Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As seen below, a fan has tweeted video of Seth Rollins and RAW Women's Champion Becky Lynch taking questions at their Gorilla Position Live event in the UK last weekend.
Rollins was asked how involved Vince McMahon is with creative, and what he would do if he ran WWE creative. He chose to pass the question to Lynch, who commented on how much WWE content there is.
"Being a part of creative is so hard, right? We all have opinions and being a wrestling fan is hard, right? Because we all have opinions and we want to see things a certain way. There's so much content, there's so much friggin' content," Lynch said. "There's 7 hours of WWE a week, for crying out loud, and that's without a pay-per-view.

"I think I would give the wrestlers more freedom to talk and to be able to cut their own promos. Because we know ourselves, we know what our mission is, we know why we want to do things, we know why we don't like people. And if we don't know those things, then we shouldn't be in WWE, my God. Right?"
Rollins also commented on the massive load of weekly WWE content and called it crazy compared to other TV shows. You can see the full clip below:
Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/12/becky-lynch-on-keeping-up-with-the-load-of-wwe-content-each-663523/

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,752 Posts
She's right. AEW gives their talent so much more freedom on the mic and their promos come out more genuine and passionate. Moxley and Cody's promos are fuckin awesome every time. Doesn't sound like they're reading off of a piece of paper word for word. Same goes for the rest of the charismatic talent in WWE. If Becky had been allowed more freedom on the mic, I'm certain she would be even MORE over than she was in late 2018. Everything that she tweeted would have been said through a live mic, plus more. She straight up would have gone Super Saiyan God lol. Becky with Moxley/Cody level mic freedom back then would have been on another level. Its crazy when you think back on it, if she had been handled correctly, and if Becky vs Rousey was allowed to play out organically to the live audience leading up to a No DQ match at WMania, Becky could have reached Austin/Rock levels.

And yes, there is WAYYYYYY too much content in WWE. Absolute overload for the people who keep up with everything.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Listen I'm in favor of creative freedom, but some people just can't really do it and stumble over their words. I truly believe the Lana/Lashley/Rusev storyline is a test of can wwe as a company handle talent without a script and giving them bullet points to hit. As I pointed out there's talent that can probably do with ease no script needed, But others I feel would need that script so they can hit every mark on point so they don't trip over their words.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Listen I'm in favor of creative freedom, but some people just can't really do it and stumble over their words. I truly believe the Lana/Lashley/Rusev storyline is a test of can wwe as a company handle talent without a script and giving them bullet points to hit. As I pointed out there's talent that can probably do with ease no script needed, But others I feel would need that script so they can hit every mark on point so they don't trip over their words.
Yeah, that's a good point. There are people who can cut a great promo with just bullet points or even on the fly, and those that cannot. There are people who can work a match on the fly with little or no pre-planning, and there are those that cannot.

Back in the day, the ability to do cut promos or work matches on the fly used to be one of the things that helped people rise to the top. Now, it's the ability to passionately recite memorized lines and accurately execute the pre-planned sequence of moves that seems to be what the wwe looks for..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Really depends. For some people like Becky Lynch. She knows what’s up. She’s focused, knows her opponents, what to say, and how to say it. For others, it’s a big challenge.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
There are some talent that can't function when told " say whatever you want" that's probably why AEW wont let Jack Swagger talk, he is a talented athlete but that's it there.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Really depends. For some people like Becky Lynch. She knows what’s up. She’s focused, knows her opponents, what to say, and how to say it. For others, it’s a big challenge.
This is what I think happened with Lana during her current feud, they told her point blank your going out there without a script and hammer home the fact your getting a divorce and filled a restraining order on him. As you see she flubbed that up big time, where Lashley had to remind her the correct way it was to be said. Then I think they gave her a sheet with bulletpoints for the "live divorce" segment and she bombed at that, I feel her next promo is going to be heavily scripted.

·
Angry at refs
2,829 Posts
It's meant to be sink or swim. If someone can't cut a promo THEN you can help them with scripts. The whole point of wrestling is to be charismatic, even in the ring.
If you can't do that then you don't even deserve to be in the midcard tbh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts