You know, The way to achieve a mutual agreement?

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Niceness and work ethic are not mutually exclusive things. You can be good or bad at a job and be nice OR a dick.

However: One should always STRIVE for niceness unto their fellow man...always. We really undervalue the lasting importance of even the smallest kind or unkind act.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
You need both. Sometimes nice people keep the workplace in check and are glue people. Useful assholes however are capable of great ideas if you can get over how shitty they are as people.

If everyone in a workplace is an asshole, it can implode with all the egos. If everyone is too nice and not bold enough, you can get stale.

It is up to a boss to see the value in EVERYONE, and put them in the right positions to make use of their individual personalities and talents.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You have to be competent at your job in order to keep your job in any field. In wrestling, it really does not matter if they are nice or assholes. I do believe mic skills and gimmick is slightly more important than in ring performer but I tend to like in ring performers more. In life, being nice is important toward moving huminity foward. In America, we are having too many shootings due to it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think this varies in your work area. For example I worked in retail 6 years and let me tell you being nice gets you very far with customers. Showing respect and as well showing knowledge gets you far the charisma let alone will draw the sale.

However even if your not nice, but very talented than that also work. But that depends in what environment you work in. For example if you are talented, but rude in programming you don't need much interaction just make an excellent program and your set.

So in a way I would disagree with your boss I think being nice is very important in life overall. However sometimes being a a dick well can get you far just depends on your situation.

As well why do people like Punk (I dont know about Sasha Banks shes like whatever to me) he just has great charisma. He is good at the mic can't deny that so that appeals to you and knows how to work a crowd.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Incorrect, unless you're being nice to a serial killer

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I'd disagree, but I can see where your boss is coming from. I'd say that being kind is a talent for some and I do think it's important in terms of establishing any sort of strong interpersonal relationships regardless of context.

·
Premium Member
17,151 Posts
talent and charisma trump everything. I made an intentional pun. Donald Trump is the president because of his charisma.

People will always look the other way or excuse shitty behavior if you're interesting or giving them what they want.

Reactions: attituderocks

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I prefer to work alone for this exact reason. I don't have the patience to put up with stupidity or shittiness. Kill me before I ever have a job that does team building exercises.

If I were forced to choose, however, I'd go with nice and dumb over asshole with talent. Dumb can be trained. An asshole is always going to be an asshole. Most all animals can be trained to a certain extent. Even dumb humans. Except for cats. Because cats are assholes.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I certainly think from experience that assholes tend to get more respect from people because they know they can't walk all over them. I honestly think that my biggest flaw is being too nice to people, you assume that because you care about people and look out for the interests that they will hold you in high regard......they don't, they just see you as a push over and therefore purely treat as a backup rather than a priority. Plus the minute you stop taking shit from people they look at you like you are a psychopath because they don't expect you to tell them to fuck off.

Generally speaking I think there is a good middle ground, you should treat people with respect but ultimately look out for yourself primarily. You need to make yourself happy at the end of the day. If someone compromises that then its time to tell them where to get off.

I certainly can't be arsed these days in faking politeness to people if they have shown no respect towards me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts