Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, there are a lot of people in AEW who are happy after hearing about the news last week about their new deal with TNT that extends through 2023 with a fourth-year option for 2024 that would give AEW a significant pay increase.

The wrestlers and staff in AEW are not the only people happy about this news. The morale in WWE is much better than it was just a couple of months ago in part because there is a push from creative to build up the younger talent but also because wrestlers are making more money.

One source noted to me that wrestlers are happy for AEW because this ensures that WWE will continue to give out big money contracts for years to come and wrestlers have more leverage than ever before.

“Guys are making more and they are not afraid to ask for time off like before,” said the source. “We know these aren’t guaranteed contracts like WCW but Vince more accommodating these days because he wants to keep everyone happy so that wall has been torn down. Some people are getting offered more money with a better schedule. We have AEW to thank for that so I would say thank you AEW for being around.”

One person noted how years ago, Vince McMahon would only consider giving a relaxed schedule to guys like Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker but times have changed and some wrestlers on the current roster are working fewer dates, per the terms of their new deal. Randy Orton was already working fewer dates on his previous contract and his new deal calls for a better schedule with fewer than his previous deal.

One wrestler I spoke with had plans to retire with plans to transition into a different role in the business but that wrestler has had a change of heart and will be looking to sign a new contract for more money when their current deal expires. That would not have been possible without the leverage that comes with another major wrestling promotion on the scene.
Source: Backstage WWE reaction to AEW's new TV deal | Wrestling News

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,682 Posts
The problem here is the telling of the story.
I heard rumours, that the AEW show was sold kinda cheap at the TV negotiations. No wonder, because AEW is the 3rd show at the moment, not the 1st or 2nd. Also they still are using that money from outside and gave some people extremly good contracts (which have to be paid in future also). The moment Tony Khan (or his dad) is tired of it and let it run on its own feet, I doubt there will be a lot of options to invest into big names.
So the alternative doesn`t mean automatically a well paid option, especially if your are WWE midcarder/lowcarder.

The people at WWE got for sure the numbers from that TV deal and will observe how the Khans move. Fighting with endless money from outside the wrestling is one thing, but fighting with money made by wrestling another.

So the interesting times are still to come ...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
WWE's product is so hard to sit though these days. Even with guys I like who will be lucky to play 2nd fiddle to the same old. I hate the presentation. The commentary is trash (Samoa Joe was actually pretty solid paired with Vic), the constant rematches and just overall bland predictability.

·
Premium Member
11,221 Posts
Its a shame it hasn't changed the product at all. Still just the same old tiny handful of McMahon pets endlessly being forced down our throats while anyone with any actual talent or passion is an aimless jobber.
this will ONLY happen if AEW start overtaking WWE in terms of viewership. If Dynamite ever move to Mondays, then it's game on. And that will only happen if AEW start doing > 2 million consistently

I am so happy to hear this news otherwise.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
And yet they all shit talk AEW and keep re-signing with WWE rather than jumping to help AEW succeed long term for the sake of the business. This is another reason why Jericho is one of the all-time greats. He could have went back to WWE, he didn't leave because he was unhappy with push or money.

(I think the last person talking is Cesaro. AJ just re-signed, Cesaro seemed resigned to transition to a trainer/PC role and now I bet is reinvigorated by a potential AEW run)

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I am sure that WWE talent are happy because it gives them options but the McMahons for sure are livid about this. They don't like other people in wrestling doing good. It was evident by that stupid comment on WWE's Twitter when AEW whupped NXT's a** on their debut show.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,682 Posts
Its a shame it hasn't changed the product at all. Still just the same old tiny handful of McMahon pets endlessly being forced down our throats while anyone with any actual talent or passion is an aimless jobber.
Why should they? They got more viewers than AEW and people go crazy for stuff like Lana`s wedding. :(

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
And yet they all shit talk AEW and keep re-signing with WWE rather than jumping to help AEW succeed long term for the sake of the business. This is another reason why Jericho is one of the all-time greats. He could have went back to WWE, he didn't leave because he was unhappy with push or money.

(I think the last person talking is Cesaro. AJ just re-signed, Cesaro seemed resigned to transition to a trainer/PC role and now I bet is reinvigorated by a potential AEW run)
Big Jericho fan, but he himself confirmed that he chose not to sign with the WWE because of the money. He told Vince what AEW were offering him and gave Vince the opportunity to match it, and Vince refused.

AEW still has a long way to go before they can catch up to RAW or Smackdown. The entire landscape of wrestling will change as soon as AEW manages to get serious TV deal money (like the one that WWE gets). All in all, I'm very pleased as to how AEW has managed to secure a $45 million TV deal in less than a year on TV.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,297 Posts

I don't see how you can knock them for re-signing. Let's say the guy they talked to was Cesaro, he uses AEW for leverage and he gets a bigger contract for fewer dates, yeah his booking is never going to improve but at least he knows where he stands with WWE.

If he would've signed with AEW he might have ended up a bodyguard like everybody else on their roster over 6' tall. He might end up wrestling on Dark every other week like Luchasaurus, but most likely he would've ended up in a bunch of pointless tag team matches like almost everybody not name Jericho, Cody or Moxley, and isn't that exactly what he's doing right now in WWE, just for 2.5x as many viewers?

·
IRAN #1
2,247 Posts
These guys are going to get paid so much fucking money. Just threaten to leave for AEW and they'll give them whatever they want.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Pretty sure similar was said when ROH was gaining some traction and same with TNA in regards to morale and payment.

·
Registered
826 Posts
this will ONLY happen if AEW start overtaking WWE in terms of viewership. If Dynamite ever move to Mondays, then it's game on. And that will only happen if AEW start doing > 2 million consistently

I am so happy to hear this news otherwise.
It's unlikely to ever move to mondays as the Kahns main money is in Football.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts