Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Actually Charlotte is someone who usually needs writing, because off-script she is by far one of the worst interviews & promos I've ever seen in pro wrestling.

Charly: "Charlotte you put on an amazing performance tonight, how did you find the adversity to outlast 29 other women in the Royal Rumble?"

"Ummmm.... duyyyee....... I dunno cuz I'm like, Charlotte Flair 'n stuff..."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No ... this really doesn't help OP. If he really thinks Owens is a bad talker, there's nothin in AEW that he'll rate either.

The fact is, wrestlers are generally good at wrestling. The promo skills aren't exactly secondary, but the expectations are way lower. People seem to think that today's wrestlers are all terrible compared to the glory days ... but the fact is, it has ALWAYS been rare to have wrestlers that are outstanding at promos.

We happened to get Rock and Austin at the same time, and that was good times. And they overlapped with Vince being a great heel, and Jericho, Angle coming up. But really, who back in the day was actually better than the people we have now?

In all honestly, GREAT promo skills are always slim pickings. I've mentioned Rock, Austin, McMahon, Angle. Who else? Bret Hart? lol DIESEL? Fuck, no. Even HBK and HHH were only mediochre. I guess Road Dogg was good at delivering his 3 same sentences every day ...

75% of the roster weren't even trusted with a live mic at all. At least today, we can get Owens, Becky, Styles, Orton, Heyman, New Day, McIntyre, Rollins ... and they can all deliver a promo that gets the point across, as well as entertains.

Are they all amazing? Of course not. But like I say, the average skill level is better than ever if you ask me.

Plus, don't forget that these days, there's the added difficulty of remembering the pages of lines written for them. Back when people claim everything was better, they'd be making it up on the spot, making it way easier to cover up slips.

Hell, Kurt Angle, who everyone will agree was a brilliant promo, was often seen redoing sections of his promos, live, switching the way he was holding the mic so he could tell the guys in the truck which take to use for video packages ... We were just way less harsh in critiquing every second of the product.
Hbk and HHH mediocre? I dont know what to say that. Imo they've always had excellent mic skills and charisma. Was HBKs character a bit corny ?sure. Honestly like I said earlier alot of promos that I've seen in wwe lately are just not good. I cant take kevin Owen's or daniel Bryan seriously if they're after a world title.. they're just not that entertaining with a mic. I do agree that mic skills are secondary however if you're mic skills suck dick consistently... Just wrestle maybe 😄

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
  1. He's still pretty damn corny and over the top. I've been watching him since his indie days and his quasi-Joker act has never been great. Don't get me wrong, it's a good act but it has never surpassed good. He needs to decide whether he wants to be a serious badass or someone who makes the crowd laugh.
Hell, I'll admit that's an answer I didn't expect, most people will agree Moxley is a fucking badass, specially if you compare him with his old self Lunatic shit? It's totally a different persón.

·
Likes wrestling....
7,948 Posts
It’s bad writing. Watch the Dean Ambrose interview with Chris Jericho. He tells it exactly how it is. Then go watch his material in AEW. The writing is just abysmal because it has to be child-friendly and easy to understand. Vince McMahon’s sense of humour is also that of a 13 year old teenager.

if you look at Mcintyre, his edge has pretty much gone. he has started pandering excessively to the crowd. He will get booed by the end of the year.

Roman Reigns was ruined by the script fuhrer
100%

They no longer understand how to write a good lead male babyface it seems. It's like even the gifted ones, as soon as they turn face, they just turn into the same character. The mid card guys get less "direction" so some of them still feel like decent faces. But as soon as someone becomes "the man" gheez...It felt like maybe Bryan was an exception, but probably because he was not Vince's choice?
People are not going to like this but even the feel good story of the decade is about to get booed again....their going to hurt Roman again this WM season IMO

·
Registered
278 Posts
100%

They no longer understand how to write a good lead male babyface it seems. It's like even the gifted ones, as soon as they turn face, they just turn into the same character. The mid card guys get less "direction" so some of them still feel like decent faces. But as soon as someone becomes "the man" gheez...It felt like maybe Bryan was an exception, but probably because he was not Vince's choice?
People are not going to like this but even the feel good story of the decade is about to get booed again....their going to hurt Roman again this WM season IMO
it's also they try the same midcard storyline with the same people, just wondering why? Oh! look Lana's a cheater on Rusev how surprising? And when you try to push for cliffhangers in storylines they snuff them out instead of building of them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Effort.. I expect effort. Simple effort. Effort from the leadership to competently lead, effort from the talent to push for better, effort from the leadership not to punish those who naturally get over, effort from the talent to get over, effort from the crowds to not be zombies or self absorbed when actually given good content.

Effort.

I think the fact that WWE never runs long story lines anymore, and to be completely honest, I really think both WWE and AEW are both really just gutless companies that just want to tow the line.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Hbk and HHH mediocre? I dont know what to say that. Imo they've always had excellent mic skills and charisma. Was HBKs character a bit corny ?sure. Honestly like I said earlier alot of promos that I've seen in wwe lately are just not good. I cant take kevin Owen's or daniel Bryan seriously if they're after a world title.. they're just not that entertaining with a mic. I do agree that mic skills are secondary however if you're mic skills suck dick consistently... Just wrestle maybe 😄

Bryan bad mic skills, no charisma..are you serious?

Charisma is compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

A guy with little or no charisma wouldn't have a crowd going apeshit like this

Or this

Bryan hasn't looked out of place in-ring promos with guys like HHH, Cena, punk, rock so the argument he can't promo is miles off

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bryan bad mic skills, no charisma..are you serious?

Charisma is compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

A guy with little or no charisma wouldn't have a crowd going apeshit like this

Or this

Bryan hasn't looked out of place in-ring promos with guys like HHH, Cena, punk, rock so the argument he can't promo is miles off

I think it all comes down to opinion. I dont think hes all that great but hey.. apart of it is the script and his character.. I dunno I'm not feeling the whole "yes"catchphrase. but to be honest idk much about daniel Bryan im getting back into wrestling and somewhat making judgements off of a few programs I've seen. Which maybe isnt fair but I'm really trying to see what I like about the wrestlers characters first of all. It could his demeanor his catchphrase whatever it is about I cant say I'm feeling him yet. I'm a bit critical and new to this roster so I may need time. Guy seems better than Roman Reigns. All in all if you're mic skills are boring you dont deserve a mic dont care if you're a workhorse or not. Wrestle and dont talk 😄

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was also shocked at how awful the general promo level is from a bunch of highly paid professionals. The reason imo is not bad writing because, The Rock, or Randy Savage or Hogan, would deliver great promos literally saying anything because they have the charisma to back it up, so bad writing is a poor excuse. The current generation lack charisma, and even basic acting , their delivery is friggin awful regardless what they are saying, they are so stiff and not believable at all. WWE need to work harder on finding charismatic actors.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You either have charisma or you dont.

Very few, imo of course, in this era have charisma.

Very few stand out and make me want to watch.

Bianca Belair stood out in the rumble to me. The camera loved her and I thought she was great.

Bayley on the other hand is just bland. Nothing about her. Likewise most of the spot monkeys.

Yeah the writing makes a difference but we seem to have a roster filled with Chris Benoits and very few Ultimate Warriors.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Austin does not actually have great promo skills. His most famous promo is like two minutes long and in his podcast he comes off as boring. Austin was all about script writing and gimmick with promos that were good enough for his role.

Rock has great promo skills but even The Rock can come across as bland sometimes in interviews etc...

So with Austin good writing/character made up for not having amazing off-the-charts promo skills.

CM Punk good charisma but he doesn't have chemistry with the rest of backstage so he always comes across like he's working off a different page. So sometimes chemistry matters too.

Ric Flair/Daniel Bryan found something that worked and ran it into the ground...Though Daniel Bryan does have some peaks and valleys in the Yes movement.

But usually complex wordy promos don't get over with the crowd look at Cody/Brandi Rhodes in AEW. It's like a literature essay compared to most prowrestling.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Austin does not actually have great promo skills. His most famous promo is like two minutes long and in his podcast he comes off as boring. Austin was all about script writing and gimmick with promos that were good enough for his role.

Rock has great promo skills but even The Rock can come across as bland sometimes in interviews etc...

So with Austin good writing/character made up for not having amazing off-the-charts promo skills.

CM Punk good charisma but he doesn't have chemistry with the rest of backstage so he always comes across like he's working off a different page. So sometimes chemistry matters too.

Ric Flair/Daniel Bryan found something that worked and ran it into the ground...Though Daniel Bryan does have some peaks and valleys in the Yes movement.

But usually complex wordy promos don't get over with the crowd look at Cody/Brandi Rhodes in AEW. It's like a literature essay compared to most prowrestling.
I believe chemistry matters a little bit in Austin's most famous promos came from the chemistry of who he was working with, you said they are boring on his podcast but who is he exactly bouncing off of? I mean Austin 3:16 worked cause he was bouncing of Jake Roberfs, some of the promos between Hart and Austin worked, Austin and Mcmahon, The Rock/Austin worked cause they were bouncing of one another. If you don't have a good dance partner your going to end up looking stupid and foolish.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts