Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm honest enough to admit I'm part of the bandwagon.
Barely anyone cared about CM Punk before that point and you know it.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
I'll be honest...He's the reason I started getting back into WWE on more than a casual basis. What can I say, im a sucker for amazing promos.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
Was aware of the guy well before he ever set foot in a WWE ring, one of the reasons I started following the Indies for a few years is because I kept hearing the names CM Punk, Samoa Joe & Bryan Danielson in late 2004/early 2005. But ironically first saw him in TNA in 2003 and his stupid Pepsi tattoo is what made me take notice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I and many others did, but I don't see your point. Do you understand how superstars are made and how they gain fans? They do so by doing something special that gets them over. Before that point people either don't take notice of that person or perhaps they don't like them. But moments in WWE such as Punk's shoot promo are what make people fans of superstars.

Thus, your point doesn't make sense and is invalid. The fact that a lot of people weren't fans of his before the shoot just shows that he hadn't done anything too noteworthy to be talked about and be liked by so the masses and a few people on this forum who weren't previously fans.

I hate this term "bandwagon" as if to say that everyone flocks to a superstar like sheep. People choose which superstar to like because they admire their work, not because it's the cool thing to do...

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I marked for Punk after the shoot promo, until he won the title in Chicago. That's all. Nothing after that, nothing before. It wasn't even the shoot promo. It was the idea that he was leaving with the title. Effectively, I only marked for him for one day, in the title match against Cena and MITB solely because he would have brought the title away for WWE. I would have marked for any pretty much any other wrestler in that slot.

·
Asuka
96,238 Posts
I got on the bandwagon when the Jeff Hardy feud started, so I can't say his current character has anything to do with me marking for him, but I do prefer this character to the Straight Edge preacher, for as great as that one was.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
I didn't become a legit mark until he started commentating. I did LOL hard when he said big is not funny and nobody likes him.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
I've been a fan during his whole WWE tenure, but I probably started to 'mark' for him when he won his first MITB and I released they were actually going to push him to a world title. But there's been plenty of opportunities for people to jump on the bandwagon, not least of all his fued with Jeff, and his commentary on NXT/Raw.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
When he turned heel and went all Straight Edge on everyone's ass, especially Jeff Hardy. That's when I began to get on the Punk bandwagon. Never liked him as a face when he first came into the WWE. Had heard of his work from the Indies but never really watched much of it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would say people "cared" about him during his feud with Hardy, they fucking hated him, but they sure cared...

The only reason people stopped caring about him up until the shoot promo, is because he was booked like shit and people had no reason to give a fuck. Punk can make the most of anything he's given, but you can't polish a turd. As soon as he was given an opportunity, within a month he went from being a directionless, mid-card heel in a go-nowhere stable, to one of the top 3 guys in the company and the current hottest property in wrestling..

To answer your question, I've been a fan since the Hardy feud. Before that, I thought he was OK, but really he was just a bland face. Once he was given a chance to portray an interesting character, his talent really became evident.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Nope.

Always liked him cause he's been talented for a long, long time.

·
Banned
1,054 Posts
I've always liked him, mainly because of his long hair... But... I lost major interest in wrestling up until all this has happened, so I thank him for that and I'm proud to say that's why im marking for him now.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
The idea that Punk was not incredibly popular pre-MITB is an utterly ridiculous one. I've liked the guy since I saw him in some crumbling promotion on the Wrestling Channel. There are many others who will say similar things.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I got on the bandwagon when the Jeff Hardy feud started, so I can't say his current character has anything to do with me marking for him, but I do prefer this character to the Straight Edge preacher, for as great as that one was.
Pretty much all of this. I had been out on wrestling for years until I turned it on one day at random and saw Jeff Hardy talking with a ladder in the ring and said to myself, "This is sort of cringe-worthy." Then Punk came out and did his thing, and I said, "Wow. This guy is GOOD. He's going to be huge some day. I should probably start watching wresting again." And then I did.

·
Registered
796 Posts
To be honest:
Those who havent realised his great talent, not only on the mic, or commentary, but especially in the ring before that shoot: should ask theirselves, whats wrong with their perception.

CM Punk is doing great especially in the ring since day one in the WWE (not to forget his matches in indy leagues before).

But even if people just got aware of him after the shoot, it was just a question of time.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts