Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly havent watched an episode of Raw or Smackdown in years. Until this past Royal Rumble and Raw tonight. While watching Raw I wonder why I was viewing such garbage and why it was so bad. Must be the bad script writing, bad acting, lack of charisma. Daniel Bryan Kevin Owens and even Charlotte Flair have cringeworthy mic skills. Call me a hater but being a wwe fan for so many years.. its dissappointing to get back into it seeing all this. But I'm not completely discouraged I'm seeing some things that I like. Randy Orton and edge feuding and bray wyatt.. It's just.. can't wwe do better than this?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I feel you. it always surprises me when many reasonable people talk about Kevin Owens like he could be a huge star. Whenever I watch him or listen to him, he just screams "low-midcarder" to me. And the very same can be said about 80% of the roster.

·
Registered
760 Posts
A lot of talks have shown that they've let superstars have a lot more freedom on the microphone recently, I think it was McIntyre who said it I don't remember but they're told to go out there and address the bullet points given within a certain amount of time. Promos currently still aren't amazing but over the past year it's madly improved from what it was so I'll give them credit for that.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,864 Posts
Lack of Authenticity and the ability to resonate with the crowd is what the issue is, You either have it or you don't.

Drew for one is believable in his position right now but that doesn't mean he's suddenly reeking of Charisma he's still the same guy but utilized correctly for a change, He's a beast himself and warrants a big time match just by putting out the feelers.

·
Premium Member
11,511 Posts
It’s bad writing. Watch the Dean Ambrose interview with Chris Jericho. He tells it exactly how it is. Then go watch his material in AEW. The writing is just abysmal because it has to be child-friendly and easy to understand. Vince McMahon’s sense of humour is also that of a 13 year old teenager.

if you look at Mcintyre, his edge has pretty much gone. he has started pandering excessively to the crowd. He will get booed by the end of the year.

Roman Reigns was ruined by the script fuhrer

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I even thought edges script was a little corny but his charisma and great acting skills made him pull it off. The child friendliness is a big problem for me. I feel like a majority of what I'll be looking forward to is the wrestling which isnt bad. But I am definitely feeling the bray wyatt character. Hes like a more sadistic mankind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Exactly in a PG PC family friendly corporate America type atmosphere , I don't exactly know what, some of you people even expect?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Watch AEW.
You're welcome.
No ... this really doesn't help OP. If he really thinks Owens is a bad talker, there's nothin in AEW that he'll rate either.

The fact is, wrestlers are generally good at wrestling. The promo skills aren't exactly secondary, but the expectations are way lower. People seem to think that today's wrestlers are all terrible compared to the glory days ... but the fact is, it has ALWAYS been rare to have wrestlers that are outstanding at promos.

We happened to get Rock and Austin at the same time, and that was good times. And they overlapped with Vince being a great heel, and Jericho, Angle coming up. But really, who back in the day was actually better than the people we have now?

In all honestly, GREAT promo skills are always slim pickings. I've mentioned Rock, Austin, McMahon, Angle. Who else? Bret Hart? lol DIESEL? Fuck, no. Even HBK and HHH were only mediochre. I guess Road Dogg was good at delivering his 3 same sentences every day ...

75% of the roster weren't even trusted with a live mic at all. At least today, we can get Owens, Becky, Styles, Orton, Heyman, New Day, McIntyre, Rollins ... and they can all deliver a promo that gets the point across, as well as entertains.

Are they all amazing? Of course not. But like I say, the average skill level is better than ever if you ask me.

Plus, don't forget that these days, there's the added difficulty of remembering the pages of lines written for them. Back when people claim everything was better, they'd be making it up on the spot, making it way easier to cover up slips.

Hell, Kurt Angle, who everyone will agree was a brilliant promo, was often seen redoing sections of his promos, live, switching the way he was holding the mic so he could tell the guys in the truck which take to use for video packages ... We were just way less harsh in critiquing every second of the product.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I watched the Royal Rumble and RAW this week.

I think it's a mix of both. I mean the production is horrible (it's even more obvious when you stop watching for some time), so it does not help fighters who for the biggest part have low charisma.
The promos are a mix of bad delivery and bad lines. It's just a weird show, they're trying to make it a sport or something. I don't see the point of it.
Even AEW is shit. It's like good for 2 weeks, because it's another format with actual HD cameras. But then it becomes just as horrible as WWE.

Wrestling in general is bad. It's not appreciated or validated in general culture. So what do they do ? They either make a niche product to the fucking extreme that only the nerdiest of us wrestling nerds can watch or they try and seek the validation of the general culture in the more whoring way possible. Like even something like the Street Profits, which is a good idea has to be overdone, when it's the easiest thing ever. It's not surprising tho because the people who write it and the corporate don't understand anything of the culture. Fuck man, it's so depressing that I can't fully enjoy something that I love like wrestling.

·
Aviary Bro Fist
14,043 Posts
Exactly in a PG PC family friendly corporate America type atmosphere , I don't exactly know what, some of you people even expect?
Effort.. I expect effort. Simple effort. Effort from the leadership to competently lead, effort from the talent to push for better, effort from the leadership not to punish those who naturally get over, effort from the talent to get over, effort from the crowds to not be zombies or self absorbed when actually given good content.

Effort.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Leave it to WWE to completely micromanage and destroy any form of charisma it's wrestlers may have.

It cannot be the talent.

Drew will look as bland as a wall and will be booed in no time

·
Registered
600 Posts
Speaking verbatim from a script and infusing emotion into it is one of the most difficult things a person can do. It's what actors do. What has been happening is that WWE tell their entire roster to act. The problem is, wrestlers cannot act, and when they try the promos come off as monotonous and contrived. The only way to get a non-actor like a wrestler to come across as authentic is to completely throw away verbatim scripts and move to bullet points. Now the wrestler doesn't need to act; instead, they can just express by focusing on the content rather than the delivery, and usually the delivery comes more natural and therefore more authentic.

This is just one aspect of promo delivery that contributes to the perception of the product.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Watch Jon Moxley on AEW and then watch Dean Ambrose in WWE.

Comeback at me after you did it, tell what you think.
He's still pretty damn corny and over the top. I've been watching him since his indie days and his quasi-Joker act has never been great. Don't get me wrong, it's a good act but it has never surpassed good. He needs to decide whether he wants to be a serious badass or someone who makes the crowd laugh.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts