Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I can't be one of the only ones that appreciated BNB back in the day. I only had limited access to WWF then and the few times I saw him I thought there was such potential, but he always seemed to be holding back?

Then I found out years later he was a Judo champion and that explained it - he was highly skilled in a martial art so was a genuine tough guy.

Of the matches I remember him in one against Bret Hart was a classic, but annoyingly the match went over it's time limit or some such BS.

I reckon if he was in his prime as a wrestler now he would still be a bad-ass!

RIP BNB

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
He was, but he didn't have a lot of moves. He was best squashing Jobbers. Interestingly, he was supposed to be on Ted Dibiase's Team at Survivor Series 1990, even appearing in a photo with the team, but he quit the company and was replaced by a mystery partner who turned out to be Undertaker.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
I loved every little thing about the dude, especially his scowl and the ghetto blaster finisher. His only problem was that he was born too soon. He was already slightly past his prime by the time the wrestling boom took off.

·
Likes wrestling....
11,030 Posts
He was a piss poor worker who didn't like to do jobs which is why you saw all the shitty finishes in his matches. Undeserving if you ask me.

- Vic
Interesting Vic, I have honestly never seen anyone slam him within the IWC.

I always read praise. I guess people just run with the fact that he was one bad dude in real life and give him props for that.

I agree with you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
OP - I'm afraid I've got some bad newwwws (in my English accent too).

Thought he sucked, and seemed to bring x-pac heat. Nothing jumped out about his work.

With all due respect / RIP and all. But nah, not underrated or overrated. Just bad news.

60,006 Posts
Allen Coage was a legit tough guy. He won a bronze medal at the 76 Olympics game which was/is unprecedented for an American judoka.

I liked him as Bad New allen, then Bad News Brown in WWF. I always liked reading stuff about him fromstampede when I heavily bought all the Apter mags and the like.I thought the ghetto blaster was a decent move for the times and he did have an aura of bad ass around him.

May he Rest In Peace.

·
Registered
21,665 Posts
Bad News Brown was the first ever heel that I liked. I really related to him, how he's try to just do his own thing but when others got involved there'd be some mis-understanding, he'd kick ass and then just walk out. Loved it.

In hindsight, not a huge fan but really loved it as a young kid watching those old WWF tapes. I specifically remember lending a Summerslam tape off a mate and really loving whatever Bad News did on the show. I really need to go back and watch those...on tape!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Allen Coage was a legit tough guy. He won a bronze medal at the 76 Olympics game which was/is unprecedented for an American judoka.

May he Rest In Peace.
V.true.

But still thought he sucked. On par with Red Rooster IMHO.

No problem with talent or legitimacy. Poor booking and a level or two ahead of Brooklyn Brawler. 3 lasting memories, WM 4, RR90 & WM6 = None of which were great.

Ghetto blaster was mean though, simplistic and different in that day.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Terry Taylor was a fantastic worker and trainer, Bad News Allen was fantastic in ring too, a legit badass Brock Lesnar wouldn't want to mess with in his prime.

Much rather watch them wrestle than todays spot monkeys.

Bad News Brown was the Stonecold of his era, i bet Steve was influenced by him.

Both deserve more respect.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
i made the mistake of watching his shoot it's legit two hours of how he was the toughest guy to ever step foot in a ring and no one could touch him. now i'm not denying the fact he was a legit badass with a judo background but PLENTY of guys could have kicked his ass.

·
Registered
229 Posts
"RIP BNB"? Easy there, someone'll inevitably think you're referring to Barrett and have a heart attack.

Anyway, yeah, he felt like a slightly less entertaining Ahmed Johnson at times, but Brown was cool in his own right. Something-something Andre the Giant, something-something bus.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
V.true.

But still thought he sucked. On par with Red Rooster IMHO.

No problem with talent or legitimacy. Poor booking and a level or two ahead of Brooklyn Brawler. 3 lasting memories, WM 4, RR90 & WM6 = None of which were great.

Ghetto blaster was mean though, simplistic and different in that day.
Terry Taylor was not limited to the Red Rooster. He was one of the top wrestlers of the 1980's, show some DAMN RESPECT!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bad News Brown, a real bad ass, a poor worker.

Its hard to do something with a guy as stubborned as he was. Plus he claimed that Vince had promised him a title run ( which Vince used to tell everybody to bring them over anyways) and just had a bad attitude after he realised he wasn't gonna get a title.

Some guys have a different mentality about how the business should work, he had his view, which wasn't shared by alot of guys, that he should go over cause he was a legit bad ass ( which he was ) and I believe backstage politics got the best of him.

Let's face it, if you're stiff in the ring, ill tempered, have a bad reputation ( cause he would intimidate you if he didn't like you ) and you can't work that good, what are your chances of having a long career in the WWE?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts