Wrestling Forum banner

Is Cena a self-made Wrestling-Superstars because of his wrestling skills?

• Yes

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets be honest guys.

Nobody would give a fuck about Cena if he:

1) wasnt given the White-Rapper-gimmick (at the right time), which lead to a Eminem-affect in the WWE (the WWE jumped on the Eminem-bandwagon)
2) wasnt given the Marine-Gimmick (at the right time).

He isnt a selfmade star: as e.g. Daniel Bryan, CM Punk + many others are.
He is a made star:
His character is made a la Chuck Norris, a person who cant lose (at least not fair).
And for all those kids, who believe in such tales, he is the star and they buy his products, and who sell most products is the strongest guy, which for wrestling fans is annoying.

But Lets be honest: would anyone of you be a Cena fan, just because of his (wrestling) skills?
Does anyone of you believe that Cena would make it to stardome without those gimmicks, just because of his (wrestling) skills?

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
What is your anti-crusade about of Cena not being good or not deserving the credits he gets from others around here?

Cena can wrestle and wrestle damn good. Anyone denying this at this point is just doing it for blind hatred.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Winning™;10343631 said:
What is your anti-crusade about of Cena not being good or not deserving the credits he gets from others around here?

Cena can wrestle and wrestle damn good. Anyone denying this at this point is just doing it for blind hatred.
That is actually not the question.
The question is, is Cena a self-made wrestling-star because of his wrestling-skills as e.g. Daniel Bryan.

And it is not about hating Cena it is about respecting the wrestling skills of others, which are not given their chances, as they should deserve regarding their wrestling skills.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Well, of course Cena is not the best, in ring wise. But he isn't even horrible and is one of the best overall wrestlers in the company right now. His popularity is on mainstream appeal, media presence, and raw talent but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It can be with certain talent but not Cena.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, of course Cena is not the best, in ring wise. But he isn't even horrible and is one of the best overall wrestlers in the company right now. His popularity is on mainstream appeal, media presence, and raw talent but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It can be with certain talent but not Cena.
Thats the point.
And because he is (almost) always winning, and he is not the best, the wrestling culture and the recogntion of casuals for wrestling skills is dropping.
And that is critical.

How is this Chuck Norris stuff with Cena contributing to rise the wrestling culture again in the WWE?

The main guy is not delivering as much as the others, and still he is unbeatable.
What is the sense about it?

·
Banned
156 Posts
He wasn't given the white rapper gimmick.

Cena was a guy who loved Rap and Hip-Hop music, Stephanie approached Cena and said he should use his material for promos. All his rapping promos were written by himself.

So what if he's not a self made star? a lot of guys in the WWE were not self made stars.
Some would say Hogan was there at the right time, same as Rock and Steve Austin.

Cena is a Hogan like character, Vince obviously likes guys like that because it makes him money. Cena is the company guy and brings in shit loads for Vince and works hard behind the scenes.

I liked Cena's old gimmick, it was the rapping gimmick that got him over, not his wrestling skills. But so what, Rock wasn't that great a wrestler either if he didn't have his cocky gimmick would people have noticed him? Cena's not a great wrestler by any means but he has some talent there (he knows more than 5 fucking moves and i am tired of Cena haters saying Lulz he only knows 5 moves!!1) he's decent in the ring when he ain't being lazy, which unfortunately is a lot of the time.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Eeeeh, I don't understand your point. The gimmick, charisma, etc are the most important things about a pro wrestler. For me a guy with a great gimmick can be more "self-made" than a wrestling machine with a shitty gimmick or uncharismatic. But I guess a Shelton Benjamin's fan cannot understand that...

A wrestler is a guy that tells you a story in the ring. Doing one thousands suplex and moonsaults are pretty good if you have the skill of tell a story using these moves and the charisma/gimmick/mic neccesary that make the fans turn into you.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what if he's not a self made star? a lot of guys in the WWE were not self made stars.
Some would say Hogan was there at the right time, same as Rock and Steve Austin.

Cena is a Hogan like character, Vince obviously likes guys like that because it makes him money. Cena is the company guy and brings in shit loads for Vince and works hard behind the scenes.

I liked Cena's old gimmick, it was the rapping gimmick that got him over, not his wrestling skills. But so what, Rock wasn't that great a wrestler either if he didn't have his cocky gimmick would people have noticed him? Cena's not a great wrestler by any means but he has some talent there (he knows more than 5 fucking moves) he's decent in the ring when he ain't being lazy, which unfortunately is a lot of the time.
So what?

I tell you so what, as i have already said it thousand times.
The influence of such characters is leading to a very low level of wrestling culture.
The recognition for wrestling masterpieces is sinking. We have witnessed some really great stuff in the past in the wwe (there was also a hell lot of shit, but that is an other topic) with the audience not recognizing it.

I feel sorry for the superstars, if i see a great match and they dont get their cheers.
I feel sorry for the superstars, who are performing great against Cena, and Cena wins although he is (as you would say it) lazy.

And that wouldnt happen, if the audience would be aware of wrestling skills.
They would also boo Cena for a bad match, and not just cheer coz it is en vogue.

The match between Cena and Del Rio was the badest of the night, even Mark Henry match was better, and still the noice during this match was very good. That is annoying.

If you look at football or anyother sport, if the home team (in wrestling it is the face who the fans are cheeiring for) is performing bad or lazy, the fans whistle and boo, because they wanna see the highly paid superstars give everything they have.
Why isnt that in the WWE so?

·
Banned
156 Posts
Oh and this is sports entertainment... where you need charisma and gimmicks to get you over. You could go into the ring and do 100 moves, if the crowd isn't responding or don't give a fuck about you then it's all for nothing.
Cena from the get go managed to get reactions he had charisma, he put himself over & the crowd just followed him.

Cena is booked badly a lot of the time, that is something that annoys me.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eeeeh, I don't understand your point. The gimmick, charisma, etc are the most important things about a pro wrestler. For me a guy with a great gimmick can be more "self-made" than a wrestling machine with a shitty gimmick or uncharismatic. But I guess a Shelton Benjamin's fan cannot understand that...

A wrestler is a guy that tells you a story in the ring. Doing one thousands suplex and moonsaults are pretty good if you have the skill of tell a story using these moves and the charisma/gimmick/mic neccesary that make the fans turn into you.
Bullshit, the commentators are telling the story, the wrestler are just contributing to it.
A wrestler is a part of the story but not the only important part.

Which just show us, that all that shit can be built around other guys, too.

The fans are cheering for "unbeatable" guys, so it doesnt matter if it is Hogan, Cena etc.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and this is sports entertainment... where you need charisma and gimmicks to get you over. You could go into the ring and do 100 moves, if the crowd isn't responding or don't give a fuck about you then it's all for nothing.
Cena from the get go managed to get reactions he had charisma, he put himself over & the crowd just followed him.
he was put over, due to his gimmick and his chuck norris skills.

daniel bryan is putting himself over, same goes for cm punk.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im sorry but cena cant wrestle
it is not that he cant wrestle.
When he is not that lazy, he actually shows some style.
but that is very very very very very seldom. and still no one is booing him for bein lazy.
that is shit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep this going please - I love reading Complaints from wrestling nerds.

This is world wrestling ENTERTAINMENT... If you care so much about guys that are perfect wrestlers, go watch some other form of wrestling...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Umm, first of all on your basis no one is self made . Because whether you like it or not every superstar needs the approval of the WWE before putting a character out there.

With that said, please learn your facts. Cena was not "given" the rapper character . It was actually because Stephanie heard him rap and they let him use that character . All of his early raps were written by him . And it was his charisma that got the charcter over with fans. And the FANS turned him face.

Cena would not be in that position had the fans not turned him face , first. Once a full face by the fans, WWE machine changed his character and saddled him into a pure babyface. It was this move that created a fracture between the fans of the "old edgy/Cena" and the fans of his "new/pure babyface" character.

Learn the facts.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
How is he not a Self Made star?

He did make it to the top on his own just like every other top guy. He is dedicated and a good wrestler.

Trust me this is the thread about CM punk in ten years. These IWC fools never stop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts