Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People I hear in the IWC, keep talking about the Becky hype dying down. Well to me it is no shocker. She was a true underdog, the anti hero of WWE. Fighting the machine. The moment Vince relinquished that strangle hold. And she went over in the main event of WM. Regardless of what people think of the actual match. She made it to the top of the mountain. Where does she go from here? Downhill. That is not a slight on Becky. I Think she is very charismatic, and a great performer. I personally would of booked Charlotte to win the belts. And have Becky and Charlotte feud. Even if it is the billionth C and B Feud. They are the Orton and Cena of the Womens Division. But you would still have Becky as an underdog.

What do people think that Cena/Becky segment was for, pre mania? Passing the torch in some ways. Becky is the new Cena. Tall Poppy Syndrome well run wild in her career from this point on. People who claimed to love her, well no longer profess too. Believe it or not some in the wrestling community turned on Rock and Austin. Internet was just as prevalent it is now.

My point is I think people were expecting to much post mania. Problem with giving the audience what they want. Their is nothing left to give. I feel Rondas departure has made the womens divison feel increasingly obsecure.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,535 Posts
I feel she needs to feud with Shayna pretty soon, There's plenty of reasons for Baszler to want to avenge Ronnie's loss at Mania, Seems out of the question now that she's stuck in NXT.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,544 Posts
This is the thing with Underdogs, with anyone who fits the mould of being held down, or held back. Once they've achieved the very thing that they were being held back from, thats really it. It would've happened with Bryan post WM30 if he didn't get injured, and the Kane feud was a start in that direction. Its happened with Kofi already (the flip flopping WF members dont help), and its happened to Becky. Once they've climbed that mountain that the character arc revolved around, things can only go downhill.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think they maybe had a story for her with Sasha after Mania planned but obviously that couldn't happen so they had to go with Lacey instead. And it's hard to really invest in a story where you don't really care much about the opponent.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The Becky Two Belts thing was actually really good and was over with the fans but the WWE had to scrap that in order to give Charlotte another meaningless title win. Becky's new character was at her best when she wasn't an underdog, they reverted back to that character trait and damaged her character because of it. Much like with DB, Becky has evolved pass being an underdog and should never be booked like one again. The only good thing about Becky facing Lacey is that Becky has pretty much been dominated this entire "feud", it's one-sided as it should be because Lacey isn't a credible threat. But Becky really doesn't have anyone to feud with on Raw because of what Ronda did to the division, with Alexa possibly still being uncleared to wrestle and Sasha being absent the Raw women's division is at it's weakest point at the moment, possibly the weakest a woman's division has been in the WWE since women like K2 and Nikki Bella were champions.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,178 Posts
This is the thing with Underdogs, with anyone who fits the mould of being held down, or held back. Once they've achieved the very thing that they were being held back from, thats really it. It would've happened with Bryan post WM30 if he didn't get injured, and the Kane feud was a start in that direction. Its happened with Kofi already (the flip flopping WF members dont help), and its happened to Becky. Once they've climbed that mountain that the character arc revolved around, things can only go downhill.
This.

You'd think they'd stop with this lazy booking story.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,544 Posts
The Becky Two Belts thing was actually really good and was over with the fans but the WWE had to scrap that in order to give Charlotte another meaningless title win. Becky's new character was at her best when she wasn't an underdog, they reverted back to that character trait and damaged her character because of it. Much like with DB, Becky has evolved pass being an underdog and should never be booked like one again. The only good thing about Becky facing Lacey is that Becky has pretty much been dominated this entire "feud", it's one-sided as it should be because Lacey isn't a credible threat. But Becky really doesn't have anyone to feud with on Raw because of what Ronda did to the division, with Alexa possibly still being uncleared to wrestle and Sasha being absent the Raw women's division is at it's weakest point at the moment, possibly the weakest a woman's division has been in the WWE since women like K2 and Nikki Bella were champions.
Do Alexa fans actually have zero self awareness? Do you know how absurd it is that Bliss fans keep throwing this statement around? I get you're upset because Ronda came in and ended Alexa's reign of terror, but the division that Ronda Rousey was handed was in tatters because of Alexa's reign of terror. I think you know its true as well.

And Nikki Bella is one of the better Female Champions in recent years. Good promos, good matches, and never buried anyone.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Correct.

Bryan's injury saved his aura. He'd reached his career ceiling. He was never going to have a sustained run like Austin, Hogan or Cena. He just didn't have that sort of appeal.

It's perhaps the same with Lynch. Flashes in the pan, who then become reliable upper mid-carders.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Underdog booking was hurting Becky more than helping it. With the situation on Raw, Becky pretty much has to build a couple of them from scratch. There's options out there that people will act like they aren't invested in, but they only do it because they aren't options that they would book.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Exactly. Once she channeled her inner "man" she was at her best when booked as a badass. Around the time Charlotte was inserted into the feud they started booking her like an underdog and it just didn't work.
What hooked people on Becky/Ronda was 2 badasses who hate each other and want to beat the shit out of each other. The feud cooled off when they tried to get Charlotte in there and put Becky back into the underdog mold.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,267 Posts
The injury angle and being booked as an underdog has killed the aura. Why should she have ever been booked as an underdog going into WM when she was going to win it all? Tapping out to Asuka and not tapping out Asuka as revenge for Royal Rumble, an injury, winning the main event of WM in a flukey fashion and dropping the Smackdown title in her first defense killing the Becky Two Belts angle. There was no reason for her to lose to Asuka via tap out. It made no long term sense for Charlotte to tap out Asuka and be in the match. The finish of that match made no sense, Becky being the kind of champion to get cashed in on made no sense, the underdog booking of having to defend both titles on one shows and failing at it made no sense.

During the underdog and injury angle, Becky Lynch was already a 2 time Smackdown champion who beat Charlotte Flair in a Hell in a Cell match for the title, retained it at Super Show Down and went over Charlotte in a Last Woman Standing match. Is that an underdog's resume?

But WWE couldn't book its way out of a wet paper bag when it comes to babyfaces with a little edge, or the tweener types. Everybody's gotta be a Cena clone, yet Cena's babyface underdog White-Meat "hope spot" booking didn't make any sense for almost a decade of his career, either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just can't take Becky seriously. That wrestlemania main event, ironically, will forever be a black mark in her career not because she won the two belts but the way that she won it. And she botches in almost every damn match so there's that

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think they maybe had a story for her with Sasha after Mania planned but obviously that couldn't happen so they had to go with Lacey instead. And it's hard to really invest in a story where you don't really care much about the opponent.
I'd say that's pretty optimistic.
Alexa called out Bayley and Sasha on twitter. It was planned to do something with her.

It would be pretty weird for Sasha to walk out because she's back in the title picture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts