Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Triple H was on Stone Cold's podcast he mentioned that they try to break some of the NXT wrestlers from their "bad Indy habits". I've also heard Dave Meltzer and Paige mention this as well.

So does anyone know what some of these "bad Indy habits" are exactly?

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
When Triple H was on Stone Cold's podcast he mentioned that they try to break some of the NXT wrestlers from their "bad Indy habits". I've also heard Dave Meltzer and Paige mention this as well.

So does anyone know what some of these "bad Indy habits" are exactly?
Dunno, whatever it is though they're doing pretty well. All work very well in the "WWE style" bar Itami who is getting there gradually.

Maybe, for Owens, it's keeping in contact with the crowd, and maybe even instead of shrugging off botches, making fun of the fact it happened, and WWE see that as unprofessional? That happens a fair bit in the indies. :side:

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I'd guess it's probably stuff like having a slower pace of competing(since WWE matches are generally much slower pace so they last longer/take up more of the show), and doing things to interact with the crowd. And not just thinking cause they're good in the ring,it means they should be getting pushed. There's more to being a WWE superstar than just how someone can compete in a match.

Like HHH said, some guys just go to NXT and act almost like they're entitled to getting a certain type of treatment cause of their reputation outside of WWE. People should be coming to NXT ready to learn whatever they need to learn to transition into WWE style. Going from being a "wrestler" to a "sports entertainer".

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Pulling out awesome moves.

Reactions: STP

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
- Emulating their Puroseau heroes

- Too many fucking chops

- Being more entertaining than Raw

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
My guess is teaching them to tell a good story in the ring and not pull off dumb & dangerous spots all the time just for the sake of getting a pop from the crowd.

·
How you doing?
4,958 Posts
Balor said that one of the things he had to learn is making sure you face the camera at the right time (during moves).

·
None but ourselves
3,430 Posts
Very good responses so far, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is scaling your match according to its position on the card. I know this is largely the domain of the agents/producers but there's still a 'steal the show' element and if nothing else then the desire to put together the most mind blowing match even if you're low down the card.

I could never put my finger on why I couldn't watch an ROH (2004-2009 era) show in one sitting, I loved the matches and actually felt cleansed like after eating a healthy meal but I couldn't take more than an hour or so tops. Various astute wrestling minds helped point me to the realisation that it's because the matches didn't escalate in excitement/emotion as the show progressed, everyone was out there to steal the show in every match.

To the undisciplined mind this might seem like a great approach because more wild matches = more "this is awesome" surely but there's only so much emotion and excitement a human being can invoke before they're drained. We all know how Taker vs Michaels at WM25 killed the Triple H vs Orton main event just like Rock vs Hogan killed the Triple H vs Jericho main event at WM18 - that's the importance of building to a crescendo, you don't want to peak to soon and you certainly can't have nothing but crescendos just as you can't have a mountain with nothing but peaks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Selling more I would think, working at a slower pace as well. Their theory goes that you sell more and work at a slower pace as it allows the audience to digest what just happened before you transition to the next big move. It also allows the commentary to sell what you're doing to the audience at home (On the main roster they don't even call the action in the ring anymore, so that doesn't even apply).

On the indies more often than not you're not working for the cameras, but in WWE you almost always are, outside of house shows of course. Not just any cameras though, but the hard camera, so there's certain angles you need to work toward. So anything you do needs to have that aspect primarily in mind, even the way you sell. You're conveying emotion to the audience at home so your head needs to always be up so you can better convey that emotion with your facial expressions (You should really be doing this anyway, Indies or not).

All this being said though, modern day WWE, the main roster especially over-produce their matches Ad nauseam. So many of the recent big matches have been contrived and unnatural. I often wonder if anyone calls anything on the fly anymore.

Rollins vs Ambrose 30 min Iron man match on FCW was better than anything they ever put on during their main roster rivalry and that had everthing to do with every single one of their matches being overbooked gimmicks.

They need to allow their performers the time, space and freedom to put on more natural performances and stop micro managing them the way they are, not force everyone to work the same exact style.

For me the current NXT roster talent wise isn't even that much better than the main roster but because they're allowed that freedom, their matches are so much more entertaining, natural and make so much more sense.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yes because lord knows those matches on RAW are telling a better story than what is going on in NJPW, ROH, PWG, AAA, and others. /S
Unless there's a special match taking place on Raw, WWE save their storytelling for their PPV/Takeover matches. And I'm not saying they tell a better story than all those the companies but you don't need to do stupid, unneccesary, dangerous shit like this to tell a good story and get the crowd invested.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Appealing to the masses. :evil
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

You sir, are my favorite poster today.

Bad habits are doing things that are original. You can't have that in the WWE.

·
Since Day One
9,907 Posts
I'm
Very good responses so far, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is scaling your match according to its position on the card. I know this is largely the domain of the agents/producers but there's still a 'steal the show' element and if nothing else then the desire to put together the most mind blowing match even if you're low down the card.

I could never put my finger on why I couldn't watch an ROH (2004-2009 era) show in one sitting, I loved the matches and actually felt cleansed like after eating a healthy meal but I couldn't take more than an hour or so tops. Various astute wrestling minds helped point me to the realisation that it's because the matches didn't escalate in excitement/emotion as the show progressed, everyone was out there to steal the show in every match.

To the undisciplined mind this might seem like a great approach because more wild matches = more "this is awesome" surely but there's only so much emotion and excitement a human being can invoke before they're drained. We all know how Taker vs Michaels at WM25 killed the Triple H vs Orton main event just like Rock vs Hogan killed the Triple H vs Jericho main event at WM18 - that's the importance of building to a crescendo, you don't want to peak to soon and you certainly can't have nothing but crescendos just as you can't have a mountain with nothing but peaks.

I remember Justin Credible saying the exact same thing.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Balor said that one of the things he had to learn is making sure you face the camera at the right time (during moves).
The whole stuff of Balor at the start of his NXT sounded like a cool story. Learning to face the camera at the right time, and especially the whole entrance stuff, how not only was he getting help from HHH about getting the entrance right, but how he was talking about how nobody had ever once told him anything about camera placement/entrances or anything like that.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Unless there's a special match taking place on Raw, WWE save their storytelling for their PPV/Takeover matches. And I'm not saying they tell a better story than all those the companies but you don't need to do stupid, unneccesary, dangerous shit like this to tell a good story and get the crowd invested.

But they dont... You cherry picked 1 gif of one move to try and make your point, you cant lump that in with all the companies I listed who all consistently tell a better story and build to the big shows better than the WWE.

The fact is you have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts

Why not though? Casuals prefer cool spots and flashy stuff over slow boring wrestling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Facing the camera

Getting your match timing right b/c it's critical on live TV

BLATANTLY slapping their leg to emulate a kick sound (C'mon Eddie Edwards, at least TRY to hide it)

Slowing down....

Using more generic, safer moves

Weak lock ups....or locking up when it's supposed to be a personal blood feud

Just a few off the top of my head

1 - 20 of 42 Posts