Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...on-happy-jinder-mahal-wwe-title-backlash-2017

From a recent interview with the new champion.

“The backstage reaction has been very good. Vince was very happy. He was really proud of me because Vince knows how much work I’ve put in. And, I told Vince, ‘Hey Vince, my goal is to come back every week and improve. Every time you see me perform I’m going to get better on the mic, going to get better in the ring and I’ll be in better shape every week.’ I think Vince really appreciates that and WWE is a place where they reward hard work and I’m an example of that.”
Jinder also said that he only found out he would be winning the title on the day of the match, and that it was the best day of his life.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Glad Jinder has that mindset of wanting to improve on the mic and in the ring. It shows a bit of awareness on his part that he's got a lot of work to do.

I always like hearing the little tidbit of when the wrestlers find out they're winning the belt. Kurt Angle talks about his first time in his book and how he was shocked because he was still a rookie and set to go over The Rock. Jinder finding out the day of makes sense, because he seems totally elated during his pre-match promo, and it lead to the most confident, comfortable promo I've heard him do yet. Big contrast to the last few weeks on SD where he's been too shouty or sounded like he had a bad cold or something.

Jury's still out on whether Jinder can wrestle a good match. But Backlash was fun with Orton taking the lead and the Singhs running interference. Putting aside my hate now and going in with an open mind- Mahal got his character and promo together a bit, if he can bring the matches to a decent level it might be tolerable.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Jinder is lucky son of a bitch.

He came back at a time when WWE really wanted to capture the huge audience in India, he came back looking absolutely jacked, he showed Vince that he was willing to do whatever it took to improve himself and Vince respects that a lot. He's absolutely huge now, that's a right in your face indicator of hard work (say he's on roids if you want to, but there's no solid proof).

All in all, everything was just right for him to succeed. Conversely, Dean Ambrose is viewed by MANAGEMENT as being a lazy bastard. And now we see how they are treating him.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
I'm sure Jinder is probably a nice guy backstage and he works hard, but you can honestly say the same thing about most of the guys on the roster, that doesn't mean that all should get the WWE title. He got a lucky break with the India thing, let's see if he can make the most of it, but so far I'm not impressed

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeah I'm still not buying rewarding hard work, otherwise he wouldn't have been treated like a jobber when he came back, then give him a sudden push when they are doing business in India. However, I will see where this goes.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,425 Posts
The thing I don't get is, if WWE are trying to tap the India market, then why is Jinder Mahal playing a heel? I mean last I checked India take wrestling really seriously so a guy like Jinder is going to be really hated in India. It would have made more sense if he was a face to draw the fans in. But it's not like he a hometown hero over there or anything.

Reactions: SPCDRI and MickDX

·
Finn Bálor, he's one of our own #THFC
226 Posts
The thing I don't get is, if WWE are trying to tap the India market, then why is Jinder Mahal playing a heel? I mean last I checked India take wrestling really seriously so a guy like Jinder is going to be really hated in India. It would have made more sense if he was a face to draw the fans in. But it's not like he a hometown hero over there or anything.
I imagine when he speaks in Punjabi he's a face and pandering to the Indian audience.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,319 Posts
Read or watch Reluctant Fundamentalist man. This is for anyone who questions this motive. Do you think 'USA mode babyfaces' are 'faces' for the rest of the world? Jinder character is good for what it is. There is still enough heelish tactics like Bollywood Boiz but thats for the western part. Anyone who ever experienced prejudice because of their ethnic background will they you that Jinder is not heel and for some from that portion he is a hero. Reluctant hero.

World > USA.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts