Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Fearless University Graduate
14,988 Posts
Why should they? They got more viewers than AEW and people go crazy for stuff like Lana`s wedding. :(
Well a better product where hard work is rewarded as opposed to burying everyone who puts in effort and endlessly pushing the same boring, lazy, untalented chosen ones would make the Wrestlers happier and make it even easier to re-sign with WWE. Guys are only staying with WWE because of the money at the moment, the McMahons are killing off an entire Generation of Pro Wrestlers passion and enthusiasm by only pushing the absolute crap that suck some McMahon dick backstage and refusing to push anyone with talent and/or passion.

I don't see how you can knock them for re-signing. Let's say the guy they talked to was Cesaro, he uses AEW for leverage and he gets a bigger contract for fewer dates, yeah his booking is never going to improve but at least he knows where he stands with WWE.

If he would've signed with AEW he might have ended up a bodyguard like everybody else on their roster over 6' tall. He might end up wrestling on Dark every other week like Luchasaurus, but most likely he would've ended up in a bunch of pointless tag team matches like almost everybody not name Jericho, Cody or Moxley, and isn't that exactly what he's doing right now in WWE, just for 2.5x as many viewers?
Alot of people still hang onto this idealised idea we had for AEW, not wanting to admit it actually sucks overall. I mean on top of those issues relevant to Cesaro the Womens division is complete and utter garbage, and the tag division isn't much better, maybe even worse.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Big Jericho fan, but he himself confirmed that he chose not to sign with the WWE because of the money. He told Vince what AEW were offering him and gave Vince the opportunity to match it, and Vince refused.

AEW still has a long way to go before they can catch up to RAW or Smackdown. The entire landscape of wrestling will change as soon as AEW manages to get serious TV deal money (like the one that WWE gets). All in all, I'm very pleased as to how AEW has managed to secure a $45 million TV deal in less than a year on TV.
45mil a year is not as much as you think it is because we don't know how much is being divvy upped, it allows them to clean up the product but not go on some wild spending spree. If anything this should make AEW fans upset, because the WWE wrestlers are just using AEW as leverage to get better deals with the WWE.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
45mil a year is not as much as you think it is because we don't know how much is being divvy upped, it allows them to clean up the product but not go on some wild spending spree. If anything this should make AEW fans upset, because the WWE wrestlers are just using AEW as leverage to get better deals with the WWE.
What other wrestling company has a TV deal guaranteeing them $45 million or over per year besides WWE?

·
Registered
528 Posts
AEW has been awesome for the industry as a whole. WWE is trying 20x's harder than it was 18 months ago. ROH just handed out a big contract to try to grow its business back. MLW is riding the momentum and hopefully inks a deal with Showtime soon. Honestly Impact is the only loser thus far, maybe NJPW a little as their American division will likely never get off of the ground now with AEW dominating the 3rd level of fans that aren't already hooked on Raw & Smackdown.

AEW needs to keep going with what they are doing. The shows since 2019, from 1/1 and on, have been amazing. Last night was the kind of show that people will look back on as a milestone, the night that the build to Moxley officially began, all on a kick ass boat with killer atmosphere.

Raw ratings are up from last year, Smackdown ratings are up since moving to Fox (was happening without AEW obviously), and AEW is this close to getting their demo back into the .4's.

All in all it is a great time for wrestling. I am a huge AEW fan but the benefits for WWE fans are countless. Lets see if Mox can get that demo up to .4 every week and see how that helps the industry, not just AEW.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Best time ever to be a wrestler and a promoter but the worst time ever to be a fan. With how desperate TV big shots are for live programming, these companies are essentially being highly subsidized for mediocrity.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sceptcial about that website. Their "reveals" were always fake in the past (like big Iconics push after the call-up, Cass-Carmella fight..) and they seem to just write down what they think would make sense out of their perspective. The wrestlers here just talk like fans on social media do. For example: you think current wrestlers would in reality compare their contract to WCW? That's decades ago and the wrestlers have seen many other promotions they actually worked for to compare. The website clearly just follows the fan meme about WCW contracts.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The problem here is the telling of the story.
I heard rumours, that the AEW show was sold kinda cheap at the TV negotiations. No wonder, because AEW is the 3rd show at the moment, not the 1st or 2nd. Also they still are using that money from outside and gave some people extremly good contracts (which have to be paid in future also). The moment Tony Khan (or his dad) is tired of it and let it run on its own feet, I doubt there will be a lot of options to invest into big names.
So the alternative doesn`t mean automatically a well paid option, especially if your are WWE midcarder/lowcarder.

The people at WWE got for sure the numbers from that TV deal and will observe how the Khans move. Fighting with endless money from outside the wrestling is one thing, but fighting with money made by wrestling another.

So the interesting times are still to come ...
You have to remember AEW can't start by charging high it has to start slow and build slowly. Its like Amazon it was a tiny company and hell was it losing money back in the days well tables have totally turned. I am hoping AEW will grow better as time goes by. Competition is always good because when their is competition their is alternatives. WWE use to be hella of a show, but things have really changed how bland its turned to be.

·
Baby Yoda
29,161 Posts
Yeah, AJ is probably going to wrestle to his late 40s. Probably will get less dates and can work at the same slow pace he is now. He's taken everything flashy or difficult out of his arsenal. He basically does nothing now, jobs and makes more cash.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,682 Posts
Good for AEW & AEW talent
Depends on what you are talking about. A
You have to remember AEW can't start by charging high it has to start slow and build slowly. Its like Amazon it was a tiny company and hell was it losing money back in the days well tables have totally turned. I am hoping AEW will grow better as time goes by. Competition is always good because when their is competition their is alternatives. WWE use to be hella of a show, but things have really changed how bland its turned to be.
I have to disagree. "think big" works and Tony Khan`s dad got money like crazy. No reason to start slow. To bad, they are already investing their money into some strange people.

·
Hardcore Casual
624 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think they are going the wrong path by limiting their distribution in North America so much. Currently it is far more expensive (again, in North America) to legally obtain AEW content than anything related to WWE. If you compare a cable package + $40-$50.00 per PPV, you're expecting fans to fork over ~$100.00 relative to the $10.00 a month WWE charges (granted, you have to wait a month for the weekly shows, but whatever). I highly doubt they are going to generate as much interest as they want in the 18-49 demo if they choose archaic methods of distribution. They'll be more likely to be profitable in the short term with TV deals, but their overall exposure will be far less.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts